U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:07 AM

6,964 posts, read 12,378,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I'm not associated with them in any way, but where are the folks from PETA when these horses are basically run to death? You would think that is something they'd be all over.

A horse being whipped until its ankles give out and crumble. Nice "sport".
You got your wish about PETA. I knew they would start something. It's not like these horses are on the track for the first time when they run in the Derby. They go through a lot of training. Let the horse racing officials have their investigation, leave PETA and all the other groups out of it. If they find fault with the jockey, trainer or owner, then make the punishment severe. If they find no one at fault, it's over! It's amazing nobody says a thing about them whipping the horses in over 130 years of the derby until one dies from something that had nothing to do with the death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:13 AM

8,758 posts, read 8,635,993 times
I don't know why PETA wants to penalize the jockey. They might want to get the autopsy results before they jump to conclusions.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,057,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I don't know why PETA wants to penalize the jockey. They might want to get the autopsy results before they jump to conclusions.

Free publicity that's the only time them PETA whackadoos rear their ugly head.
They think the jockey continued to run her after she was injured..no self respecting jockey would do that
I still can see visions of Barbaro's jockey working so very hard to get him to STOP running once he knew there was someting wrong

Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 AM

431 posts, read 1,482,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Free publicity that's the only time them PETA whackadoos rear their ugly head.
They think the jockey continued to run her after she was injured..no self respecting jockey would do that
I still can see visions of Barbaro's jockey working so very hard to get him to STOP running once he knew there was someting wrong
SO true about PETA.

I agree about the jockey as well he has such bond with her why would he want her to be injured.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:53 AM

31,990 posts, read 17,268,878 times
My take on the whole racing bit is simple.

Having the fastest horse makes big money for the owners. So owners are breeding faster horses to faster horses in hopes of breeding a champion.

Most breeders know their sport well enough to know they should breed to improve the breed, but having said that, my armchair analysis is if you keep trying to get long skinny legs to run faster and faster, its just a matter of time until the legs cannot handle that mass moving down the track.

But to color the whole racing industry with horrid tales of steroids smacks of sensationalism. Let's be honest, none of us is in the business, we are sitting in our front rooms hacking away at the keyboards on yet another emotional subject.

Those inside the industry probably have some pretty good tales, but then there are tales in every sporting industry. NBA, NFL, the Olympics, anything that generates money is going to generate its share of corruption and corrupt individuals.

What's next? Greyhound racing. OH MY! Santa's little helper is my hero.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:20 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,880,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
But to color the whole racing industry with horrid tales of steroids smacks of sensationalism. Let's be honest, none of us is in the business, we are sitting in our front rooms hacking away at the keyboards on yet another emotional subject.
Something that I have always found interesting about horse racing is that the times run haven't really changed much in the past 50+ years.

Kentucky Derby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I hate to post wikipedia but I assume the list is correct.

I find it interesting that you have to go back to the 40s before the winning times change at all. You would have to assume that with new training techniques, selective breeding and the age of steroids that these times would have gone down, but they haven't. In human sports, it has been pretty obvious what these advances have done to previously unbreakable records in the past couple decades.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:30 PM

201 posts, read 425,561 times
PETA is a joke..

Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Something that I have always found interesting about horse racing is that the times run haven't really changed much in the past 50+ years.

Kentucky Derby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I hate to post wikipedia but I assume the list is correct.

I find it interesting that you have to go back to the 40s before the winning times change at all. You would have to assume that with new training techniques, selective breeding and the age of steroids that these times would have gone down, but they haven't. In human sports, it has been pretty obvious what these advances have done to previously unbreakable records in the past couple decades.

The FDA approved steroids given to horses are not to improve speed but to help them recover from injuries or to increase their appetite. This make is possible to race them more often and with shorter breaks between races. The steroids use for horses is not the same as for baseball players, although some do think it makes the horses more aggressive in a race.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM

42 posts, read 103,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The FDA approved steroids given to horses are not to improve speed but to help them recover from injuries or to increase their appetite. This make is possible to race them more often and with shorter breaks between races. The steroids use for horses is not the same as for baseball players, although some do think it makes the horses more aggressive in a race.
Actually, some of the steroids taken in professional HUMAN sports is in fact veterinary anabolics.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowdy_Pants View Post
Actually, some of the steroids taken in professional HUMAN sports is in fact veterinary anabolics.
But not for the same reasons or with the same results always. Using certain steroids approved for horses improves their health in most cases, not so with humans in the end result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky