U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:55 AM

241 posts, read 1,176,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy
A friendly word of advice. The Creation Museum is a highly controversial subject in this region (and pretty much everywhere else). Many Northern Kentuckians see it as an affront to science and a black eye for the region. Should you move to this area, I would suggest using a little discretion in announcing where your husband is employed. Just wanted to help you avoid possibly getting cold shouldered.
With all do respect, I think you are mainly speaking for yourself. I rarely find people that have a problem with the Creation Museum.
I never said that I had a problem with the museum and wasn't trying to offend. I really think it's a matter of what circles you move in. I'm in the publishing business and work in Ohio with a bunch of journalists and graphic designers (aka liberals). I've taken a lot of ribbing from them because the museum is in my state. This isn't really a problem for me because I tend to keep my religious and political views out of my professional and public life (including here on this forum). I was just trying to convey that there are people in this region who don't do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 AM

241 posts, read 1,176,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeschool Pied Piper View Post
I'll just bet you're a homeschooler! I hope so! I'm fairly new to northern Kentucky so I can give you a newbie's opinion. I can't emphasize enough that I hope you are a homeschooler. The schools in the area are very test driven. The poor teachers are forced to teach lock-step from the exact same curriculum material. Innovation and teaching out of the box is frowned on. Burn out is high for the staff. If you are not a homeschooler, email me and I can give you information about the different districts.

There's a great deal of support for the center. You can take the gentleman's advice and keep your husband's vocation "on the down low" or you can be proud that his faith calls him to be a part of something "controversial." After all, Christ himself was controversial. I'm sure the gentleman meant well.

I live in Falmouth. I know a house on the market now that is quite beautiful and is above the flood level. The people are friendly and wholesome. There are several wonderful churches. My husband works closely with the police and crime is extremely minimal. We drive north for shopping centers and things a bigger city can offer, but there's a quiet, small town atmosphere to Falmouth. Big yards too!

Let me know if I can be of any help!

God bless your search!
Welcome fellow Falmouthian! I thought I was the only one from our county on this site.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:15 PM

137 posts, read 386,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
I never said that I had a problem with the museum and wasn't trying to offend. I really think it's a matter of what circles you move in. I'm in the publishing business and work in Ohio with a bunch of journalists and graphic designers (aka liberals). I've taken a lot of ribbing from them because the museum is in my state. This isn't really a problem for me because I tend to keep my religious and political views out of my professional and public life (including here on this forum). I was just trying to convey that there are people in this region who don't do the same.
Understood. I probably should not have been offended. No harm done. I have not yet found anyone from NKY that had a problem with the Creation museum (not yet anyway), but have found others in Ohio that do. Like you, I also work with liberals in Cincinnati and I have also taken criticism because of the museum. I often have to bit my tongue and not say anything. I more outspoken about my relationship with Jesus Christ, as I try to make Him apart of everything I do. Again, no harm done. I really appreciate your post and for trying to make things right. After all, we Kentuckians need to stick together! Take care and be blessed.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 11,443 times
I apologize! I think I was hitting "tab" and the message sent prior to me being finished *blush*! Deleted the duplicate messages...

Thank you all so much for your input! I appreciate it so much! We're coming over to KY to look this Fri/Sat. We've got a realtor and she's found us several homes to look at. I had to laugh, been a lonnnnng time since I'd seen named subdivisions. (Can you tell we live outside the city?!?)

Oh, I'm not offended in any way by the comment by RuralGuy! Like someone said, Christ was and is very controversial. We are not shy about what we believe, and are not offended by another's beliefs. That's what makes our country great - freedom of speech & religion; I do, however, get offended when people are not allowed to voice their opinion in a reasonable manner, no matter how "far off" I think it is. (Explanation? We've been a military family and my son is now a US Marine and we've seen/heard alllll sorts of things that make me wonder why those people live in America, LOL!) Anyways, I digress... Thank you all so much for your valuable information.

Two things: Taxes? Are there differing rates depending on where you live? I've seen different comments about "low taxes" in Boone Co. Comments? Opinions?

What can you tell me about these areas:
Erlanger...
Jacqueline Heights
Cherry Hill
Cardinal Court
Elsmere
South Erlanger
Turkeyfoot Acres
Fairview Elsmere
Lexington Shopping P (I'm guessing "Plaza"??)
Florence
Town & Country
Hunter Green
Orchard Acres
Burlington
Strawberry Hill
Covington
Bahama Garden
Independence
Plantation Heights

Cheryl

Last edited by McFaith6; 05-01-2008 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 AM

486 posts, read 1,674,038 times
You're asking about a wide variety of areas, McFaith. Because I'm from Lexington, all I really know about NoKY is that traffic gets bad on 71/75 and there are just a bunch of towns scattered around. As I said, I don't know much but I know there are some people here that can give you more info. What specifically are you wanting to know about those areas?

Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 11,443 times
I guess just what kind of subdivision is it? Any info that anyone knows that might be helpful when picking out a house...
Cheryl

Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM

156 posts, read 559,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFaith6 View Post
I guess just what kind of subdivision is it? Any info that anyone knows that might be helpful when picking out a house...
Cheryl
Well, there are all different types of subdivisions / neighborhoods in NKY. They go by different town names, but the borders are seamless for the most part. The entire area is part of the Cincinnati metro area, and some parts tend to feel very suburban (newer row houses with yards and a 2 car garage), while other parts closer to downtown/the river (aka Newport / Covington) are naturally more upbeat and urban. Urban is a relative term however, as this is a small town in general. There are parts of Covington and Newport away from the river that have been historically a little "seedy", but this is rapidly being cleaned up as the area develops, and there is generally no need to worry about safety.

If you can lets us know your interests and what you are looking for, I could recommend a few specific areas.

Also, check the Cincinnati forum as there are as many informative posts on this area of town there.

Best of luck.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM

137 posts, read 386,087 times
Default How did things go last weekend?

So how did the house search go this past weekend in NKY? Did you find what you were looking for? How did you like the houses you looked at? The areas in general you visited? Did you get a good feel for the area overall?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 19,410 times
As far as crime rates go call the local sheriff's department and ask about the subdivisions by name. As realtors we are not even allowed to direct people to a certain subdivision, but the police department will be willing to give you the information as far as break in rates etc. so you can make up your mind about a certain area before you move. For general info about KY feel free to visit my website. [url=http://www.movewithmartina.com]Move with Martina[/url], I am still adding to it so visit often;o)

Old 06-24-2008, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 9,250 times
Default Taxes in NKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFaith6 View Post
I apologize! I think I was hitting "tab" and the message sent prior to me being finished *blush*! Deleted the duplicate messages...

Thank you all so much for your input! I appreciate it so much! We're coming over to KY to look this Fri/Sat. We've got a realtor and she's found us several homes to look at. I had to laugh, been a lonnnnng time since I'd seen named subdivisions. (Can you tell we live outside the city?!?)

Oh, I'm not offended in any way by the comment by RuralGuy! Like someone said, Christ was and is very controversial. We are not shy about what we believe, and are not offended by another's beliefs. That's what makes our country great - freedom of speech & religion; I do, however, get offended when people are not allowed to voice their opinion in a reasonable manner, no matter how "far off" I think it is. (Explanation? We've been a military family and my son is now a US Marine and we've seen/heard alllll sorts of things that make me wonder why those people live in America, LOL!) Anyways, I digress... Thank you all so much for your valuable information.

Two things: Taxes? Are there differing rates depending on where you live? I've seen different comments about "low taxes" in Boone Co. Comments? Opinions?

What can you tell me about these areas:
Erlanger...
Jacqueline Heights
Cherry Hill
Cardinal Court
Elsmere
South Erlanger
Turkeyfoot Acres
Fairview Elsmere
Lexington Shopping P (I'm guessing "Plaza"??)
Florence
Town & Country
Hunter Green
Orchard Acres
Burlington
Strawberry Hill
Covington
Bahama Garden
Independence
Plantation Heights

Cheryl
I kive in Independence ky and also own a house in Covington.. Taxes in Indy are very high My house is val. @ 147,000 I pay almost 3 grand a year its 13.7o/o I believe, My house in Cov is much less value, but the tax rate is 11 % the rules in cov are a little less strict whereas Indy they are very strict.. Beware of indy if you are dog lovers, they are not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky