Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 AM

51 posts, read 121,842 times

Advertisements

Hi.. my family and I are looking to move out of New England, and somewhere else, like Arizona or Kentucky, California. Somewhere where there are horse people, good people,good jobs, kids my child can play with, did I say good people? Well...I know Kentucky is full of horses, and I would in time be opening a therapeutic riding facility. Do you think, with all the horse business already estabilshed, I wouldn't have a chance with my horse business. I'm in it for the horses and to help disabled people. I'm afraid, by going to a place, where there horse people, who are much better than me, I'll fail at my dream job....But, who knows. I also want to live in a great neighbor hood, make great friends, for my family, find a wonderful school for my child. Just enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:37 AM

25 posts, read 64,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseluvr View Post
Hi.. my family and I are looking to move out of New England, and somewhere else, like Arizona or Kentucky, California. Somewhere where there are horse people, good people,good jobs, kids my child can play with, did I say good people? Well...I know Kentucky is full of horses, and I would in time be opening a therapeutic riding facility. Do you think, with all the horse business already estabilshed, I wouldn't have a chance with my horse business. I'm in it for the horses and to help disabled people. I'm afraid, by going to a place, where there horse people, who are much better than me, I'll fail at my dream job....But, who knows. I also want to live in a great neighbor hood, make great friends, for my family, find a wonderful school for my child. Just enjoy.
Well i wouldnt say any of those 3 states are good for education. As a New Englander your moving from the area with the best K-12 education around, VT #1, MA #2 CT #3 NJ #4 Maine#5 PA #10 NH#12 RI#14 NY#16 Virginia#6 [ They have quite a bit of horses and have 2 universities in the top 5, one is UVA and the other is William and Mary)
KY Public Schools in Louisville still do Bussing, So if you follow a religion of choice, chances are Louisville probably has a private school for it. Most of KY Public Schools rank in the bottom percentile nationwide, Oldham County and the magnet schools such as (Manual) in Louisville rank at the top, I know for a fact Manual is in the top 100 nationwide schools, Oldham ive heard is top notch but ive never seen any source showing it. Tomocox can you lead you in that for Oldham. Also, AZ and KY Have some of the poorest counties in the nation.

And trying to move to Arizona #50, KY #31, and California #47

Arizona's ASU Is a top 50 university in the USA for undergrads, California has 6 of the 10 top 10 public universities, and 11 just out of 50 in the one system better known as Public Ivy Basically the Entire USC system.

College is Cheaper in California, but the cost of living is much higher (I have a son who is about to go to UC) You will pay 1/3 what you pay for college in Louisville. BUT Louisville offers programs for free college, such as Metro College with UPS. From what you mentioned I dont think they are college age yet.

Kentucky Universities aren't very good, UofL and UKY are the 2 known universities. UofL is a Tier 3 Private (1846-1969) turned Public University(1970- Current), UKY Is Tier 1, Both are Div I For sports though.
UofL undergrad is ranked 147th, But grad school wise, Dental is 7th, Law is 97th, . University of KY is ranked 97th undergrad, and has quite a bit of top 20 programs.

I don't know much about horses, but I do know alot about the education standpoint.

Last edited by CBfromVA; 04-11-2008 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: missed stuff

Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
You certainly try to paint a bad picture of Kentucky. Their are poor counties in Kentucky in the Appalachian area, but those are not represetative of Kentucky overall. Also, there are very good schools in certain areas of Kentucky both public and private. We also have many good colleges and universities in our state. Have you ever even been to Kentucky?

As far as therapeutic riding facilities, we have one or two in my city and they do really well. I think that is great thing to get into. I am sure it takes time to get started.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 PM

Default Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You certainly try to paint a bad picture of Kentucky. Their are poor counties in Kentucky in the Appalachian area, but those are not represetative of Kentucky overall. Also, there are very good schools in certain areas of Kentucky both public and private. We also have many good colleges and universities in our state. Have you ever even been to Kentucky?

As far as therapeutic riding facilities, we have one or two in my city and they do really well. I think that is great thing to get into. I am sure it takes time to get started.

Yes in fact im in KY now for Thunder, and im not painting a bad picture of it, According to Dept of Education, and other sources, KY ranks in the bottom percentile for K-12 education. and 37th in the nation.

UKY and UofL arent ranked very high for universities compared to Arizona State, University of Arizona, and California State University Systems. Both AZ and CA Universities are also averaging 6-7k cheaper then KY universities, and the school systems in the city dont bus, like those of Louisville do.

My daughter goes to Catholic School in East end Louisville currently, I never said anything at all bad about the private schools. But the public schools in KY are nothing to proud about at all, and currently neither is UofL unless your talking Sports. UKY Has top 20 programs in 10+ fields of study. You can access UofL Rankings and UKY Rankings from the school homepage, then you can go over to CSU Web site, and say look at UCLA or UCBerkeley, and while your at it go to ASU and UAZ and just compare. You will see that KY is not top in Education, and if that is a major aspect of why she is moving here aside from the horses, AZ and CA would be a better fit for her.

Last edited by CBfromVA; 04-11-2008 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: privacy

Old 04-12-2008, 12:39 AM

When I say poor, I mean poor, Poorest Counties for Per Capita Income, #18th is Clay County with $9,716, #20 Mckinley County,#31 Wolfe County (just hit median income of 10,000$), #33 Leslie County, #39 Martin Couny, #40 Knox County, #42 Magoffin County, #43 Jackson County, #44 Owsley County, #62 Breathitt County (Just hit 11,000), #69 Knott County, #74 Menifee County, #82 Bell County, #83 Harlan County. #97 Letcher County, #100 Lawrence County.

That's 16 Counties in KY ranking in the top 100 Poorest Counties Income Per Capita

Arizona has 2, #85 Navajo County, and #10 Apache County.

California has 0

Median Household Income. I wont list the counties this time, Kentucky takes first on the top 100 List with 29 counties, Arizona has 0 and California also has 0.

As for the poorest towns in the nation, Arizona and California are on the list multiple times, KY is on 1 time with Wheelwright KY.

The stats were taken from Wikipedia, but their sources derived from U.S. Census Bureau data; U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis

All I can give is information I myself can find and from trusted resources, Im not a fan of Wikipedia, but if they cite them correctly as they did with the Dept of Commerce and CBD I feel I can trust that. My son is about to go to school in California, he could give me info about one small area of California but the rest I must rely on other information sources. You can definatly get the feel for personality of people, and individual experiences using City Data though, which is why I personally love using this forum.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:24 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Default Why stats aren't always best way to judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBfromVA View Post
When I say poor, I mean poor, Poorest Counties for Per Capita Income, #18th is Clay County with $9,716, #20 Mckinley County,#31 Wolfe County (just hit median income of 10,000$), #33 Leslie County, #39 Martin Couny, #40 Knox County, #42 Magoffin County, #43 Jackson County, #44 Owsley County, #62 Breathitt County (Just hit 11,000), #69 Knott County, #74 Menifee County, #82 Bell County, #83 Harlan County. #97 Letcher County, #100 Lawrence County.

That's 16 Counties in KY ranking in the top 100 Poorest Counties Income Per Capita

Arizona has 2, #85 Navajo County, and #10 Apache County.

California has 0

Median Household Income. I wont list the counties this time, Kentucky takes first on the top 100 List with 29 counties, Arizona has 0 and California also has 0.

As for the poorest towns in the nation, Arizona and California are on the list multiple times, KY is on 1 time with Wheelwright KY.

The stats were taken from Wikipedia, but their sources derived from U.S. Census Bureau data; U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis

All I can give is information I myself can find and from trusted resources, Im not a fan of Wikipedia, but if they cite them correctly as they did with the Dept of Commerce and CBD I feel I can trust that. My son is about to go to school in California, he could give me info about one small area of California but the rest I must rely on other information sources. You can definatly get the feel for personality of people, and individual experiences using City Data though, which is why I personally love using this forum.
How many counties are in Arizona? How many in Kentucky? I just recommend that when one uses statistics to make a judgement, all factors must be considered to make a true and effective analysis. To simply state that there is more poverty or more this, or that because Kentucky has more impoverished counties than another state, one must note the simple number of counties Kentucky has. Only Texas and Georgia with much larger land masses have more counties than Kentucky.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:38 AM

12 posts, read 26,687 times
Kentucky takes first on the top 100 List with 29 counties, Arizona has 0 and California also has 0.

Kentucky has 120 Counties....Don't forget you always have the option to home school your children. Just because a family lives in a poor county does not mean the child is going to be any less of a human being then a privilaged child. I would personally raise my child in an environment that isn't full of "things"... materialistic meaningless items that prevents the child from learning how to survive and coping with the real. I was raised near the earth, my son was raised with materialistic things. I have better survival skills then he does. He can make money, I can take care of animals, grow, store and make food. He has to work near crime, I work near nature. It's your choice. Just because a county is poor does not mean your child will suffer. You are the determining factor on how your children will turn out. The appalachian areas of KY are rich with history and you won't find any other place like KY that has some of the most beautiful scenes. Most of these small counties have very deep roots, people know everyone and they are family orientated! I'm from Michigan, have lived in 2 other states, visited both CA and AZ... KY is now my home.
Lee in KY

Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoGooder View Post
Kentucky takes first on the top 100 List with 29 counties, Arizona has 0 and California also has 0.

Kentucky has 120 Counties....Don't forget you always have the option to home school your children. Just because a family lives in a poor county does not mean the child is going to be any less of a human being then a privilaged child. I would personally raise my child in an environment that isn't full of "things"... materialistic meaningless items that prevents the child from learning how to survive and coping with the real. I was raised near the earth, my son was raised with materialistic things. I have better survival skills then he does. He can make money, I can take care of animals, grow, store and make food. He has to work near crime, I work near nature. It's your choice. Just because a county is poor does not mean your child will suffer. You are the determining factor on how your children will turn out. The appalachian areas of KY are rich with history and you won't find any other place like KY that has some of the most beautiful scenes. Most of these small counties have very deep roots, people know everyone and they are family orientated! I'm from Michigan, have lived in 2 other states, visited both CA and AZ... KY is now my home.
Lee in KY

But thats you personally, She wants a good school system, not a homeschool system. She wants to start a horse farm, and shes from New England. I dont think the very poor counties will be where she wants to go.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
How many counties are in Arizona? How many in Kentucky? I just recommend that when one uses statistics to make a judgement, all factors must be considered to make a true and effective analysis. To simply state that there is more poverty or more this, or that because Kentucky has more impoverished counties than another state, one must note the simple number of counties Kentucky has. Only Texas and Georgia with much larger land masses have more counties than Kentucky.

Virginia has more then KY also, And according to the Dept of Commerce...KY as a whole...is poorer then 40 other states. So saying its impoverished because it has more counties then everybody else, may be taboo to you. So lets show the ranks of KY as a whole using Dept of Commerce, as you can see, KY Still ranks as one of the poorest. Regardless of amount of Counties.
And because you brought in Texas and Georgia have more counties...ill add them to the list also.

Per Capita Income, KY Ranks 40th, AZ ranks 29th, Cali ranks 13th [TX ranks 32nd, Georgia ranks 21st] both still less poor than KY.

Personal Per Capita Income KY Ranks 42nd, AZ ranks 39th, Cali Ranks 9th [TX ranks 29th, Georgia ranks 28th] Again both still lower less poor than KY.

Median Household Income KY Ranks 45th, AZ ranks 28th, Cali 12th [TX ranks 27th, Georgia ranks 29th] Again, both still less poor than KY.

So as a state, its poorer than the rest, and as a state with more counties than most other states...including Georgia and Texas...it still ranks...more poor.

All these stats are taken from Dept of Commerce, and the Dept of Housing,

Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,056 times
so the per capita income is less than AZ and CA - so what? The cost of housing and overall cost of living in KY is way less than those states. I guarantee she'd be able to purchase land for a horse farm here much cheaper than in those two states.
And as a horse owner, I can tell you that the cost of keeping horses in AZ and CA is much higher than in Kentucky (here, we have something called "grass" !)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky