U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:43 PM

5 posts, read 5,489 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone!
It's been a long-time coming but we are finally fed up with California. Saying we're "mad as hell and not going to take it anymore" would be an understatement. We are looking seriously a KY as our top contender but I have some questions. I visited Bowling Green about 10 years ago on a brief trip and remember loving the small town. I didn't get out and about much but research I have done lately seems to indicate that it has a lot going for it. I especially love its proximity to Nashville. It's hard to beat date night on Music Row. But as I research the state, I feel like I'm seeing more and more towns with SO much going for them. It just seems like we're going to need some help narrowing it down. Bowling Green is the only place in KY I've had the pleasure of visiting. So I'm hoping some of you can help me narrow down the long list of great places to live in your state and get a feel for where to live and where to avoid based on our list of priorities:

Conservative Values : We know that KY isn't the red state people tend to think it is. With a Dem in the capitol we know that we're not necessarily escaping the party that seems to bring havoc down on the state of CA all the time . But there's a reason we're not looking at moving to the red heart of Texas. It'sn not that we want to live in a Democrat-free zone, we we're just looking for a conservative area where our gun-toting republican values and pro-trump political stances aren't going to scare the neighbors. We value diversity, a healthy mix of opinions, etc. But ... let's face it ... it's nice to be among like-minded folks. Just don't want to end up in some kind of liberal Kentucky stronghold .

Small-Town Living: This is pretty straight forward but it's not as much about population as it is about atmosphere. If a town is big but feels small and has the right kind of friendly, down-home atmosphere it's all good. Just no big cities.

Education: We have a young son and would like a place with great education. Kentucky has a lot to be proud of in this area so we know this isn't a hard one to find.

Weather: We know that we are in for a big change moving from the mild temperatures of Northern CA to KY. We just don't want to live in the part of the state where Tornadoes are most likely to touch down OR where the summer heat is MOST oppressive. If it's anything like CA there are sunny places and cold places that only people who live in the state understand (I live in the cold, no-beach, 2-3 ft of snow every Christmas place in CA ... most people don't know my town exists).

Family-Friendly: We want to move to a spot with lots to do for families with kids. Since we plan on being a family with young kids for the foreseeable future, having a place with ongoing activities, points of interest and events for families without having to drive a long way away would be ideal.

Welcoming: California sucks when it comes to friendly neighbors . We'd like to move to a place that is going to be OK with the fact that we're from California and not place us on some invisible "untouchable" list. Especially since you won't be finding any "California PROUD" T-shirts in our wardrobes. We are basically refugees from this state and we'd like to find ourselves a place where we can start over, make friends, and become part of the Kentucky Crew without too much trouble. We think we'll fit in just fine but if there are any particularly outsider-phobic areas please let me know so I can put them on the no-list!

Thank you SO much for your help. I can't wait to get some feedback and start learning about potential new homes for our family! We'd like "dos" and "donts" here so if you know of a place we shouldn't move, please let me know just the same!

Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM

847 posts, read 1,278,098 times
Take a look at London in the South East part of the state. Right on I-75 about 40 miles north of the Tennessee border. There is a thread already started here on C-D with a lot of good information and some bad to go along with it. "London, Ky - info please"

Good luck....Welcome to Kentucky!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 PM

8,063 posts, read 4,377,436 times
There are a lot of towns in Kentucky that match your criteria...compared to California you are going to think almost
every place here is super conservative. (The most Liberal places in Kentucky are the biggest cities - Louisville and Lexington, and in the Cincinnati - Kentucky side suburbs. College towns are often more Liberal also - not sure about Bowling Green though. Bardstown was voted as the
most beautiful small town in America a few years back. Midway is gorgeous - almost a quintessentially perfect small town, at least at face value. Wilmore is also a really cut Mayberry sort
of place - Asbury University ( a Christian College).

What size city/town were you looking for? My Uncle lived the last decades of his life in Bowling Green and loved it.
Well, welcome to the Kentucky forum. Let us know if there is any ways in which we could help you.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:30 PM

12,628 posts, read 5,707,127 times
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are 'californianomore'. I'm a conservative and want out of CA badly but I still have 4 more years before I can retire. I've visited a couple of times and loved it! I do research on different towns in KY and compare things like crime, demographics, access to amenities and so on. I do look at info on how different locations voted in the last election and Crazy Cat Lady hit the nail on the head. If you stay away from Louisville and Lexington, you have a really good chance of moving to a conservative location anywhere in the state even though I think Louisville and Lexington are beautiful with lots of wonderful people. Heck, compared to most of CA, even Louisville and Lexington seem conservative overall IMO but they are becoming more and more liberal. A good example is another thread here about Louisville contemplating becoming a sanctuary city.
If you liked Bowling Green, you should check out Glasgow. It's not that far from BG. It's a decent size town with a population of about 14,000, fairly low crime rates, affordable, parks, good schools, a nice walkable downtown. It's also found on a couple of lists of best KY towns to move to and also listed as one of the most beautiful. I'm sure you'll get different opinions on any town though.
City of Glasgow, Kentucky - 270-651-5131

One thing to think about the climate is that those geographic areas that are a little warmer in the summer are also a little warmer in the winter which is the positive flip side.

Last edited by marino760; 04-27-2017 at 09:48 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 09:52 PM

10,784 posts, read 8,827,479 times
Most Kentucky Democrats, both voters and elected officials, are moderates. They are more like Dwight D. Eisenhower, a progressive Republican, was than Obama is. (though Obama is a moderate Democrat).

That said, you'd be okay in the places cited as "liberal", particularly in Lexington and Louisville. Western Kentucky tends to be more politically conservative than central Kentucky, even during normal political times which I do not view the present as being, but the vast majority of Kentuckians are live-and-let-live types, regardless of their political persuasions.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:37 PM

8,063 posts, read 4,377,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Most Kentucky Democrats, both voters and elected officials, are moderates. They are more like Dwight D. Eisenhower, a progressive Republican, was than Obama is. (though Obama is a moderate Democrat).

That said, you'd be okay in the places cited as "liberal", particularly in Lexington and Louisville. Western Kentucky tends to be more politically conservative than central Kentucky, even during normal political times which I do not view the present as being, but the vast majority of Kentuckians are live-and-let-live types, regardless of their political persuasions.
That is quite true. Most Democrats in Kentucky are moderate, as opposed to being totally Liberal.
And Lexington and Louisville are just more diverse than some of the rural areas and small towns in Kentucky....More so than being just "Liberal" . When voting time comes around Louisville and Lexington usually go blue - and that just really shows up in this red, red state. But the numbers are close - you find and meet
as many Republicans as you do Democrats - as many Conservatives as you do Liberals - But Craigslist is right you would have to say there are probably more Moderates than anything.

To be honest though, I don't see Politics even being brought up much. Except for the signs people sometimes put in their yards or the bumper stickers they might put on their car - I have no clue as to
how most of my neighbors vote. And to be honest, I don't really care about that. In doesn't change my feelings about them, or my estimation of them as a person one way or the other.

Quote:
I do look at info on how different locations voted in the last election and Crazy Cat Lady hit the nail on the head. If you stay away from Louisville and Lexington, you have a really good chance of moving to a conservative location anywhere in the state even though I think Louisville and Lexington are beautiful with lots of wonderful people. Heck, compared to most of CA, even Louisville and Lexington seem conservative overall IMO but they are becoming more and more liberal. A good example is another thread here about Louisville contemplating becoming a sanctuary city.
Well, yes as matter of perspective even Louisville and Lexington can be conservative in areas - to
someone from California we might seem to be conservative altogether. In Kentucky those are the most
Liberal or moderate areas....but not to a fault.
I don't think you would be judged or mistreated or looked down on in either city because of your political beliefs. Not at all.
The majority of people in Kentucky, are down to earth, friendly people and if you are kind or friendly to them, they will probably act in like to you also.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:37 PM

7,521 posts, read 13,226,024 times
The OP didn't mention anything about work, which is odd since that is usually THE most important thing to get lined up before moving ANYWHERE.

I live in NH now but my father was born and raised in Van Lear in eastern Kentucky (definitely the poorer part of the state). I haven't been able to get back in years, but it is such a beautiful state.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:46 PM

10,784 posts, read 8,827,479 times
"Craigslist"?? Hee-hee!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:11 AM

12,628 posts, read 5,707,127 times
One thing I've come to grips with is that no matter what town I pick, it will be to some extent a compromise. Personally, I'm drawn to the small towns with populations of 2000 -5000 because generally they are more conservative with low crime rates and since I'm retiring I really don't need to be too concerned with schools or the higher unemployment generally found in smaller towns. The downside may be a lack of basic amenities like a decent grocery store or hospital near by.
Western KY is very appealing and has some beautiful towns, but the risk of tornadoes is substantially higher, and do I want to sacrifice a cooler summer found in central and Eastern KY for a warmer winter found in Western KY. Also, I would prefer an area with some hills or the Appalachians near by. I think having nothing but flat land as far as the eye can see, will make me regret moving there. I lived in Florida as a kid and that's one of the biggest reasons I didn't like Florida. The topography was boring and monotonous.
For myself, these are all considerations but overall, compared to the place in CA I now live in, almost anywhere in KY I've visited feels comfortable and welcoming with Louisville and Lexington included but they are way too large for what I would like and I do want to stay away from cities with liberal mayors and city council members since that's what I'm trying to escape from. Doing a little research on current politics in various locations goes a long way even if you don't openly discuss where you stand politically with friends and neighbors. A good way to do this is to find the local paper on line and read what's going on there.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:27 AM

6,766 posts, read 14,110,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californianomore View Post
Hello, everyone!
It's been a long-time coming but we are finally fed up with California. Saying we're "mad as hell and not going to take it anymore" would be an understatement. We are looking seriously a KY as our top contender but I have some questions. I visited Bowling Green about 10 years ago on a brief trip and remember loving the small town. I didn't get out and about much but research I have done lately seems to indicate that it has a lot going for it. I especially love its proximity to Nashville. It's hard to beat date night on Music Row. But as I research the state, I feel like I'm seeing more and more towns with SO much going for them. It just seems like we're going to need some help narrowing it down. Bowling Green is the only place in KY I've had the pleasure of visiting. So I'm hoping some of you can help me narrow down the long list of great places to live in your state and get a feel for where to live and where to avoid based on our list of priorities:

Conservative Values : We know that KY isn't the red state people tend to think it is. With a Dem in the capitol we know that we're not necessarily escaping the party that seems to bring havoc down on the state of CA all the time . But there's a reason we're not looking at moving to the red heart of Texas. It'sn not that we want to live in a Democrat-free zone, we we're just looking for a conservative area where our gun-toting republican values and pro-trump political stances aren't going to scare the neighbors. We value diversity, a healthy mix of opinions, etc. But ... let's face it ... it's nice to be among like-minded folks. Just don't want to end up in some kind of liberal Kentucky stronghold .

Small-Town Living: This is pretty straight forward but it's not as much about population as it is about atmosphere. If a town is big but feels small and has the right kind of friendly, down-home atmosphere it's all good. Just no big cities.

Education: We have a young son and would like a place with great education. Kentucky has a lot to be proud of in this area so we know this isn't a hard one to find.

Weather: We know that we are in for a big change moving from the mild temperatures of Northern CA to KY. We just don't want to live in the part of the state where Tornadoes are most likely to touch down OR where the summer heat is MOST oppressive. If it's anything like CA there are sunny places and cold places that only people who live in the state understand (I live in the cold, no-beach, 2-3 ft of snow every Christmas place in CA ... most people don't know my town exists).

Family-Friendly: We want to move to a spot with lots to do for families with kids. Since we plan on being a family with young kids for the foreseeable future, having a place with ongoing activities, points of interest and events for families without having to drive a long way away would be ideal.

Welcoming: California sucks when it comes to friendly neighbors . We'd like to move to a place that is going to be OK with the fact that we're from California and not place us on some invisible "untouchable" list. Especially since you won't be finding any "California PROUD" T-shirts in our wardrobes. We are basically refugees from this state and we'd like to find ourselves a place where we can start over, make friends, and become part of the Kentucky Crew without too much trouble. We think we'll fit in just fine but if there are any particularly outsider-phobic areas please let me know so I can put them on the no-list!

Thank you SO much for your help. I can't wait to get some feedback and start learning about potential new homes for our family! We'd like "dos" and "donts" here so if you know of a place we shouldn't move, please let me know just the same!

Elizabeth

I am biased, but Louisville has just as much or more to do than Nashville, and doesn't have the price or hype. Also no traffic. There will be much less culture shock closer to Louisville than in rural or small town southern KY

The nicest small towns in the state IMO are closest to Louisville. These are also some of the wealthiest counties with the most transplants, and closer to the kind of shopping you are used to (hello, Costco!) You will not find even simple stores like Costco in rural KY!

Oldham COUNTY IS THE BEST SCHOOLS IN THE STATE

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...tucky/rankings

No where else in the state is even close to the Oldham School district. That's why all of its high schools are tops in the state. Manual in Louisville is far and away the best public HS in the state, and its not even close!

You really need to look at Oldham County KY for this reason. Feels like a small town, but close enough to Louisville for culture, arts, and a date night on Bardstown Rd is much cooler than date night on Music Row....for some reason Nashville is known in CA but not Louisville. Not sure why!

CHeck out this cute little town built from ground up...

http://nortoncommons.com/

Very pristine...nothing even CLOSE to this anywhere else in KY.

Anyways, come check out La Grange, Crestwood, Prospct KY. You may also like Shelbyville KY. And Bardstown KY got named nices small town in America.

Don't forget about Jeffersonville and New Albany IN. The pedestrian Bridge into Jeffersonville, IN is world class! Were this bridge in say, LA, it would be known internationally. Floyds Knobs, IN (20 mins to Louisville but feels small town/rural) school district is far and away better than any other school district in southern KY that you are looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or