U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,754,925 times

Advertisements

Yeah, shut it down it only brings about $20,000,000 into the local economy, who needs that. I mean it's not just Paducah but many of the surrounding towns ... we've got money to burn here, shut'er down. /sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 03:54 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,566,181 times
20 million??? WOW!!! Hope you got a link to somewhere that backs that up. Perhaps that is just more spin from the Paxton Propaganda Machine.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 PM

UPDATE: WPSD just ran another story about the Executive Inn vs AQS vs City of Paducah. The people who run the quilt show were telling people to complain about the Executive Inn and the adjacent convention center. The owner (Buhphinder Singh...probably wrong spelling) said he is in no way going to sell the Inn and will make improvements. The city and the AQS want the Inn shutdown and Singh has them all by the balls. What will happen is the AQS will get fed up with the whole thing and leave Paducah. The show being in Paducah is hanging on by a thread. Hell, if Murray had the hotel space and a few more restaurants, they would be more apt to host the show. There are at least two places in Murray that put the Paducah convention center to shame, both looks-wise and size-wise.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,761,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
The quilt show is not in the hotel. It is adjacent to the hotel in the tiny convention center the city built. Anywho, each year the quilt show rolls around, all you ever seem to hear in the local news is how badly the Executive Inn looks and how many repairs have not been made, etc, etc. I was saying in my initial post, that if you get rid of the quilt show, maybe we can stop hearing about a hotel that should have been imploded years ago.

By the way, the new hotel that is being proposed downtown is not a very smart business move. If Paducah loses the quilt show (they threaten to pull out every year), that hotel will become a blunder of massive proportions. The new hotel will be isolated from the interstate, the airport (what's left of it), mainstream shopping, etc. You will then have one brand new hotel with no one in it and one massive rundown hotel to compliment it...oh...also with no one in it. But hey, that's the way Paducah rolls.
What's wrong with the airport?

Last edited by BLS2753; 04-29-2008 at 11:35 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
What's wrong with the airport?
Three commercial flights daily and over 100 employees. Nothing wrong with that picture? Yes, I know they have freight and other things to do, but THREE commercial flights is a joke.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:59 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,761,581 times
Quote:
Three commercial flights daily and over 100 employees. Nothing wrong with that picture? Yes, I know they have freight and other things to do, but THREE commercial flights is a joke.
Actually it's six.

Show me any airport serving a similar population base, that has more frequent service. Many of similar size, have lost service entirely. Regionally, Owensboro, Bowling Green, Cape Girardeau MO, and Jackson TN, for example. Some might regain service and Paducah might lose some. In today's airline economics, who knows. In any case it's not the local government's fault.

As far as number of employees, many positions are mandated by FAA regulation and are relevant to safety issues.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:08 PM

Fine, I will trade semantics. Three flights inbound from the same place and three outbound TO the same place. Who the hell cares? Three...six...it's almost nothing either way. Anywho, the days of the regional airport are almost over. What does the Paducah airport have to do with this thread? Oh wait...I mentioned the airport not being located anywhere near the downtown area. Is that not true?

Now back to the TOPIC at hand. What can Paducah do (without more tax dollars) to save the AQS quilt show and force the implosion of the Executive Inn?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 29,552 times
Quote:
20 million??? WOW!!! Hope you got a link to somewhere that backs that up. Perhaps that is just more spin from the Paxton Propaganda Machine.
You sure are grumpy.

The Quilt show draws a estimated 40,000 people to Paducah( Quilt Show Co-Founder Talks About Future - NewsChannel 6 WPSD (http://www.wpsdtv.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=d88e95c3-e39d-4c49-8acb-b8b820366819 - broken link) ), the Executive Inn has around 430 rooms. This show is huge for Paducah and brings in a lot of money to the town(especially to the downtown area). It is a big deal for a lot more than just the Executive Inn and it is vital for the other 15 hotels in Paducah, heck people stay in hotels as far away as Marion Illinois for the show.

Loosing the quilt show would be devestating for Paducah, the $20,000,000 number probably isn't that far off(with 40,000 people showing up that's only $500 a person). The Executive needs to be torn down and replaced, the city really doesn't have any choice because it's the main reason they keep talking about moving the show. If they replaced the hotel then the show isn't going to leave. The quilt show is vital to Paducah and the surrounding area.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 29,552 times
Quote:
Fine, I will trade semantics. Three flights inbound from the same place and three outbound TO the same place. Who the hell cares? Three...six...it's almost nothing either way. Anywho, the days of the regional airport are almost over. What does the Paducah airport have to do with this thread? Oh wait...I mentioned the airport not being located anywhere near the downtown area. Is that not true?

Now back to the TOPIC at hand. What can Paducah do (without more tax dollars) to save the AQS quilt show and force the implosion of the Executive Inn?
The quilt show is the reason there are investors currently willing to invest $60 million into a new hotel there. They recently spent 7 million to expand the Julian Carroll Convention Center to 110,000 square feet, it is pretty worthless without a hotel attached to it. They need to have a hotel there regardless and it is the quilt show that will bring in interested investors needed to replace the crumbling hulk. Loosing the quilt show probably means Paducah would be stuck with Singh and the Big E.

You are right that the airport is utterly irrelevant to the topic of discussion, only about 200 people a day fly in or out of Barkley field. That's why there isn't a hotel within 5 miles of it now(the Executive is all of 9 miles from the airport).

Old 04-30-2008, 03:58 PM

I know I am grumpy, but that doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand.

First off, Paducah and the surrounding area were around LONG before the quilt show and will remain long after. The issue is, how can the city FORCE the closure of the Executive Inn? If it is closed, torn-down, and a 150-room hotel (which is the number being proposed) put in it's place, the quilt show will be put even further behind the 8-ball. It will be alot LESS rooms then before. And as for towns outside of Paducah gaining from the show, I agree. It is the hotels, gas stations, and restaurants that get the most. Paducah is not adequate in size to host such an event. The quilt show execs can see this and they realize that 40,000 who visit the quilt show in Paducah could very well become 100,000 or more if they moved the show to a "real" city with more to offer. Hell, it sure would be less politics to deal with.

I really do feel sorry for Paducah. The city had the chance to buy the Executive Inn when it was for sale. They thought they could strong-arm Bhupinder Singh and put him in their political pocket like they do with everyone else in the city. He played coy at first and now HE has the city by the balls. If he sells, it will be for a massive amount of profit. The city has to try and bank on a small 150-room hotel to be built in hopes of keeping the quilt show, all the while the quilt show threatens to leave EVERY year. Now what does the city do? Do they try and buy out Singh for an insane amount of money? Do they build a new hotel and let the Executive Inn sit there and rot? What if they build the hotel and the quilt show decides to pack up and leave? On top of this, Paducah is losing population, stores are leaving (ie: World Market), Target has turned down the city citing population numbers as the reason why they aren't coming, they have the highest income tax in the Jackson Purchase (I think), crime remains high for such a small city, etc etc. I could go on and on. Paducah is in real trouble folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky