U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: (W) KENTUCKY BETTER THAN (E) KENTUCKY
yes 26 66.67%
no 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 02-24-2008, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,269 posts, read 2,928,064 times
Reputation: 5943
Post Kentucky(W) vs. Kentucky(E)?

What is the main difference between Western Kentucky(W of I-65) and Eastern Kentucky(E of I-65)? i have heard that there is a significant difference in these regions of the state is this really true? what is Western Kentucky like? is it like Indiana or is it the same as Kentucky(E)? please if someone could tell me what is the main difference that would be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
 
Location: (Lyndon) Louisville KY USA
5,646 posts, read 12,684,336 times
Reputation: 3611
Economically there is a huge difference. Western KY is much more "urban" and industrialized and thus has much lower poverty rates and higher median incomes. Eastern KY is still basically a mining and tourism based economy.

Here are some maps from the US census which helps:
Percent UNEMPLOYMENT



MEDIAN FAMILY INCOME

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,269 posts, read 2,928,064 times
Reputation: 5943
Thank you for your info
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 04:19 PM
 
2,031 posts, read 4,260,361 times
Reputation: 1260
I think I-75 is the better boundary. However, there are some areas in south central KY between I-65 and 75 that are more culturally similar to EKY. But I-75 goes right through NKY (Cinci metro) and just east of Lexington. Basically all of the cities of any size in KY either straddle I-75 or are to the west, such as Louisville, Lexington, NKY, Bowling Green, Owensboro, Paducah...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 04:21 PM
 
2,031 posts, read 4,260,361 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Economically there is a huge difference. Western KY is much more "urban" and industrialized and thus has much lower poverty rates and higher median incomes. Eastern KY is still basically a mining and tourism based economy.

Here are some maps from the US census which helps:
Percent UNEMPLOYMENT



MEDIAN FAMILY INCOME

I-80 goes through KY??????? That is news to me. Must be a little mess up in their maps.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Far Western KY
1,833 posts, read 4,328,104 times
Reputation: 784
The further West you go the more southern you get, the far western end of the state actually tried to succeed from the state during the Civil War and still has deep southern ties. Western KY, west of the LBL, the Jackson Purchase mainly is called by the locals political Siberia.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 05:10 PM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
5,291 posts, read 7,246,689 times
Reputation: 20952
Davart, since I think you may be close to my old hometown in Graves County, you probably know the civil war trivia about Mayfield. I think I may have mentioned this in another forum, but Abraham Lincoln received no votes in Mayfield when he won the presidential election.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,760 posts, read 7,949,975 times
Reputation: 1889
On the map that shows I-80 in KY, that is actually Kentucky Highway 80 which runs the length of the state east to west typically 30-50 miles from the Tennessee border.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Cecilia, Ky
63 posts, read 202,650 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
What is the main difference between Western Kentucky(W of I-65) and Eastern Kentucky(E of I-65)? i have heard that there is a significant difference in these regions of the state is this really true? what is Western Kentucky like? is it like Indiana or is it the same as Kentucky(E)? please if someone could tell me what is the main difference that would be greatly appreciated!
I live right on I65 (Elizabethtown) and have traveled extensively all over Kentucky both for business and pleasure. I much prefer the Western side of Kentucky compared to the East. If I were to move from Hardin County, it would definitely be to the West. I like the lakes, small town feel of the communities, the travel is much easier (better road system due to no mountains). Far western Ky. is almost like going back in time 20-30 years (or more) which I find most enjoyable. Cadiz is my favorite little town--I may just retire there in a few years. BUT, remember, much of this is just personal preference. I have nothing against eastern Ky., I just wouldn't want to live there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,269 posts, read 2,928,064 times
Reputation: 5943
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxdreamer View Post
I live right on I65 (Elizabethtown) and have traveled extensively all over Kentucky both for business and pleasure. I much prefer the Western side of Kentucky compared to the East. If I were to move from Hardin County, it would definitely be to the West. I like the lakes, small town feel of the communities, the travel is much easier (better road system due to no mountains). Far western Ky. is almost like going back in time 20-30 years (or more) which I find most enjoyable. Cadiz is my favorite little town--I may just retire there in a few years. BUT, remember, much of this is just personal preference. I have nothing against eastern Ky., I just wouldn't want to live there.
I have been through Elizabethtown/Hardin County twice before and loved going there and i would agree going through Western kentucky is like going back 20-30 years and the road are much better in the west
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top