U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2019, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,344 times

Advertisements

My family and I are from a small town in Arizona. We are planning to move to Kentucky in July to start a new beginning. We will be going to Kentucky for Thanksgiving and would love to find some beautiful places to check out. We are looking for a beautiful town with great weather and a picture perfect view of country life and tons of trees and low crime with great schools and lots of lakes, rivers, or water around for fishing. We plan on looking for affordable property and building a home with someplace that is near a medium sized town where it won't be too far to drive for shopping and places to have fun. I am a school counselor and and my husband owns his own carpet cleaning business. Our boys will be 17 and 18 by the time we move and our boys are into the "car" scene. We are looking for at least 10-20 places to visit while we are there. Please give us some towns to check out. Thank you so much for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 03:09 PM

847 posts, read 1,281,840 times
London, Williamsburg, Somerset, Monticello, Albany, Jamestown, Burkesville, Glasgow, Scottsville, Franklin...

Old 11-17-2019, 04:11 PM

7,897 posts, read 13,357,971 times
I always put in a plug for western Kentucky. For your fishing, check out Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley. Kentucky Lake is the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River. https://www.kentuckylake.com/
In between the two lakes is the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/, 170,000 acres of hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, camping and more.
With your sons being 17 and 18 you might want to check out the Murray, Ky. area, home of Murray State University
https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/
MSU also has 5 regional campuses around western Ky.
Paducah is the "medium sized town" in the area where people go to see shows, eat, shop, etc. https://www.paducah.travel/things-to-do/ Metropolis, Illinois, just across the Ohio River from Paducah, has the claim, since it's the only town of "Metropolis" in the US, to be the home of Superman, with a huge Superman statue on the court square.
Sights & Attractions | Metropolis Tourism

I found this as far as the low crime rates. Benton rates fairly high.
https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest-cities-kentucky/

Hope you find a good home in Kentucky, no matter what part of the state you go to.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:30 PM

2,647 posts, read 3,346,084 times
The Kentucky weather will not be anything like Show Low, particularly in the summer. If you haven't experienced summer humidity, you are in for a surprise. I left Southern Indiana (much like KY) for Show Low the spring of '06, couldn't have been happier to leave the humidity behind. Most folks leave the mid west for AZ to escape the winters, not vice versa, but in Show Low, at 6,000 feet elevation, you are at least accustomed to cold and snow. You won't find the small clear trout lakes like in the White Mtns, but you will find large lakes for fishing. One of my favorites was Reel Foot Lake in No. Western TN (not far from KY), known for huge slab crappie.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 11-18-2019, 09:57 PM

8,110 posts, read 4,401,410 times

Paducah

Owensboro

Maysville

Bardstown
Winchester

Wilmore
Midway

Berea

Boonesboro
Elizabethtown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cPjV-Rue0U

Hi! Welcome to the Kentucky Forums here at City Data~
It's a great idea to visit, that can do more than a whole lot of research. I have listed a few smaller towns/cities.
But I have always lived in Louisville or Lexington, so I only know the cities. The small towns are really pretty.

Plus there is Georgetown, Paris, Versailles, and many others.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:37 AM

348 posts, read 667,626 times
In addition to the locales listed above I would add Danville, Stanford and Harrodsburg.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:26 PM

101 posts, read 33,162 times
Don't miss out on visiting the greater Lexington area, and eastern KY in general. The proximity to the Appalachians can't be beat, especially if you find a home with a view of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or