Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose top KY metro area choices
Louisville 14 31.11%
Lexington 14 31.11%
Northern KY 13 28.89%
Elizabethtown 2 4.44%
Bowling Green 6 13.33%
Owensboro 2 4.44%
Hopkinsville-Ft. Campbell 1 2.22%
These cities aren't large enough for me--something larger than Cincy, please! 2 4.44%
Cities? Yuck. Give me a place with fewer than...any people! 5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
AHHHHH...glad you should bring that up. You're right, E'town proper is much smaller than BG and OWB. However, Hardin County has 97,000 residents, more than Warren and Daviess Counties, respectively. While E'town is the anchor town and county seat in Hardin Co., Radcliff and Vine Grove are also substantial-sized towns. The U.S. Census Bureau has already classified this as a metro area and it *technically* is the fourth-largest metro in Kentucky.
Warren County has over 100,000 people now. Bowling Green is really growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 PM

156 posts, read 631,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
NKY is just to Northern culturally for me.
Yeah because Louisville is the deep south... get serious!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:00 AM

145 posts, read 518,427 times
Census....where do I start. You judge the vibrancy of a waterfront on how many people you saw or didn't see biking down there on in the middle of the week. Most people I know jog, bike, whatever in their neighborhoods. There are wondeful places to get outside and workout that aren't next to the river. Walk through devou park in Park Hills and you may have a different opinion. Even look around fort mitchell or fort thomas and you would see plenty of people out and about. Even if there weren't it was what you saw on a random day....(was it the middle of the day? Most people are at work a.k.a. including the young professionals you say aren't around) As far as saying hello to others walking by and it being to "northern" for you: I am from northern kentucky and say hello to people I see walking by...to bad I didn't see you. I moved to Florida (about as south as it gets) and did the same thing and got those strange looks from people there. It wouldn't make much sense for me to say they aren't acting southern as they are about as far down as it gets. The truth is unfortunately not everyone is as friendly as you or maybe they have something on their minds and aren't really too concerned with who is passing them by. I wonder how many people you pass in louisville that actually say hi...I bet at least two or three may not have done so. To me it sounds like you are a little to sensitive. I don't judge a city or area on how much attention I get from others. If I pass someone I say hello but don't expect that from others and certainly don't paint them as rude for just walking right by me. I don't know where you got the idea that louisville is the south. It has a midwestern, indiana feel. I don't here southern accents in Louisville at all...that being said there are probably people that grew up there that have them but to say louisville is southern is a joke. Someone from mississippi, georgia, or even tennessee would get a kick out of that notion. I don't think a state that is only one state away from Canada (ohio) can really claim being southern as it is.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I have always felt a totally different vibe Cincinnati than in Midwestern cities like Indianapolis or St Louis.

Cincinnati is said by most to be very similar to Pittsburgh which is NOT a Midwestern city.

Louisville is often compared with St Louis which is a Midwestern city w/ Southern overtones.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 PM

I don't know who would ever think St. Louis had a southern overtone to it. Thats news to me. I assume by your comments then that you agree with my previous staements. What vibe is it that you get in Cincinnati? What does it matter if it is a midwestern city or not? What does that have to do with Northen Kentucky?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:53 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
Census....where do I start. You judge the vibrancy of a waterfront on how many people you saw or didn't see biking down there on in the middle of the week. Most people I know jog, bike, whatever in their neighborhoods. There are wondeful places to get outside and workout that aren't next to the river. Walk through devou park in Park Hills and you may have a different opinion. Even look around fort mitchell or fort thomas and you would see plenty of people out and about. Even if there weren't it was what you saw on a random day....(was it the middle of the day? Most people are at work a.k.a. including the young professionals you say aren't around) As far as saying hello to others walking by and it being to "northern" for you: I am from northern kentucky and say hello to people I see walking by...to bad I didn't see you. I moved to Florida (about as south as it gets) and did the same thing and got those strange looks from people there. It wouldn't make much sense for me to say they aren't acting southern as they are about as far down as it gets. The truth is unfortunately not everyone is as friendly as you or maybe they have something on their minds and aren't really too concerned with who is passing them by. I wonder how many people you pass in louisville that actually say hi...I bet at least two or three may not have done so. To me it sounds like you are a little to sensitive. I don't judge a city or area on how much attention I get from others. If I pass someone I say hello but don't expect that from others and certainly don't paint them as rude for just walking right by me. I don't know where you got the idea that louisville is the south. It has a midwestern, indiana feel. I don't here southern accents in Louisville at all...that being said there are probably people that grew up there that have them but to say louisville is southern is a joke. Someone from mississippi, georgia, or even tennessee would get a kick out of that notion. I don't think a state that is only one state away from Canada (ohio) can really claim being southern as it is.

There are quite a few people who don't consider Florida southern because of all the transplants. It's all about perception. As far as accents go, I guess you haven't been all over Louisville have ya? As far as your comment about other states laughing at us, I had a woman from Louisiana asked me where I was from, when I told her KY she said, you're Southern too!

You can't speak for all.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:40 PM

so a state that is only one state away from canada is southern? Also I don't think I was speaking for anyone but myself. Just because that pace is slower than the north east doesn't make a place southern. You generally have to be geographically in the south. People here are arrogant about this "southern" way of life they feel they have here. I am from nothern kentucky, I don't consider myself southern because I can look across the river and see ohio. I think the lifestyle is slower than places from the northeast but that doesn't mean it is southern. By the way what does an accent have to do with anything? I don't see how just because someone has a different accent that means everything is different.

Last edited by sandman1; 04-04-2008 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
so a state that is only one state away from canada is southern? Also I don't think I was speaking for anyone but myself. Just because that pace is slower than the north east doesn't make a place southern. You generally have to be geographically in the south. People here are arrogant about this "southern" way of life they feel they have here. I am from nothern kentucky, I don't consider myself southern because I can look across the river and see ohio. I think the lifestyle is slower than places from the northeast but that doesn't mean it is southern. By the way what does an accent have to do with anything? I don't see how just because someone has a different accent that means everything is different.
If that is how you feel than so be it but using your logic, Tennesee is only two states away so how can they be considered Southern either? As far as I can tell the geography is based on the rest of the US, not Canada.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:

Anything below the Mason-Dixon line is considered in the south. When you cross that river you can be a yankee...lol. Seriously, I do think Louisville is not as southern feeling as where I live in southern Kentucky and that is probably because of all of the transplants from other parts of the country, but it is still in the south.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Anything below the Mason-Dixon line is considered in the south. When you cross that river you can be a yankee...lol. Seriously, I do think Louisville is not as southern feeling as where I live in southern Kentucky and that is probably because of all of the transplants from other parts of the country, but it is still in the south.
Aren't you in Bowling Green? If so, the areas around WKU reminded me alot of the area in Louisville I live. It just felt so dang on familiar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky