Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 12,554 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband has been offered a job at the Creation Museum and we're considering moving from VA to KY.

We really know nothing about KY and are just beginning to look into the possibilities...

What information do you wish you'd known prior to moving to KY; that would have made a difference to you (good or bad)? What info would you offer a family with younger children? (our oldest is currently a US Marine and the others are 9, 8 & 3) We homeschool, so schools are not an issue right now.

My biggest concern is flooding, crime - any areas to stay away from? Any areas to check out first? A lot of the things we'll take into consideration are: we have one vehicle, we're on one income, churches in the area, family-friendliness... I'm sure I'm leaving some thing out, but maybe you can help us out!

Blessings,
Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:40 AM

241 posts, read 1,331,878 times
The museum is in Petersburg, which doesn't have a lot of development. The closest area in which you'll find multiple housing options is nearby Hebron. Burlington might also be an option.

A friendly word of advice. The Creation Museum is a highly controversial subject in this region (and pretty much everywhere else). Many Northern Kentuckians see it as an affront to science and a black eye for the region. Should you move to this area, I would suggest using a little discretion in announcing where your husband is employed. Just wanted to help you avoid possibly getting cold shouldered.

Edit: The areas I mentioned are non-flooding areas with low crime and shopping/entertainment nearby.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:16 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,541,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFaith6 View Post
Hi everyone! My husband has been offered a job at the Creation Museum and we're considering moving from VA to KY.

We really know nothing about KY and are just beginning to look into the possibilities...

What information do you wish you'd known prior to moving to KY; that would have made a difference to you (good or bad)? What info would you offer a family with younger children? (our oldest is currently a US Marine and the others are 9, 8 & 3) We homeschool, so schools are not an issue right now.

My biggest concern is flooding, crime - any areas to stay away from? Any areas to check out first? A lot of the things we'll take into consideration are: we have one vehicle, we're on one income, churches in the area, family-friendliness... I'm sure I'm leaving some thing out, but maybe you can help us out!

Blessings,
Cheryl
Boone County is nice and growing fast, good schools, good restaurants/shopping, low crime....

Old 04-15-2008, 12:38 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,014,280 times
Quote:

Blessings,
Cheryl
Congrats on your husband getting such an awesome job!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 PM

257 posts, read 878,025 times
northern kentucky is a very progressive and affluent area of the state. it has high job growth, lots of shopping/entertainment, awesome public schools, and nice neighborhoods. the crime is very low and i'm sure the flooding is minimal, for northern kentucky sits high on the bluffs.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM

156 posts, read 629,497 times
Progressive? Who, where?

Campbell county has great public schools.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 PM

137 posts, read 446,943 times
Quote:

Blessings,
Cheryl
First of all I would like to say, "congratulatiions on your new position!." The Creation Museum is awesome and a vital asset to our area. Various churches take trips there quite often and it really helps to strengthen our faith! Anyway I would love to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge of this area as I have lived here sometime now. First of all I assume that you all are Christians. Being a Christian myself I can say that NKY is quite conservative IMO like much like the rest of the South which our family really appreciates. I have found the people here (Christian or not) to be extremely nice and very helpful in general IMO. Cincinnati is also a vital area I find it to be much more conservative than the other cities in Ohio or at least that is what I have observed after also lived in Columbus for 3 plus years. When referring to crime I can tell you from experience it is not much of an issue here in NKY. I have never experienced crime or been a victim of any crime. I actally work downtown Cincinnati at night just across from Covington and have never had an issue ever. There is crime you hear of occasionally, but not often enough to really be concerned IMO. Since you have a family I would advice you to not live in Covington or Newport due to "not a lot of room to grow" since you don't get a very big yard and it is more urban. Please don't get me wrong, Covington and Newport are truly wonderful places, but not the best place if you have a lot of kids and homeschool them. In addition, the houses seem a lot smaller, but that is not necessarily true, some of them are quite large. I would recommend living in Crescent Springs, Crescent Park, Villa Hills, Edgewood, College Park, Florence and possibly Erlanger. If you are looking for a place out in the country I would recommend, Indepedence, Union or Burlington. To answer your question concerning churches; my wife and I love our church. We attend Christ Chapel Assembly of God and really love our church family!!! Feel free to visit anytime!!!! Take care and God bless. I hope you find the perfect place you are praying for!!!! God bless and take care.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 PM

137 posts, read 446,943 times
A friendly word of advice. The Creation Museum is a highly controversial subject in this region (and pretty much everywhere else). Many Northern Kentuckians see it as an affront to science and a black eye for the region. Should you move to this area, I would suggest using a little discretion in announcing where your husband is employed. Just wanted to help you avoid possibly getting cold shouldered.

With all do respect, I think you are mainly speaking for yourself. I rarely find people that have a problem with the Creation Museum.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:25 PM

310 posts, read 1,205,657 times
For news information about the Northern Kentucky area, you may want to visit Cincy.com - Cincinnati's Original Home Page The Creation Museum is located in Boone County which is one of the fastest growing areas in Kentucky and the Greater Cincinnati area.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 16,856 times
Default Come to Northern Kentucky!

I'll just bet you're a homeschooler! I hope so! I'm fairly new to northern Kentucky so I can give you a newbie's opinion. I can't emphasize enough that I hope you are a homeschooler. The schools in the area are very test driven. The poor teachers are forced to teach lock-step from the exact same curriculum material. Innovation and teaching out of the box is frowned on. Burn out is high for the staff. If you are not a homeschooler, email me and I can give you information about the different districts.

There's a great deal of support for the center. You can take the gentleman's advice and keep your husband's vocation "on the down low" or you can be proud that his faith calls him to be a part of something "controversial." After all, Christ himself was controversial. I'm sure the gentleman meant well.

I live in Falmouth. I know a house on the market now that is quite beautiful and is above the flood level. The people are friendly and wholesome. There are several wonderful churches. My husband works closely with the police and crime is extremely minimal. We drive north for shopping centers and things a bigger city can offer, but there's a quiet, small town atmosphere to Falmouth. Big yards too!

Let me know if I can be of any help!

God bless your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky