Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 02:34 PM

811 posts, read 888,897 times

Advertisements

I saw this topic in the Ohio forum and I thought I would ask the question in the Kentucky forum.
I am not originally from Kentucky, but having lived here almost 4 years, I generally state Kentucky as where I am from when traveling, as it makes it easier for the other person to understand where I am coming from, but sometimes add that I relocated from Ohio.

So I am curious, what sorts of reactions do you get from others when out of State when they ask where you are from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 05:50 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
I've lived in NKY for a year now. When I went back home to Connecticut at Thanksgiving nobody batted an eye or even made a derogatory comment regarding the KY plate on my car. Same could be said during the drive through NY and PA on my way to and from CT. CT has a lot of people from other states and nations. Nobody really thinks twice about an out of state plate.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:42 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
I get comments occasionally from people about how that explains the accent, but this has always been said good naturally. The other two most common responses are comments about how beautiful the state is, especially the horse farms around Lexington from people who have been there, and how friendly and helpful the people were regardless of what part of the state they had visited. I really haven't had very many people pull out the negative stereotypes.

It truly is a beautiful and friendly state, and even though we have lived a lot of places and traveled a great deal, I never found a place I loved nearly as much. One day I will get back to my sweet Kentucky for good.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:57 AM

811 posts, read 888,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The other two most common responses are comments about how beautiful the state is, especially the horse farms around Lexington from people who have been there, and how friendly and helpful the people were regardless of what part of the state they had visited. I really haven't had very many people pull out the negative stereotypes.
Yes, I was on a bus in Orlando, FL couple years back and a couple next to me commented on my accent (Northern) and asked where I was from. I stated I am from Ohio, hence my Great Lakes accent, but I currently live in Kentucky. They mentioned they love Kentucky and travel to Keeneland every year and spend time driving around Central Kentucky. So I have to say most of the comments I get about Kentucky are positive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky