Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,491 times

Advertisements

I am going to need to buy a house w/ a basement for NO more than $110,000 or so. Fixer upper preferred but must be move-in-able.

I have a son with autism so the school district would need to be good and one where I will not have to fight for the individual attention he needs.

Location doesn't matter for a job or anything, just somewhere as close as possible to 1 of those cities with a good school district and a house that is in a decent family area for not very expensive.

Any thoughts? The cincy outskirts or Louisville outskirts would be preferred over Lexington but again costs and school districts are the main thing. As per the sticky a small town feeling is always nice but sometimes the school districts don't add up.

Thank you for your help. Not sure what the housing market is like there but from the looks of it the house would be needed sometime next summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I am going to need to buy a house w/ a basement for NO more than $110,000 or so. Fixer upper preferred but must be move-in-able.

I have a son with autism so the school district would need to be good and one where I will not have to fight for the individual attention he needs.

Location doesn't matter for a job or anything, just somewhere as close as possible to 1 of those cities with a good school district and a house that is in a decent family area for not very expensive.

Any thoughts? The cincy outskirts or Louisville outskirts would be preferred over Lexington but again costs and school districts are the main thing. As per the sticky a small town feeling is always nice but sometimes the school districts don't add up.

Thank you for your help. Not sure what the housing market is like there but from the looks of it the house would be needed sometime next summer.

Suburban Louisville's Oldham County has arguably the best school district in the state. However, even as our Oldham County expert Tomocox will agree, the schools in Oldham are not too great for an autistic or special needs child.

I would recommend looking into Louisville/Jefferson County schools. The special needs schools are very good with top notch teachers and are not in limbo like the rest of JCPS. You could live in an area like Lyndon, a northeast suburb in Jefferson County, on your budget and price range. There are many nice 1970's era subdivisions with ranches off Westport and LaGrange roads with prices in that range.

With your needs, I think Louisville would be your best option, and then Lexington/Fayette.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Suburban Louisville's Oldham County has arguably the best school district in the state. However, even as our Oldham County expert Tomocox will agree, the schools in Oldham are not too great for an autistic or special needs child.

I would recommend looking into Louisville/Jefferson County schools. The special needs schools are very good with top notch teachers and are not in limbo like the rest of JCPS. You could live in an area like Lyndon, a northeast suburb in Jefferson County, on your budget and price range. There are many nice 1970's era subdivisions with ranches off Westport and LaGrange roads with prices in that range.

With your needs, I think Louisville would be your best option, and then Lexington/Fayette.
Thank you very much. I will look into it.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
I agree with stx12499. Do stick to eastern or northeastern Jefferson County. I can't think of any other systems in the Louisville area that would be good for autistic students...maybe New Albany/Floyd County or Floyd's Knobs Schools. Shoot, other than Oldham Co., Floyd's Knobs, or select Jefferson Co. schools, I put no stock and barrel AT ALL into Greater Louisville's schools.

Lexington might be another good option. I'm not a huge fan of Fayette County Public Schools, but it is the second best system in the Bluegrass region in my opinion and it offers, I'm sure, a great array of programs for special needs students. (The best system is Model Lab, a very small school operation jointly by the state and EKU in Richmond, but they are very small.) Otherwise, Central Kentucky sucks when it comes to public schools. That's NOT a bad attitude on my part; that's FACT!

Greater Cincinnati has more options to choose from. My first pick would be Boone County. Smaller systems like Beechwood and Fort Thomas might not have much for special needs, but are among Kentucky's strongest academically. Look across the river in Ohio--Mason, Montgomery, Fairfield, West Chester, or Maineville--and see what those systems have to offer.

I'm not a huge fan of Kentucky public schools for the most part, can't you tell? But I encourage you to go, pound the pavement, make phone calls, and make a very educated decision. I wish you luck.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 PM

54 posts, read 99,310 times
As a parent of a child with Autism, I will politely disagree with ALL of the above statements.

What parents of NT children don't know is this: A special needs child goes to school where he/she is placed, NOT near your home (unless it just so happens to work out that way). His/her classroom is based on his/her needs and the openings in that classroom. You could live on Dixie Highway and your child could attend school across town off Westport Road-a solid 30-45 min drive, longer for a bus. And yes, I speak from experience. So, in saying this, it doesn't really matter how you feel about a specific school or area of schools bc unless your child is in a mainstream classroom, he/she may not be necessarily attending his/her school near your home.

I have heard, however, that Indiana has the best for Autism in regards to health care coverage (something to ponder bc Ky is fighting with it continually!) but I know nothing of their school system. Personally, JCPS are horrifying. The special needs teachers are not trained for Autism directly. With the influx of our children saturating the school system, it should be mandated by the state for all special needs teachers to have a few classes WHILE IN SCHOOL for Autism PRIOR TO GRADUATION!

Personally, your best bet is private school. IF your child is mainstreamed, you might not have as much of a problem. If you're looking for smaller classroom sizes, choose a county outside of Jefferson-perhaps between Lex/Lou? Danville, Lawrenceburg, Harrodsburg are all very nice towns. I know nothing of their school systems, but I'd think the classroom sizes would be smaller, which often alleviates many of the sensory overload our children face.

GOOD LUCK! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! My son is 11, btw. Just entered Middle School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky