U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:52 PM

149 posts, read 688,800 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, i went down to the local beer, bait and tackle store to renew my fishing license and tacked to the wall was photo of giant alligator about 15' long - shot and killed by Sheriff's deputy at notso far away Rough River Lake. My pal who runs the shop tells me there's thriving population of monster gators at/near swamps bordering the lake and fishermen been advized to carry firearms with em in case they see one. Apparently there aint no bounty on em, but local authorities advize these giant gators be shot on sight. Heck, I'd like to bag one for the hide and meat. Very tastey is gator meat, sampled some in New Orleans couple of yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 05:34 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,553,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Hello everybody, i went down to the local beer, bait and tackle store to renew my fishing license and tacked to the wall was photo of giant alligator about 15' long - shot and killed by Sheriff's deputy at notso far away Rough River Lake. My pal who runs the shop tells me there's thriving population of monster gators at/near swamps bordering the lake and fishermen been advized to carry firearms with em in case they see one. Apparently there aint no bounty on em, but local authorities advize these giant gators be shot on sight. Heck, I'd like to bag one for the hide and meat. Very tastey is gator meat, sampled some in New Orleans couple of yrs ago.
Are you serious???? I am guessing that someone has released "pets".

Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Yep, the pic showed monster alligator hangin from pay loader twice the height of Sheriff's Deputy standing next to it. Hopefully somebody from Leichfield here can provide more details.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:00 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Al Gore has blamed this incident on Global Warming expanding the alligator's range

Old 04-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Ye mean like last Summer's helacious heat brought gators roaming north? Heard the same thing plus Texas floods set armadillos travelling hundreds of miles into Arkansas and then Tennessee, probly soon to arrive here. Heckuva long way for slow moving gators to go..... 'dillos though are fast as lightning as y'all know who've tried to catch one. Plus there's how many dams gators gotta git around en route? Am thinkin Missy's abandoned pet theory makes more sense. Reconnoitre kid buys baby gator then sets it free at 3 foot in couple yrs. Then 12 years later - who knows?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
if alligators were good to eat, cajuns would be very fat.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,634,626 times
They do eat alligator in Louisiana, along with many other things. I have family there and it is interesting.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Ye mean like last Summer's helacious heat brought gators roaming north? Heard the same thing plus Texas floods set armadillos travelling hundreds of miles into Arkansas and then Tennessee, probly soon to arrive here. Heckuva long way for slow moving gators to go..... 'dillos though are fast as lightning as y'all know who've tried to catch one. Plus there's how many dams gators gotta git around en route? Am thinkin Missy's abandoned pet theory makes more sense. Reconnoitre kid buys baby gator then sets it free at 3 foot in couple yrs. Then 12 years later - who knows?
There are burmese pythons loose in FL for the same reason. People buy exotic pets thinking they are cool until they become hard to care for and then either let em die or turn em loose.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
They do eat alligator in Louisiana, along with many other things. I have family there and it is interesting.
Alligator tastes like chewy chicken. You can get it in places here and we tried it in Tennesee last week.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 AM

2,038 posts, read 2,779,115 times
I thought gators only survive in hot & humid places? How do they survive KY winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or