Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2006, 12:20 PM

257 posts, read 1,077,988 times

Advertisements

Hi, I enjoy a vibrant downtown, and historical riverfronts, with plenty of walking, and biking. Where in KY could I get this? I am looking for a great place to move to now nearing my 50's where I would like to eventually retire in.
I love old architecture on buildings, road bicycling on rolling hills and neighborhoods, greenways.....and a thriving downtown!!! A riverfront community with a boardwalk would be esp a plus. I can transfer just about anywhere.....

Anyone have any opinions? or ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 11:04 AM

7,064 posts, read 16,641,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
Hi, I enjoy a vibrant downtown, and historical riverfronts, with plenty of walking, and biking. Where in KY could I get this? I am looking for a great place to move to now nearing my 50's where I would like to eventually retire in.
I love old architecture on buildings, road bicycling on rolling hills and neighborhoods, greenways.....and a thriving downtown!!! A riverfront community with a boardwalk would be esp a plus. I can transfer just about anywhere.....

Anyone have any opinions? or ideas?

You have just described Louisville. Our downtown is really coming back and there are some good living options down there. Something you may really be interested in is this development which is on the river close to downtown:

www.riverparkplace.net

Louisville has a historic downtown with cultural amenities, a huge park on the river for walking, and major city amenties without major city hassle. The city has recently painted bike lanes on several major roads into downtown. Several neighborhoods surrounding downtown are historic and dense and provide nice hills, a pro cycling environment, and great parks. Areas you would like are the Highlands and Crescent Hill. Hope this helps.

www.louisvilleky.gov

Old 12-01-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Louisville

I visited Louisville about 25yrs ago, and loved the downtown waterfront...I am just wondering if there is alot for an almost 50 single woman to do there. Are the parks pretty nice? Is there alot of people that bike there? What about quaint bookstores/coffeeshops type things.......

Does this have anything over Owensboro, or some of the other communities besides being a bigger city?

Thank you this does help

Old 12-07-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I visited Louisville about 25yrs ago, and loved the downtown waterfront...I am just wondering if there is alot for an almost 50 single woman to do there. Are the parks pretty nice? Is there alot of people that bike there? What about quaint bookstores/coffeeshops type things.......

Does this have anything over Owensboro, or some of the other communities besides being a bigger city?

Thank you this does help
yes, Louisville offers several areas of what you are looking for. Really, it is several smaller cities within a bigger city. It is really the only place in KY that has an extensive and diverse options for parks, urban amenties, night life, culture, arts, museums, antiques, coffee shops, etc. Owensboro is so small and lacks many original businesses. I would most likely compare Owensboro to a suburb of Louisville like New Albany or Jeffersonville, IN. The best quaint bookstore in KY is Carmichael's on Bardstown Rd in Louisville. Heine Brothers Coffee is also great. You will not find these types of businesses in other parts of KY in the way they have them in Louisville. Its sort of apples and oranges.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:28 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,990,375 times
I live in So. California but often visit my best friend who lives in Prospect (about 20 minutes from Louisville)....I find Louisville and many of the surrounding towns delightful. I am constantly surprised at the level of sohphistication and artfullness in the unique shops and restaurants. Look at the Courier Newspaper online for a list of weekend activities and articles about what is going on in Louisville.

If you are looking to buy - check out Semonin.com and KYselectproperties.com for great downtown condos and historic homes.

I find downtown Louisville to have lots to offer and is extremely clean. My favorite waterfront restaurant to go to in the Summer is Captain's Quarters (they have terraced outdoor seating overlooking the water with live music on the weekends and a huge outdoor bar...you can watch people boat in to eat the restaurant...they make a mean Hot Brown there but it is only sold in the winter.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:03 AM

Default hello

Stx......I was wondering if you could give me some zipcodes to look into on these places u said were nice places to live..........Also I couldn't get that link to tell me any prices or anything on those condos, but thank you anyhow.

Also,
Are there any greenways connecting your park systems? or are they kind of spread out?

Also.....is there a pretty diverse climate of singles there?

What is the weather like? do u get lots of snow? below zero weather? bugs?
humidity?

Thanks......

Old 01-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Stx......I was wondering if you could give me some zipcodes to look into on these places u said were nice places to live..........Also I couldn't get that link to tell me any prices or anything on those condos, but thank you anyhow.

Also,
Are there any greenways connecting your park systems? or are they kind of spread out?

Also.....is there a pretty diverse climate of singles there?

What is the weather like? do u get lots of snow? below zero weather? bugs?
humidity?

Thanks......
Check out Louisvilleky.gov for more info.

40202 is downtown. Downtown is on teh upswing and is quite safe and vibrant. Waterfront Park is a gem. You would absoultely love east Market Street. http://www.galleryhop.org/ is a great way to meet people in the area downtown.

40208 is Old Louisville. It is eclectic and diverse, and is the largest remaining district of Victorian Mansions in the US.

40204 and 40205 comprise most of what is generically refered to as the Highlands. Look at Bardstown Road and the areas around it which is hopping with parks, coffee shops, etc. Some areas can be pricey though.

40206 and 40207 comprise Clifton, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews. All are upper end areas that are extremely nice. I would focus on areas around Frankfort Ave.

Those are just the highlights. also, there is a local site called Louisvillemojo.com. It is mostly full of younger kids looking to "hook up" but there are plenty of older singles and nice locals on there who well tell you why Louisville is a great city.

As for parks, you will be hard pressed to find a city with a nicer systems. Designed by Frederick Law Olmstead (who did Central Park in NY), Louisville's major marks are connected by tree lined parkways lined with magnificent 100 year old Oak trees. These Parkways, notably Eastern, Southern, and Northwestern, are a true gift to the city. I would check out eastern parkway and its entrance to Cherokee Park when you explore around Bardstown Road.

Furthermore, the mayor has announced an initiative knwon as the City of Parks which will develop a 100 mile green corridor around the metro! Check the city's website above for more info.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:13 AM

850 posts, read 3,150,028 times
stx - I have lived here all my life and had no idea the person who designed Central Park was responsible for the layout of our park system.

That is incredible. I felt quite proud as I read that!

Thanks for the info!

KimmieyKY

Old 01-07-2007, 02:07 PM

stx......U ARE DA BOMB!!!!!

I don't know how to thank you enough for all that info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky