U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 07:42 AM

23 posts, read 34,310 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently took a trip to Cincinnati and liked the area. Big baseball fan and like all the parks around the city. Ranked 9th or so in the nation for parks and recreation. I started looking at housing in the area and it seems that property taxes are high there by my standards, have lived in tn last 20 years. So started looking on the KY side. I'm retired military so seems better from a money stand point, lower property taxes, no tax on pentions etc. I have a young kid 5. So need an area with good schools. Want to spend 250k to 300k tops or so on a house 2500 sq ft ballpark. Looking for advice on good places to live and schools in that area plus any input on how people like or dislike the area, the good the bad and the ugly sort of thing. I prefer walkable areas near parks. I'm outdoorsy by nature. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 04:18 PM

534 posts, read 776,600 times
Hi Travlers,

I live in NKY area. You are right that the Ohio side is higher on property taxes. Registering your car in KY will be more expensive, but property taxes on your home will be less. If you are retired military there is no base close by for your commissary shopping. The VA hospital is in Cincinnati. Burlington in Boone county might fit the bill. It has grown a lot over the years, and has parks and nice neighborhoods. It's close to the airport as well. Florence is the largest city in NKY and has a mall and Costco. Burlington has a good walking park that has been well maintained. The schools have been ranked high. Walton which is further south but also in Boone county has some of the best schools in the nation. The Walton/Verona school district is very good. There are more farms and land out that direction. They also have a walking park in town which I go to frequently. Property taxes are higher in Walton, but not like Ohio. Kenton county offers some nice areas as well such as Independence. New neighbors and the area has grown with lots of shopping and such. There is also Grant county to the south of Boone, much more rural there. Cheaper housing, but not a lot of amenities. Florence now has a minor baseball league with a new stadium they built some years back. We live rural but have Florence to do all our major shopping in. Good luck with your search.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:36 PM

5,801 posts, read 9,523,206 times
I currently own a small home in Covington. Ditto to what tamarin has mentioned. While I am a newcomer to the area I have a pretty favorable impression of the NKY area. Even though I am an outsider I have not been made to feel unwelcome here unlike some areas of the country where I've lived in the past.

Property taxes are low on the KY side. Since you are probably on a fixed income that is likely to be a better spot for you to live than the OH side. Jobs, jobs, jobs. If you are a retiree that wants a part time job I suspect you can find something quickly. It appears as though a Labor shortage is developing. Devou Park in Covington is a large park with paved and unpaved trails. Great views of the city from it.

I only have one major concern right now. The City of Cincinnati is starting to look like it is being run by people that don't have much common sense. Fiscally irresponsible spending is starting to lead to high property taxes and budget deficits. I am from Hartford, CT originally and that city is about to go bankrupt. I am starting to see some of the same reckless spending habits that took down Hartford now impact Cincinnati. If Cincinnati ends up like Detroit or Hartford (bankrupt) then it will impact the entire region and not in a positive manner. Watching this closely.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:52 PM

23 posts, read 34,310 times
Thanks all for your insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or