U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:08 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,556,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Wait a minute, isn't that being racist, too?

The notion that Americans won't do certain jobs, whether it's in Kentucky or in Tennessee, is not only offensive but it is outrageously untrue.
In these times of so many losing jobs, those jobs illegals are doing may someday be needed for Americans. I am not against someone getting out of a bad situation but it can be done legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 AM

8,758 posts, read 8,635,993 times
[quote=Kentuckyguy;3688453]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am sure there is no way to get an accurate count of the hispanic population since so many are illegal

With all do respect, I think y'all are being a little on the racist side.

First of all, you can't just assume that all the Hispanics here are illegal because you may know a few that are or for all you know, "may be." Are, there "so many illegals" or is that just what you think?

Second, diversity is not necessarily a bad thing ya know? It can actually help our economy! Yes, in order for them to help our economy the ones that are actually illegal need to become legal.

Third, do you have any idea how much it costs for them to become legal in most cases? I will tell you. It costs about $2,000-$2,500 for each immigrant for the processing fees for their immigration papers and the physical examination!!! I don't know about you, but I don't have that kind of money in my back pocket. Imagine trying to pay for each family member in your family. How much would that cost? $10,000 maybe? More?

Fourth, they will do the jobs we won't do. You may disagree, but you know it is true. And in some cases they work harder we do.

Before you go pointing the figure and judging people, especially assuming that they are all, "illegals" I would say, look at life from their point of view. Do you know what their living conditions were like before they came to the states? I don't know. Most likely, they were not the fine living conditions we experience here in the states. Would y'all not come if you could have a better life than you have ever had in your home country? Most likely, you probably would come here too. Being married to an immigrant I can tell you that not all immigrants are illegals. My point is, the next time you come across another immigrant, don't just assume they are illegals and don't judge them! You have no right. After all, weren't our white ancestors immigrants from Europe? Oh yes, they were. If y'all are so concerned about the supposed illegals or the individuals you think are, why not help them insted of judging them!

I know for a fact that a huge number are illegal in Warren County. It is such a problem we have an ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) office located in Bowling Green. We have one whole factory with all hispanic employees except management. They crack down on them every now and then and do a raid, but mostly just let it go. I am not being racist about this, just factual. You may not have this situation where you are, but believe me it exists.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:41 PM

137 posts, read 385,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Wait a minute, isn't that being racist, too?

The notion that Americans won't do certain jobs, whether it's in Kentucky or in Tennessee, is not only offensive but it is outrageously untrue.
I was not trying to offend by any means. My point in posting what I did was to say that what some people were saying on this thread was way out of line. If I were an Hispanic or another minority for that matter reading these posts I believe I would be deeply offended by some of the things that were being said. My point again was to say that, not all immigrants are illegals and the fact we need to be careful not to judge people that migrate to Kentucky or any other state for that matter. Also, my point was to say that insted of complaining about illegals/legals why not help them, possibly on the path to citizenship.
Of what has been posted, is some of it out of line or not? I really think that some of it was! I just think we need to be more considerate of what we are posting and consider our audience. Again, I did not mean to offend. I should have possibly been more considerate myself when posting about the "job" thing. That has just been my experience and what I have witnessed firsthand as I have many friends that are immigrants.

Last edited by Kentuckyguy; 05-07-2008 at 04:59 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM

[quote=dixiegirl7;3691308]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post

I know for a fact that a huge number are illegal in Warren County. It is such a problem we have an ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) office located in Bowling Green. We have one whole factory with all hispanic employees except management. They crack down on them every now and then and do a raid, but mostly just let it go. I am not being racist about this, just factual. You may not have this situation where you are, but believe me it exists.
My am sorry, but I did not realize that so many illegals were actually getting in and to stop them, ICE had been set up. It is not a problem where I live, but apparently it is a real problem where you live. They should not just, "let it go" though. That is not very responsible of them. Again, I believe you that it exists. I was just personally offeneded by some of the things people were saying as some of it was way out of line. I think you could agree with me on that point.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:00 PM

[quote=Kentuckyguy;3697097]
Quote:

My am sorry, but I did not realize that so many illegals were actually getting in and to stop them, ICE had been set up. It is not a problem where I live, but apparently it is a real problem where you live. They should not just, "let it go" though. That is not very responsible of them. Again, I believe you that it exists. I was just personally offeneded by some of the things people were saying as some of it was way out of line. I think you could agree with me on that point.
Yes, I don't like racism in any form and for the most part our Hispanic population are hard working people and pretty much stay to themselves. There has been some major drug busts that some have been involved in and some gang activity that has resulted though which I think is why ICE was located here.
Bowling Green is an international refuge city which most are not aware of and it makes it highly diverse. I have no problem with that, I just think everyone should follow the law. Our hispanic population really blew up after 1998. We had a horrible hail storm that caused virtually every house in Bowling Green to need a new roof. It looked like a war zone. Huge crews of hispanic roofers and carpenters migrated our way and worked here for probably two years before the work was all finished. A lot of them decided they really liked it evidently, because they stayed.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:41 PM

[quote=dixiegirl7;3697753]

Bowling Green is an international refuge city which most are not aware of and it makes it highly diverse. I have no problem with that, I just think everyone should follow the law.

That is really interesting. I did not realize that Bowling Green is a refuge city and is highly diverse. That is really neat and great to hear! I will have to visit Bowling Green sometime and check it out, for fun. I could not agree with you more, those that are illegal should become legal.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:08 PM

[quote=Kentuckyguy;3698069]
Quote:

Bowling Green is an international refuge city which most are not aware of and it makes it highly diverse. I have no problem with that, I just think everyone should follow the law.

That is really interesting. I did not realize that Bowling Green is a refuge city and is highly diverse. That is really neat and great to hear! I will have to visit Bowling Green sometime and check it out, for fun. I could not agree with you more, those that are illegal should become legal.
We have an international festival every fall that you would probably enjoy. There are all sorts of booths and ethnic food vendors. Various dance groups perform and that is really interesting. Many of the people are from Bowling Green and there are also groups that come in from bigger cities. Here is a link about the international refuge center located here:

Bowling Green International Center

We also have a fairly large Asian, Bosnian, and middle eastern population.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:57 PM

[quote=dixiegirl7;3698351]
Quote:

We have an international festival every fall that you would probably enjoy. There are all sorts of booths and ethnic food vendors. Various dance groups perform and that is really interesting. Many of the people are from Bowling Green and there are also groups that come in from bigger cities. Here is a link about the international refuge center located here:

Bowling Green International Center

We also have a fairly large Asian, Bosnian, and middle eastern population.
Wow! Thank you so much dixiegirl, for all that great information!!! We will definately have to check Bowling Green out. My wife is from Southeast Asia so she would really enjoy the Asian population there and also the fall festival. I can't wait to tell my wife as she will definately want to visit and participate in the festivities! Thank you also for the link. Be blessed and thank you again so much!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 PM

11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
I was not trying to offend by any means. My point in posting what I did was to say that what some people were saying on this thread was way out of line. If I were an Hispanic or another minority for that matter reading these posts I believe I would be deeply offended by some of the things that were being said. My point again was to say that, not all immigrants are illegals and the fact we need to be careful not to judge people that migrate to Kentucky or any other state for that matter. Also, my point was to say that insted of complaining about illegals/legals why not help them, possibly on the path to citizenship.
Of what has been posted, is some of it out of line or not? I really think that some of it was! I just think we need to be more considerate of what we are posting and consider our audience. Again, I did not mean to offend. I should have possibly been more considerate myself when posting about the "job" thing. That has just been my experience and what I have witnessed firsthand as I have many friends that are immigrants.
I understand that you weren't trying to offend, and I appreciate your explanation (I really do). Just remember that two wrongs don't make a right; replacing one stereotype ("All Hispanics are here illegally") with another ("Americans are too lazy to do menial jobs") is irresponsible. But you did a good job at explaining yourself.

For the record, I don't believe anyone here has said they don't like Hispanics at all. They only said it's the illegal immigrants who are causing problems. And I agree. Since I'm a 2nd generation American, I certainly understand the magic of immigrating to the US, but I also understand that it should be done correctly.

I'm sad that there seems to be a problem with illegal immigration in areas of Kentucky.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 PM

[quote=Kentuckyguy;3698856]
Quote:

Wow! Thank you so much dixiegirl, for all that great information!!! We will definately have to check Bowling Green out. My wife is from Southeast Asia so she would really enjoy the Asian population there and also the fall festival. I can't wait to tell my wife as she will definately want to visit and participate in the festivities! Thank you also for the link. Be blessed and thank you again so much!

Glad you found it interesting. Your wife would love it here and you both will enjoy the international festival. When I hear the dates, I will post them here. It is usually in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or