U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,106,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
IMHO Warren Co is central KY it is beyond me why Western U is there, I live over 3 hours west of Western ... now that is western KY.
EKU is in Richmond, which is not Eastern Kentucky in my opinion, it is about as central as you can get. Who knows??? When WKU was named, there probably wasn't enough population west of there to support a university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:03 PM

1,833 posts, read 4,201,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
EKU is in Richmond, which is not Eastern Kentucky in my opinion, it is about as central as you can get. Who knows??? When WKU was named, there probably wasn't enough population west of there to support a university.
What about University of Murray in Murray? Mid-Continent College in Mayfield and a couple of technology colleges in Paducah? There is also a law school in Paducah working on getting their accreditation. And opening in 2009 there will be a art college opening in Paducah. Plus several Community Colleges.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:42 PM

189 posts, read 1,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_family View Post
well we liked the rolling hills, open fields with wooded areas surrounding them. pretty much the rural areas. we arent city people by any means and like the small towns with mom and pop stores. the type of place where i know the people im buying things from and they will know me... over time of course but you get the idea.
..I was very surprised at how much I liked Kentucky when I was transferred there 4 years ago from Detroit. Alas, my job has since sent me to other parts of the country. But I really liked far west Ky by the lakes and may retire there, it was like 'home' to me.
..Kentucky has a wide choice of scenery and type of communities.
Biggest surprise to me was the small towns outside of Lexington- hills, streams, small farms, winding roads, old villages. Like a New England postcard. It reminded me of Vermont where I went to college.
Lexington's newspaper had more than 10X as many 'help wanted' ads as Detroit did, and new housing is going up all over.
I did not get to Louisville often so I know very little about that area.
..Then there's Western Kentucky- very rural. And forget the mountain stereotype- there are none. Elevation ranged from 300' to maybe 700'. Being originally from Nebraska, I preferred this part of the state, but did not see a 'bad part' of the state.
..And I did not see or hear any hostility to outsiders, quite the opposite. (unlike what I heard from some when I was in TN.)
..Funny story, you may 'get it' being from the East Coast. Every store I went into, hiya, how are ya, can I help you, have a great day, etc etc. So much friendliness and familiarity. Foreign to me after so many years in Detroit. It reminds me of that scene from 'Blue Heaven'. Steve Martin, transplanted Brooklyn guy, in the small town store. After so much friendliness, he sneered at one of the cklers " Hey F You"

Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 PM

26 posts, read 50,746 times
haha i love it!! i can certainaly appreciate that. here in mass we dont even talk to eachother in stores lol i usually do , and i especially do when i see that snotty look on their face just to kinda say.... "lighten up will ya". and yes it did remind me of new england a bit, except the climate is much nicer and more what im looking for these days. as for the people, after this thread i cant wait to get there. everyone has been so helpful and friendly its amazing. the other big thing for me is how lax the laws are for riding dirtbikes and atv's. if you havent noticed im a bit of a dirtbike fan and love to ride. up here it feels as tho youll be hung if you ride anywhere. i just checked out the site ruralguy posted and i couldnt believe it, 1000's of acres of riding..... FOR free! massachusetts wants every dime they can get from you and kentucky is just happy to see the old coal mines being used! i cant even tell you all how excited we are to be finally going forward with this move. its been a long time coming!!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 PM

1,833 posts, read 4,201,408 times
Being from Far Western Ky ... I think going to the store at times is a pain ... YES I said it, because you can't just go in and get something and leave you have to stay and chat for about a 1/2 hour or so and sometimes I have to walk in the door and blurt out ... "Don't talk to me! ... I'm already a hour behind." then laugh and start talking and get further behind. I'm joking about thinking it's a pain, but there is no quick trip to the store even if you are the only customer. Everybody has to chat, who needs the newspaper when you have a small town store? You can get world, state, regional, local and community news in one stop. (not to mention all the gossip)
Not only will you find out everything you need to know, but the old men drinking coffee will have all the worlds problems solved by 6AM. Guaranteed! I go into my local country store about every morning and get a FRESH country ham, egg and cheese on toast not one of those dried up heat lamp things you get see a lot of places. I mean fresh made sandwich and fresh hot coffee, and I ask the local think tank, the local brain trust if all the worlds problems are solved and they assure me they are. So I can rest easy and carry out the days work knowing that that world is a little better as all the local older guys have saved the world for yet another day.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:14 AM

6,758 posts, read 14,106,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Not only will you find out everything you need to know, but the old men drinking coffee will have all the worlds problems solved by 6AM. Guaranteed! I go into my local country store about every morning and get a FRESH country ham, egg and cheese on toast not one of those dried up heat lamp things you get see a lot of places. I mean fresh made sandwich and fresh hot coffee, and I ask the local think tank, the local brain trust if all the worlds problems are solved and they assure me they are. So I can rest easy and carry out the days work knowing that that world is a little better as all the local older guys have saved the world for yet another day.
That is so wonderful! AND there is nothing in this world better than a good country ham!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 AM

49 posts, read 122,264 times
Its very true as far as people being very friendly when you go into the stores, and I'm NEVER in anybody's way even though I tend to not pay attention to where I'm walking at times....its just such a huge change of pace here.....
but speaking of country ham...its almost easter..and I have seen the hams hanging up and not refridgerated....I'm sure they're cured but do they need to be boiled before they bake?...I'd like to make one yet I'm nervous as to how to go about doing it....

Old 02-29-2008, 08:56 AM

4,729 posts, read 7,437,350 times
How to fix a country ham? There are thousands of recipes, but I like having a ham sliced by a butcher (actually sawed) as thinly as practical (1/8"-1/4"). Keep the slices so the ham can appear to have never been sliced. Then place the ham in a dutch oven on its side (it will look whole). Mix 24oz of original Coca-Cola, three cups of unpacked brown sugar, 12 oz of pineapple juice, and a tablespoon of whole cloves into a bowl and pour over the ham. Place into a 225 degree oven 3-5 hours (when the meat easily falls off the bones it is done) and basting every 30 minutes until done. My family loves it.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,106,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulabarbie View Post
Its very true as far as people being very friendly when you go into the stores, and I'm NEVER in anybody's way even though I tend to not pay attention to where I'm walking at times....its just such a huge change of pace here.....
but speaking of country ham...its almost easter..and I have seen the hams hanging up and not refridgerated....I'm sure they're cured but do they need to be boiled before they bake?...I'd like to make one yet I'm nervous as to how to go about doing it....
You'd better like salt. I can't handle country ham, I think it is like eating a salt lick. They are completely safe to eat without any baking, just like cured beef jerky is. They are very expensive too, if you haven't had it, try it before dropping the money on one.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:05 PM

49 posts, read 122,264 times
Thanks for that info tomocox, coca cola, huh, far cry from the red glaze i always use..but I will try it...I did hear that country ham is very salty but Im a salt eater more than a sweets eater so I'm all for it....I wonder if cooked that way would it still make a good pea soup with the leftover bone?..I'll try it to find out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky