Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Frankfort more connected to Louisville or Lexington?
Louisville 4 23.53%
Lexington 8 47.06%
Other/its own thing 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

I made the mistake of voting for Louisville, when I intended to vote for Lexington.

Downtown Frankfort and Downtown Lexington are only some 20 miles apart as the crow flies. Lexington includes Frankfort in its media market, at least more seriously than Louisville does (political coverage notwithstanding). Frankfort is more culturally connected with the rest of the small towns around Lexington, than with the rest of the small towns around Louisville. While Louisville has a Frankfort Avenue, it does become Shelbyville Road. By contrast, Lexington has both Leestown Road (pertaining to the original nomenclature for what is now the Frankfort area) and Old Frankfort Pike, both of which provide a quick drive directly between DT Frankfort and DT Lexington, and are alternatives to I-64.

Lexington, all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:52 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Lexington. I lived in Frankfort for over 20 years, and 80% of the time we went to Lexington for what Frankfort didn't have (which was a lot!).

US60, I64/75, 421, even old Frankfort pike, made it easy to get to Lex.

But if we had to fly we always flew out of Louisville.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Definitely Lexington, because it's more "southern," whereas Louisville is more "midwest." Frankfort is DEFINITELY "southern."

Old 07-23-2017, 01:05 AM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
It's closer to Lexington, but Frankfort is it's own place...it's not Louisville or Lexington...it's just Frankfort.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:46 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Definitely Lexington, because it's more "southern," whereas Louisville is more "midwest." Frankfort is DEFINITELY "southern."
I am probably in the minority, but I feel that Louisville is actually more Southern than Midwestern when compared to Lexington, and I am from Cleveland, OH originally.

But I can see the connection between Frankfort and Lexington as the roads all do seem to connect between the two. Also, I noticed during morning rush hour, A LOT of traffic inbound from US 60 and I-64, I assume headed to work in the Capital from Lexington and surrounding areas, so there is another Lexington connection. But I also find many Louisville connections. Louisville's Eastern suburbs of Middletown, J-Town and Westport Rd. area are only 40 minutes to get to from Frankfort and downtown is about 50 minutes, where many areas in Lexington take about 35-45 minutes to get to as well, so there really isn't much of a difference in commute times between the two cities, which is a huge Pro to me. Driving around Frankfort I see many cars and people decked out in Louisville cardinals gear (although not as much as I see of UK gear), I have two neighbors who commute to Louisville for work, and Frankfort is part of both the Lex and Louisville media markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky