Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 15,881 times

Advertisements

Lived in CA. my whole life, and I can't get out of here fast enough! Nanny state policies, sky high taxes, traffic, rudest people,the list goes on and on.
We thought we could improve our families quality of life by moving us 45 mins away from Sacramento to the foothills. Our place is lovely 2 acres nestled in the forest. But appearances can be deceiving. We have tweakers roaming through, and even setting up little tweaker tent cities on and around our property! And believe me when I say, in California, dregs of society are a protected class! So, we're out of here.
Rural Kentucky or Tennessee is fully on our radar, but we're seeing lots of reports of those states being over run with meth, from the tweakers to even cartels. That makes me pump our brakes, and reach out to anyone out there who will be so kind as to chime in here with the good the bad and the ugly about KY, and TN. Please help us not jump from the frying pan, into the fire. If we buy a place out there with 20+ acres, are we going to have to patrol for tweakers, squatters,moonshiners, etc? We need a place where our teen and dogs can explore, roam freely, and our property and possessions are reasonably safe.
My husband is a plumbing contractor, and I will be working remotely so we are definitely looking for a rural, conservative/red, accepting of hardworking God loving outsiders, area . SIDE NOTE, any tips about good broadband high speed internet out there would also be very helpful. So, that's it, any feedback would be so appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 05:03 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
My brother and I kept a place on a state highway in very rural Kentucky (18 miles from Frankfort) for eight years. At best we were up there for a week each month. We only had one burglary during that period, which would not have been a major issue if our insurance agent had not been negligent in performing his duties. The Deputy Sheriff who responded said there were only two thiefs in the whole county, but one of them lived 1.5 miles down the road. I don’t think there would have been problems at all if we had been full-time residents. None of our neighbors reported any problems with thefts or trespassing on their properties. If my spouse would agree, I would move back and buy that same house in a heartbeat.

Last edited by nalabama; 08-15-2020 at 05:52 PM..

Old 08-16-2020, 06:35 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobnjoanie View Post
Lived in CA. my whole life, and I can't get out of here fast enough! Nanny state policies, sky high taxes, traffic, rudest people,the list goes on and on.
We thought we could improve our families quality of life by moving us 45 mins away from Sacramento to the foothills. Our place is lovely 2 acres nestled in the forest. But appearances can be deceiving. We have tweakers roaming through, and even setting up little tweaker tent cities on and around our property! And believe me when I say, in California, dregs of society are a protected class! So, we're out of here.
Rural Kentucky or Tennessee is fully on our radar, but we're seeing lots of reports of those states being over run with meth, from the tweakers to even cartels. That makes me pump our brakes, and reach out to anyone out there who will be so kind as to chime in here with the good the bad and the ugly about KY, and TN. Please help us not jump from the frying pan, into the fire. If we buy a place out there with 20+ acres, are we going to have to patrol for tweakers, squatters,moonshiners, etc? We need a place where our teen and dogs can explore, roam freely, and our property and possessions are reasonably safe.
My husband is a plumbing contractor, and I will be working remotely so we are definitely looking for a rural, conservative/red, accepting of hardworking God loving outsiders, area . SIDE NOTE, any tips about good broadband high speed internet out there would also be very helpful. So, that's it, any feedback would be so appreciated.
Let me start by warning you that plumbing contractors don’t make near as much here as in California. One of the notable difference we found between living in Northern Virginia and semi-rural Kentucky is the cost of skilled labor. There are oodles of proficient hands-on home owners or relatives of home owners.

No, you will not have to worry about tweakers, squatters, or moonshiners on your private property. If you find them and call the local sheriff he will run them off for you. They will not however patrol for them. The previous time we lived here we had a healthy amount of acreage. Our biggest problem with other people’s misuse of our land was people from the nearest large city dumping their dogs.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:03 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I agree with Oldhag, your income will plummet. If that is something you are willing to sacrifice, for a different way of life, go for it.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:53 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I recently had that experience with an electrical contractor but not a plumber. I needed electrical work done in my house in KY regarding an AC unit. I was rather desperate, needed the work done ASAP and still living in CA. The house is in a small town so the number of professional electricians was very limited.
I fully expect the electrician to charge me about $300-$400 for the work which I thought would have been fair. I told him whatever the bill is, send it to me ASAP and I will pay it immediately. Well about a month later I received a total bill for only $130 which included parts and labor for 2 people. He thanked me for giving him my business.
He could have charged me a lot more and being in CA I wouldn't have known the difference. It's nice to know there are still honest people.

Last edited by marino760; 08-16-2020 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-16-2020, 10:57 PM

14,765 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:

I had to google what a "tweaker" was!!!!

I don't think you will have a problem with tweakers, squatters or moonshiners.
But like pointed out above. Your husbands income level as a plumbing contractor will significantly decrease.
Housing and cost of living expenses in Kentucky are significantly lower here than in California...but then again so are wages.

But you will see less crime, a calmer and slower pace of life (for most this is a positive, but for some it can be a negative)
....you mention broadband internet, that is almost always better in larger cities and the suburbs around them. I use to work with a man who lived in Woodford County and he couldn't even get broadband where he lived. (This was four or five years ago though so it might have changed) He was from California originally too....he said he was very happy here and happy that he moved. But I quess this would depend on the individual who moved more than anything.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:22 PM

14,765 posts, read 8,093,254 times
^I have a first cousin though who moved from Kentucky to California and he loves it there, I can't imagine him ever moving back. He loves Kentucky and his childhood here, but says that California feels like home to him now. So, I think it is a matter of individual tastes and preferences.

I would highly recommend visiting several times before making a move, that way you can get "a feel" for the place....and that can tell you more than anything anyone else can tell you.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:34 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree with Oldhag, your income will plummet. If that is something you are willing to sacrifice, for a different way of life, go for it.
Yeah, maybe your income will plummet but the cost of living is so much lower here that it levels it out. Look at your prices there. I'm in western Ky., about 30 miles from the Mississippi River. Bought a gallon of milk yesterday for $1.95. Gas just dropped to $1.87.9. Also, go to realtor.com and check out the house prices.

If you had posted this about a month ago I could have had you a great place. My step daughter and family just moved to Pa., to be near son in law's family. They had a 3 br, 2 bath home, near Cadiz, Ky., on 14 wooded acres with a huge unattached garage that they sold for $179,000. The only trespassers they had were the neighbor's cows a couple time when they got through the fence or some occasional coyotes passing through.

Yeah, there may be a drug problem, but It's not like I don't see it out on street corners and all that. We have some nice small towns in the state. I used to tell people on here there are 120 counties in the commonwealth of Kentucky. Surely there's one for just about everybody.

You mention your teens like to explore. If you move to the western part of the state, or maybe even when you come to check things out, you should check out the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. It's 170,000 acres of just nature. You won't see a single residence or business in the park. Plenty of hiking, biking sightseeing, camping, fishing, etc. https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/

Old 08-21-2020, 08:51 PM

12 posts, read 13,504 times
Default Ky

Quote:
chime in here with the good the bad and the ugly about KY, and TN. Please help us not jump from the frying pan, into the fire. If we buy a place out there with 20+ acres, are we going to have to patrol for tweakers, squatters,moonshiners, etc? We need a place where our teen and dogs can explore, roam freely, and our property and possessions are reasonably safe.
good -values of peeps are good, usually....... Happy Hunting Ground --- I only know Northern Kentucky (NKY) the peeps here are very friendly and easy to get along with.. Good new schools, much $$ has been spent upgrading. As well your choice of quality private Christian

the bad -- humidity .. I hate it hot

and the ugly -- stay away from Metro areas

If we buy a place out there with 20+ acres, are we going to have to patrol for tweakers, squatters,moonshiners, etc? No ... again research area...
Williamstown
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-41855?view=qv

Morning View
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-93228?view=qv

Couple of examples close to me , I'm NKY

"My husband is a plumbing contractor"
A good Plumbing Contractor around NKY can write his own ticket. Great profession
I say Northern KY because the place is booming here. Amazon hub moving into Boone County, the building is going to be a mile long.... Boone county is thriving and NKY has always been growing for the last 40 years. I-75 in the NKY area is misery

For internet you will have to be in a less rural area Locally here I'd say cable is in most areas of NKY. Fiber with Cincy Bell is more in suburbs.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 7,561 times
Hi I’m born and raised in western Kentucky. Coming from California with great weather, you will be in for a surprise. It’s cold half the year. Really cold. It’s October 6 and we’ve already had a night of 37 degrees. Plus the sun only shines half the year. Kentucky is not on the up and up and we DO have a drug problem. They are just not glorified here. I live downtown in a large Victorian home and have had people stop by asking for money many times probably once every month or two. They leave and won’t ever be a nuisance per se. Tennessee is the better option as we’ve considered moving there too but it is so much more crowded than Kentucky and that’s what makes Kentucky great is that houses are spread out with land and no ones here basically. My family and I actually are planning a move to Florida next year. Mainly because of the weather and I do want more work opportunities for my children when they get older. Second reason we are leaving is bc of the drugs. I don’t want my kids working at their first job and dealing with all the meth heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky