Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:40 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,134,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Dictionary.com You can also use this resource to look up other big words, like obtuse.
Actually I was hoping to read YOUR definition of moron, because I have the notion it differs from the definition of the same word in the dictionary.
Maybe you misunderstood my short sentence.
Anyway (or anyhoo) I don't think San Francisco is populated by morons. They have many educated people that are employed in the micro-electronics industries. Hardly the type of jobs for morons. San Francisco has a lively cultural scene; music, arts, theater, etc. I think it's also safe to assume that most San Francisco adults have english reading and writing skills that are above 3rd grade level. But it has a major flaw, the city is probably full of people who are not exactly like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,408,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Actually I was hoping to read YOUR definition of moron, because I have the notion it differs from the definition of the same word in the dictionary.
Anyway (or anyhoo) I don't think San Francisco is populated by morons. They have many educated people that are employed in the micro-electronics industries. Hardly the type of jobs for morons. San Francisco has a lively cultural scene; music, arts, theater, etc. I think it's also safe to assume that most San Francisco adults have english reading and writing skills that are above 3rd grade level. But it has a major flaw, the city is probably full of people who are not exactly like you.
Did I say it was "full of morons" or did I say they "welcome moron with open arms"?
Try not to take what I say out of context and rephrase it. If I need to explain what I said in simple English please let me know.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,134,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Did I say it was "full of morons" or did I say they "welcome moron with open arms"?
Try not to take what I say out of context and rephrase it. If I need to explain what I said in simple English please let me know.
Do you have a guitar? I think you'd make a great sonwriter.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 AM

728 posts, read 1,669,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post

With all these wonderful cultural amenities that SF has to offer, why do you troll over on the Kentucky boards? I figured a suave, elitist liberal like yourself would have other things to do then worry about our "backwoods" state.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:26 PM

137 posts, read 446,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
This is likely a satire, but still it contains a loose sentiment some liberal Louisvillians feel. There is a disconnect between the state's largest city and her rural neighbors, bur is this kind of article necessary?

From Louisville's liberal alt weekly, Leo:

Home | LEO Weekly

Summary of My Discontent: A cry for secession
By Jim Welp

The time has come for Louisville to secede from Kentucky. The two have been at philosophical odds ever since our forefathers chose Frankfort as the state’s bucolic capital in 1792, ensuring a salt-of-the-earth-if-mildly-retarded state-worker pool forevermore.

Because Louisville is a vibrant, progressive city (not counting Dan Seum) in a dirt-poor, third-world state*, it’s only natural that our tax dollars whisk to Frankfort each year, while only a small percentage hobble back in the form of evolution-agnostic textbooks and posh dormitories for college athletes.

Sure, it’s awesome knowing our tax dollars are going to help coax the worms out of some Appalachian kid’s toenails because his people can’t provide shoes. It’s the same sort of glow that comes from writing a check to the Red Cross for Darfur. Call me a starry-eyed optimist, but I don’t mind buying school lunches for children in Monkey’s Unibrow because I think it’s important to give them something to look forward to besides listening to their daddys’ Bocephus records while making out with their siblings.

But at some point, Kentucky has got to stop holding Louisville back. It’s fine for our country cousins to smoke their Luckies and shoot their tater cannons and snort their Oxy and recite the Ten Commandments off a tombstone in the town square while hating gays, but why do I have to pay the emergency-room tab with my tax money? Louisville wants to be a progressive city; Kentucky wants to be a regressive state. Why don’t we both own up to it and part company amicably?

The refusal of the 2008 General Assembly to raise the cigarette tax was the last straw. The commonwealth is perpetually desperate for roads, education, healthcare and social services, while leading the nation in smoking and smoking-related illnesses. One in four pregnant women smoke.

Forty percent of our poorest citizens smoke. The state incurs $1.5 billion each year in smoking-related healthcare costs. By raising the cigarette tax, Kentucky could’ve generated desperately needed revenue while simultaneously improving health.

There is a classic ethical quiz put to philosophy students called The Cave Dilemma. The story goes like this: You and four others are exploring a cave when water begins to rise. The first person to flee the cave is a morbidly obese Kentuckian who gets stuck in the mouth of the cave, trapping everyone inside, where they will surely perish from the rising water and/or his Taco-Bell flatulence.

Being a Kentuckian yourself, you discover a stick of dynamite in your back pocket. Do you blast the corpulent bastard out of the cave, which would kill him and set the others free? Or do you leave him to survive and let the rest drown?

The Cave Dilemma presents ethics students with two bad options: Kill one person or let five die. When philosophers discuss the dilemma they say there are no wrong answers. But there is a wrong answer, and Kentucky senators found it. In refusing to raise the cigarette tax, the General Assembly chose to both kill the fat guy stuck in the cave and everyone inside. Is that the kind of state you want to live in?

Unfortunately, the system is stacked against us. Rural lawmakers — both Republican and Demopublican — don’t just work against our city’s interests, they gleefully urinate in any Louisville-flavored Cheerios they can find, then celebrate on lobbyist money at Thunder and Derby parties. And they have us woefully outnumbered.

So it’s time to secede. We could bolt for Indiana, but that wouldn’t help: same hicks, different accent. Instead, imagine:
Louisville, the city-state.

OK, so modern city-states don’t have a great track record. Vatican City and Singapore are living in the same century as rural Kentucky. And Washington, D.C. attracts miscreants like Karl Rove and Mitch McConnell.

But it could be a perfect solution for pulling Louisville into the future without dragging the bulky deadweight of Kentucky along. Imagine a Louisville without Kentucky. We’d have the arts, the economic engine, the educated workforce and the talented homosexuals without all that pesky redneckery. And imagine a Kentucky without Louisville. They could handle their rattlesnakes and teach their little bullies creationism and root for their Wallcats on their topless mountains without having to fight off hippies and atheists.

See? Win-win. Maybe we could even swap Fairdale for Bernheim Forest …

* Not counting the equine, coal, tobacco, liquor, banking, energy, fast-food, automobile and marijuana millionaires.

Contact the writer at
jimwelp@gmail.com
Wow, this is one of the most hateful and racist things I have ever read! This truely should not have been posted on here!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:54 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,033,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
Wow, this is one of the most hateful and racist things I have ever read! This truely should not have been posted on here!!!
I agree with you, Kentuckyguy.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:15 PM

108 posts, read 450,904 times
So I read this article and was very confused, which is not surprising, considering the fact that I was born and raised in the Appalachian region of Kentucky, and therefore am not able to comprehend things like satire. I had to ask my wife what this term meant (she's from the big city--the Baltimore/DC area). She explained that satire is a form of literature in which human shortcomings and/or the problems of society are ridiculed in an attempt to improve the situation. Or something like that. As an eastern Kentucky native, of course I have no use for reading or writing, so I'm unfamiliar with these types of concepts.

Once I was able to understand that, I could better understand Mr. Welp's article. He is really such a nice man to enlighten us hicks as to just how much we are keeping Kentucky in the dark ages. What a great sense of humor he has!
Quote:
Sure, it’s awesome knowing our tax dollars are going to help coax the worms out of some Appalachian kid’s toenails because his people can’t provide shoes. It’s the same sort of glow that comes from writing a check to the Red Cross for Darfur. Call me a starry-eyed optimist, but I don’t mind buying school lunches for children in Monkey’s Unibrow because I think it’s important to give them something to look forward to besides listening to their daddys’ Bocephus records while making out with their siblings.
I love the joke about us folks in Appalachia not wearing shoes...that's hysterical! And then throwing in a little Sudan-related humor--what a classy move! This fine example of wit and humor concludes with an incest joke. I swear, when I read that I laughed harder than I ever have in my whole life. The only thing that's missing is a fart joke...oh wait, he throws in one of those a few paragraphs later. I really need to sign up for the Jim Welp mailing list.

Seriously, though, I've always been able to peacefully coexist with conservatives and liberals alike. I prefer to "live and let live," as they say. I certainly wouldn't want to only be around people who think just like me. However, I do not care for the condescending attitude displayed in this article. I'd dislike it just as much if it came from a conservative author, so this is not the result of some anti-liberal bias. I'm not easily offended. I understand he's trying to make a point. But after living my whole life encountering people's preconceived notions about rural Kentucky and Appalachia in general, perhaps I've developed a short fuse when it comes to things like this.

This is America, so Mr. Welp is free to express himself in articles such as these...but is it too much to ask for him to make half an attempt to restrain his feelings of superiority to the rest of us slack-jawed yokels?

I guess I'll have to send him a note of apology on behalf of eastern Kentucky. Perhaps I can ask Governor Manchin if West Virginia would be willing to annex everything east of the Lexington metro area just to take it off Kentucky's hands.

I actually like Louisville, I just hope the majority of its residents are a little more pleasant than Mr. Welp!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:43 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
I actually like Louisville, I just hope the majority of its residents are a little more pleasant than Mr. Welp!
We are and most of us don't think that y'all are a bunch of inbred hicks either.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM

7,064 posts, read 16,643,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
It absolutely should be posted here. And I was the one who used the word satire for whoever it confused. I do believe it to be a satire. I don't think he REALLY thinks all those things. What he is trying to say is why is it that the rural legislators are so anti-growth, anti-urban, and for heaven's sake cut education but cannot even raise a cigarrette tax?? These questions need to be answered, and they are all facts of modern KY. Welp just went about it in the wrong way by taking cheap shots. You see, the problem is, Kentuckians often get mad when outsiders come and point out these hard realities, yet they do nothing to fix it. Kentucky's lack of a high cigarrette tax in light of its number one smoking and lung cancer rates is appalling, and quite frankly, disgusting. And to top it off, with roughly flat job growth outside its metro areas, KY has decided to make MAJOR cuts to all its schools, including UofL which is reeling from the cuts. So, instead of worrying about stupid stereotypes that no one, not even the writer, believes to be true, Kentuckians must focus on the REAL FACTUAL problems that plague us. THAT, is the point.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:58 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,033,549 times
We don't need additional cigarette taxes. (Cigarette has 1 "r") There is no eternal law stating that cigarette taxes must be raised. I don't smoke, but don't see any reason why one product should be taxed ad infinitum in this manner.

If people want economic growth or quality schools, they need to get busy and make it happen. Posting a sign at the state's border with some cheesy slogan (anybody remember "where education pays"?) isn't going to do it. The lottery won't do it, taxes won't do it, and mocking and complaining won't do it. Big Brother and his amazing pork barrel can only do just so much. Folks are going to need to get energetic, come up with worthwhile products, get them made and sold. That's IF they want economic growth.

It could be that Kentucky is just simply destined to be a rural state. That is good. Every country needs rural regions, and Kentucky has very pretty rural regions. And to make them economically viable, people will have to get energetic and work them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky