U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:05 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,556,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia007 View Post
SO Funny!
Why thank ya darlin! I'm here all week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
i am surprised people have not figured out how to make some sort of fuel for their car from a still.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,556,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i am surprised people have not figured out how to make some sort of fuel for their car from a still.
Yeah I thought about that too, like they did on Dukes of Hazzard (no, really they did...)

Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,753,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
I always thought it took multiple runs with a pot still to get 190 proof shine. Or are you talking about a reflux still? To be honest, I'm more interested in making a vodka (use potatoes) instead of a corn liquor (the price of corn is just too high). I'm also aware that special brewers yeast can tolerate higher levels of ethanol in the mash before they die off. I'm assuming that while you get higher yields of ethanol with brewers yeast, you could probably recycle the mash more times by using regular bakers yeast. How long do you recommend letting the mash sit before running it? If I used regular yeast How long does it take for the yeast to do their work?
Well for purer and higher proof alcohol use a reflux. The reboil effect will remove more of the water. I pot still can yield high proof alcohol with some modifications like a thump keg and a worm box. You can check the purity of the output by burning it and the bluer the flame the purer the product, you do not want anything that does not have a blue, blue/white or clear flame.
The type of yeast and methods vary based on your still, it's like most things the design, heat, mix etc will dictate many of the answers to your questions. What works for one might not work for another. I would advise starting small, still can be very dangerous and can explode.
So it's really better to just start experimenting than trying to duplicate another recipe. Facts are you can make moonshine out of many things. Pretty much anything that will ferment.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:21 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,392,332 times
Wow "Davart" way to set a good example, did you notice in his profile that he's 19. Why are you encouraging this behavior? This can lead to doing drugs and other illegal activities. Don't you realize that? Of course not.....man some people.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Don't forget we only bathe twice a year and still use our outhouses too!
I knew there was a reason I left Ky. lol...

Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,753,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Wow "Davart" way to set a good example, did you notice in his profile that he's 19. Why are you encouraging this behavior? This can lead to doing drugs and other illegal activities. Don't you realize that? Of course not.....man some people.
Please provide facts and case studies that home brewing leads to a life of drugs and crime. I've been home brewing since way before I was 19 and I do not do illegal drugs nor engage in illegal activities.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 AM

6,961 posts, read 12,375,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Huck, there was a news story several years back about a man in Hardin who actually got a government permit to legally run a small still for fuel. Don't know how far it went though.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:33 AM

125 posts, read 381,781 times
Default Al

I was in Bama last weekend and there was someone there who had some shine. It was good, ApplePie! haha But the old nascar racer ,Junior Johnson, he has his own moonshine now. It is Carolina Shine. Its ok, Its a vodka. but I like the one from Bama! that was awesome! tasted like apple pie! haha then there was peaches also. They was good to...

Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,392,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal05 View Post
I was in Bama last weekend and there was someone there who had some shine. It was good, ApplePie! haha But the old nascar racer ,Junior Johnson, he has his own moonshine now. It is Carolina Shine. Its ok, Its a vodka. but I like the one from Bama! that was awesome! tasted like apple pie! haha then there was peaches also. They was good to...
I don't know what I just read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky