Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:37 AM

5 posts, read 14,978 times

Advertisements

Heya, I'm Eric, 20- I'm posting this largely on hehalf of my sister (28), her husband (29) and three boys (2-5). I'd be tagging along with them for the move from Phoenix, Arizona.

My sister's husband was offered a well-paying job there, so any doubt isn't a money issue. His main concern is the weather there, seeing as we don't have floods or tornadoes...ever. How safe is Paducah from nature?

My sister's main concern is education. Coming from Phoenix, you'd think our standards are pretty low...but she's got her oldest in a charter school and she hopes to continue the modern educational resources and high level of attention her son recieves, and also the next two if they stay long enough to enter school. (The position is only officially for one year, past that staying is an option.)

My personal concern is culture. The only reason I didn't immediately turn my head from the thought of moving so far away- I'm pretty anchored her in Phoenix- is the Artist Relocation Program I read about in the city's wiki. As a journalism major with an interest in urban planning, the idea is dreamy, and exactly what I've been wanting in Arizona, where I try to be active in sparking culture in the downtown area. Is it working well? As long as there is a strong downtown with good music, good food and places to walk around and talk to interesting people, I'm pretty satisfied. I could use my year there to shove it in the faces of Phoenicians who argue against the art district, ha. I guess the words "indie," "hipster" and "liberal" all apply to me. Being Kentucky- sorry to judge- I'd think the area's pretty conservative. Being...not conservative at all, will I be able to find a niche in the area?

I'd probably be taking the year off of college for the experience, and if there are any local publications I could get an internship with- as an editorial assistant, especially- I'd be thrilled. I wouldn't have to worry about living expenses past my car payment, and my brother-in-law could hire me where he's going, so money's not that big of an issue, I'd just like to get some experience working in the art or journalism world to ease my guilt on a year sans college. What are my chances, as an outsider, of landing a position in local media?

I think that handles my curiosities, and should satiate my sister's and her husband's. Thank you for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:16 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Paducah will likely be a cultural shock for you. Even the college town of Murray which is close by is very conservative.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,003 times
I agree with TomO....I would highly suggest a visit before a decision is made. Paducah is far from the cultural center of the world (or state).

Old 03-22-2008, 10:23 AM

163 posts, read 428,402 times
I'm not sure about the Paducah area, but I think you would really love the Bardstown Road/Highlands area of Louisville! But it is at least 3 hours from Paducah.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
I live near Paducah and I go the AZ (Phoenix, Payson, Globe, Tempe etc) a couple of times a year I have a lot of family there. Paducah is not that different from any of the rural ares of AZ just much, much greener ... way greener. The schools vary based on where is Paducah you live, the schools in Graves Co (right under McCracken Co/Paducah) keep in mind KY counties are not the same size as AZ counties they are much, much smaller. Graves Co line is only about 10 miles from downtown Paducah. Unlike the size of AZ counties which are the size of a small state.
There is plenty to do in Paducah and the surrounding areas, do not be swayed by those that don't live anywhere near here. I was in Paducah this morning. There is a art district, shows, plays, festivals, studios, shopping, antique districts, Carson Center for Arts, independent theaters, parks, etc etc ... nothing on the scale of what PHX has just on a much smaller scale.
Feel free to ask me anything, I'd type more but I'm short on time.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:29 PM

Default Davart is right

Davart is correct that those of us who don't live in Paducah would not have as intimate knowledge as we who don't do. That being said, however, the OP was very clear about wanting a very liberal community to move to, and that is what I was cautioning.

I, yield to my fellow Kentuckian to validate the OP's definition of liberal.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:39 AM

Liberal? Hmmm I'd say Paducah and Murray are the most Liberal towns in western KY, that being said they are still very conservative compared to say San Fransisco CA. Paducah is on pair with rural AZ and fairly accepting of people, you have those that don't give a squat about what you do and those that are busy bodies and judgmental. Over all I'd say Paducah (and Murray) is moderate leaning right. The other area town are fairly conservative and Christian based, if you move here you will be invited to church no less than 1000 times in the first year.

I'd have to know exactly with liberal aspect you are looking for to give a better answer.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 14,978 times
I've never been anywhere nearly as liberal as SanFran, so I'm not worried about that! I am, however, an athiest, anti-Wal Mart, pro-tax, NPR-listening and highly anti-Bush person, not that those are defining character traits at all, but if someone should ask me about them and find out, I don't want to be stoned or alienated. That's probably an irrational fear, but I've had some bad conversations with visiting southerners around here who can be aggressive with their beliefs. AZ is live-and-let-live, and I hope Paducah is the same way.

I can accept get along with just about anybody, but I'd still like some like-minded friends to rant about global warming and Bush with. I'm assured, though, that those are everywhere.

For more fuel to the thread...are there any boutiques or small stores around for non-chain store clothes or retail shopping? Any somewhat low-key swanky cafes, dive bars? What kind of jobs would be open for a 20-year old college kid?

Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 PM

I doubt if you will be happy in Kentucky, if you are planning to rant about anything but the weather.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMerrill View Post
I've never been anywhere nearly as liberal as SanFran, so I'm not worried about that! I am, however, an athiest, anti-Wal Mart, pro-tax, NPR-listening and highly anti-Bush person, not that those are defining character traits at all, but if someone should ask me about them and find out, I don't want to be stoned or alienated. That's probably an irrational fear, but I've had some bad conversations with visiting southerners around here who can be aggressive with their beliefs. AZ is live-and-let-live, and I hope Paducah is the same way.

I can accept get along with just about anybody, but I'd still like some like-minded friends to rant about global warming and Bush with. I'm assured, though, that those are everywhere.

For more fuel to the thread...are there any boutiques or small stores around for non-chain store clothes or retail shopping? Any somewhat low-key swanky cafes, dive bars? What kind of jobs would be open for a 20-year old college kid?
Then go to Murray and live near the college ... there is a saying we have, if you are not a bleeding heart liberal when you are 20 you have no heart, if you are not a conservative when you are 40 you have no brain.

Most everything out side of MSU campus area is God fearing, country lovin people. You can be a atheist no one will mind as you don't go running there their belief down. If you are invited to church just say ... "Thanks." and leave it at that.
Frankly, I haven't been to Wal-Mart in years there are plenty of anti Wal-Mart people as there are pro's.
Like I said rural AZ is about the same as rural KY, at least where I live. But do not expect metropolitan mentality, but as far as cafes, boutiques, small shops, galleries, etc go then you need to go to lower town in Paducah.

As far as global warming goes, it's a myth. Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky