U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 PM

6,958 posts, read 12,372,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Ouch...what a zinger!!!

My opinions are my own. If people don't like them...skip over them. BTW, I don't live in Paducah. Cesspools are hard a hard place to live.
Dad, I don't agree with 99.999% of what you say, but I'll back you all the way for saying how you feel. Opinions are like rear ends! Everybody has one...and some stink from time to time! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 02:09 PM

6,958 posts, read 12,372,463 times
Story on the front page of the Paducah Sun today says two men are getting ready to build a 7 story, 150 room Hyatt Hotel near the Carson Center. They also have plans for another hotel in the downtown area.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:43 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Story on the front page of the Paducah Sun today says two men are getting ready to build a 7 story, 150 room Hyatt Hotel near the Carson Center. They also have plans for another hotel in the downtown area.
And if the quilt show goes, the hotels will be used for..............???

Old 05-04-2008, 07:38 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,751,677 times
Quote:
And if the quilt show goes, the hotels will be used for..............???
You're just a little ray of sunshine aren't you?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
You're just a little ray of sunshine aren't you?
Answer the question. Why is everyone afraid to admit that if the quilt show goes, the hotels downtown will become giant paper weights? The truth hurts sometimes.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:27 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,751,677 times
Quote:
Answer the question. Why is everyone afraid to admit that if the quilt show goes, the hotels downtown will become giant paper weights? The truth hurts sometimes.
You right the truth does hurt and as I've said you're just a ray of sunshine, painful thought isn't it? I have no idea why you stay in a area that you seem to so deeply despise. I do not believe I have read one single positive post from you regarding the area. If it's so bad why not just move and there is NO EXCUSE not to move, if you want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it and no one and nothing is keeping you here.
One can find bad in anything if you look at it long enough and one can good too.

It would seem you are just a "the glass is half empty" kinda person and that fine, but my glass is half full. I find optimizing more enjoyable than pessimism.

Have a great day ... or a crappy one, it's completely up to you.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
You right the truth does hurt and as I've said you're just a ray of sunshine, painful thought isn't it? I have no idea why you stay in a area that you seem to so deeply despise. I do not believe I have read one single positive post from you regarding the area. If it's so bad why not just move and there is NO EXCUSE not to move, if you want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it and no one and nothing is keeping you here.
One can find bad in anything if you look at it long enough and one can good too.

It would seem you are just a "the glass is half empty" kinda person and that fine, but my glass is half full. I find optimizing more enjoyable than pessimism.

Have a great day ... or a crappy one, it's completely up to you.
I am simply trying to stay on-topic. Your opinion of me is of no concern. It doesn't zing me or make me cry or anything for that matter. However, I would really like to know exactly what the new hotels in downtown Paducah will be used for once the quilt show packs up and blows out of town? See, I stay on-topic.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:47 AM

868 posts, read 1,512,244 times
The quilt show has very little to do with the solvency of hotels in the Paducah area. It's 5 days of capacity, but that's it. The other 360 days of the year are infinitely more important to the success of any of the hotels in Paducah. Just a couple years ago the Executive Inn was at 40-50% capacity (that has reportedly dropped to 10%). That's around 200 rooms per night before there was an influx of barge industry headquarters in the downtown area, in a largely isolated and antiquated hotel. The new hotel downtown will be many times nicer and has 150 rooms plus condos and a restaurant. The demand that filled the Big E to 40% a night did not disappear; in fact, it has most likely increased since the barge industry is booming now. Throw in regular events at the nearby Carson Center, and it's easy to see why a new 150-room luxury hotel will succeed.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
The quilt show has very little to do with the solvency of hotels in the Paducah area. It's 5 days of capacity, but that's it. The other 360 days of the year are infinitely more important to the success of any of the hotels in Paducah. Just a couple years ago the Executive Inn was at 40-50% capacity (that has reportedly dropped to 10%). That's around 200 rooms per night before there was an influx of barge industry headquarters in the downtown area, in a largely isolated and antiquated hotel. The new hotel downtown will be many times nicer and has 150 rooms plus condos and a restaurant. The demand that filled the Big E to 40% a night did not disappear; in fact, it has most likely increased since the barge industry is booming now. Throw in regular events at the nearby Carson Center, and it's easy to see why a new 150-room luxury hotel will succeed.
That's it...build more condo's when the one's they already have are just flying off the market.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 AM

868 posts, read 1,512,244 times
First off, the condos are completely separate from the hotel. The hotel can be a success without the condos succeeding and vice versa. There is clearly demand for 150-175 hotel rooms in downtown Paducah, and I would argue there is enough demand for twice that number given the correct hotel amenities.

Do you have any proof that condos aren't flying off the market as fast as they are completed? I don't have any idea either way, but James and his partner are very prudant investors. I have a hard time believing they would add significant costs to their project if they didn't feel there was a legitimate chance of making a return on their investment. While the nation's condo market is fairly lackluster at the moment due to the overall real estate market, the situation we'll find ourselves in when this project is completed in late 2009 is likely to be improved dramatically.

Regardless of the outcome of the condos Paducah will have a new asset (hotel) it can use in its arsenal to continue investment in and around downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky