Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 06:34 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
A good Mall??? ... Where? Bradford Square? How many store's are empty in it now?
A good Hospital JSMC? That stands for "Just Sell Me a Casket".

Dude I'm glad you like Hop town, I lived there about 14 year and happiness was Hopkinsville in my rear view mirror. The schools are horrid, crime was above average and the inner city part of it was no place to be at night, a lot of drugs.

Don't get me wrong I have a lot of friends still in Hopkinsville and I like a lot of people there but no way no how would I move back there.
I'm with Davart on this one. Hoptown ain't that nice or "purty."

Cadiz is about the best small town in WKY, plus during an emergency you can still utilize much better hospitals in Murray or Clarksville, TN.

Surrounding towns like Madisonville, Russellville, Oak Grove, and Cadiz are much nicer and cleaner than Hoptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 08:46 AM

15 posts, read 58,385 times
Default I like Hopkinsville

I live in Hopkinsville now and enjoy it tremendously. Our mall, like many small southern towns, is struggling to attract big box retailers as they've chosen a different growth strategy with stand alone stores. But, I go there frequently enough for our Goody's, Penney's, Bad Bath and Beyond, and our shoe stores.

We have lots of good stores and plenty of entertainment options. And, we're close to several other communities if you need to get a Target fix or want to eat at Red Lobster, etc...

We have several fun and family-friendly events coming up, including:

The Derby Arts Festival on May 3rd
Little River Days Festival May 16-18
Kiwanis Soapbox Derby June 13-14

I'll agree that there are nice communities around us in Cadiz, Pembroke, Oak Grove, etc...but, I'm proud to be from Hoptown and am pleased with the experience of raising my 4 and 6 year old in the community. It's a lot of fun to go to Saturday morning soccer at our oustanding YMCA, YMCA Hopkinsville/Christian County, and see all of your friends while the little ones kick until they can't kick anymore!

Come to Hopkinsville, you'll like it.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:20 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
I live in Hopkinsville now and enjoy it tremendously. Our mall, like many small southern towns, is struggling to attract big box retailers as they've chosen a different growth strategy with stand alone stores. But, I go there frequently enough for our Goody's, Penney's, Bad Bath and Beyond, and our shoe stores.

We have lots of good stores and plenty of entertainment options. And, we're close to several other communities if you need to get a Target fix or want to eat at Red Lobster, etc...

We have several fun and family-friendly events coming up, including:

The Derby Arts Festival on May 3rd
Little River Days Festival May 16-18
Kiwanis Soapbox Derby June 13-14

I'll agree that there are nice communities around us in Cadiz, Pembroke, Oak Grove, etc...but, I'm proud to be from Hoptown and am pleased with the experience of raising my 4 and 6 year old in the community. It's a lot of fun to go to Saturday morning soccer at our oustanding YMCA, YMCA Hopkinsville/Christian County, and see all of your friends while the little ones kick until they can't kick anymore!

Come to Hopkinsville, you'll like it.
Good post Carter!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
If you have a choice, Murray is much, much nicer!
Even thought like I said, I'd move to Hopkinsville, I agree with Rapunzil about Murray. Being a college town there are more activities. MSU has the Lipizzaner stallions this weekend.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 AM

377 posts, read 469,728 times
Default Madisonville, KY - great place to raise a family

I love Madisonville, KY. It's a small town (pop about 25,000) with only a few places to eat, but the folks are kind and there isn't so much trouble for the kids to get into. Many of the social events are sponsored by churches, and you don't have to belong to one to enjoy the "party." Crime is far enough away to relax, and the cost of housing is great! Hanson Elementary and Madisonville North Hopkins (High School) are great schools. The local soccer team is killer, too!

I'm sad to say that my husband's job is taking us from here come June. The home we bought when we moved here would have cost half again as much anywhere else. Cost of living has been quite kind to us.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,537 times
Hop Town is right outside Ft Campbell, KY. SMall community. Very nice if yoyu like country living!!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
A good Hospital JSMC? That stands for "Just Sell Me a Casket".
LMAO!!!!! ..

Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,951 times
Ive lived in hopkisnville my entire 21 years of living and I dont see any reason why anyone would want to move here. There isnt crap to do, most people are stuck up and look down on you if you dont come from the right family, everything is based on who you know, and crime and drugs are bad. We have the population to really do something with the town but nothing ever really gets built, or it goes out of business 6 months later. There arent many jobs around here except fast food or factories. Some people might disagree with me but thats how I see the town. A wasted opportunity.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:27 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
Don't move to HopTown. Drugs and gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky