Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:45 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Hmmm, actually it's northerners moving here. A lot of people from Ohio have moved to Boone County as well as the Lexington area. Of course there are illegal aliens but there's not that many here I doubt. We are kind of far from the border. There's quite a few Hispanic workers on various farms around the state though.
I am sure there is no way to get an accurate count of the hispanic population since so many are illegal, but we do have a large hispanic population in Bowling Green. We must be different from the rest of the state since so many of you don't think very many hispanics live here. One whole section of our city is hispanic. There are little Mexican resturants and churches all over that area of town. If you go to Walmart on the weekend, you hear more Spanish than English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 06:05 AM

42 posts, read 116,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Go to Mayfield. You had better bring your pocket translator with you. I wonder if I move to Russia, will they accomodate every single one of my needs and print English on all of their goods?
No...but if you and tens of millions of your friends moved with you...yeah, probably.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Russia would find a way to stop --tens of millions-- of people from entering their country illegally .

Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Mayfield isnt the only place filling up with Mexicans. Sebree is now called "Little Mexico". The bad thing about is that the reputation of several stick on some that aren't bad. A friend of mine talked to some who are here to seriously make an honest living. They are learning English, shopping at the regular stores, not the ones opening up all Mexican, etc.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
3 KY counties are in the top 100 fastest growing in the nation: Boone, Spencer and Scott. This is kind of old news but some may not know.

100 fastest growing counties - Mar. 16, 2006

Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I dunno, I am starting to see more and more of them all the time. Last time we went to the Shelbyville flea market in Simpsonville the whole thing seemed to be aimed at the Hispanic population.
Shelby County has the largest Hispanic population (percent wise) in KY

http://ksdc.louisville.edu/sdc/maps/...t_hispanic.pdf

Old 05-06-2008, 10:04 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Shelby County has the largest Hispanic population (percent wise) in KY

http://ksdc.louisville.edu/sdc/maps/...t_hispanic.pdf

This was taken from the 2000 Census so I am sure it has changed quite a bit since then.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:34 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
This was taken from the 2000 Census so I am sure it has changed quite a bit since then.
I am curious to see how much.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 PM

137 posts, read 448,403 times
[quote=dixiegirl7;3658260]I am sure there is no way to get an accurate count of the hispanic population since so many are illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Go to Mayfield. You had better bring your pocket translator with you. I wonder if I move to Russia, will they accomodate every single one of my needs and print English on all of their goods? This country has bent over TOO FAR backwards. But that is another topic for another day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Just curious how much of this growth is caused by the illegal aliens in KY.?
With all do respect, I think y'all are being a little on the racist side.

First of all, you can't just assume that all the Hispanics here are illegal because you may know a few that are or for all you know, "may be." Are, there "so many illegals" or is that just what you think?

Second, diversity is not necessarily a bad thing ya know? It can actually help our economy! Yes, in order for them to help our economy the ones that are actually illegal need to become legal.

Third, do you have any idea how much it costs for them to become legal in most cases? I will tell you. It costs about $2,000-$2,500 for each immigrant for the processing fees for their immigration papers and the physical examination!!! I don't know about you, but I don't have that kind of money in my back pocket. Imagine trying to pay for each family member in your family. How much would that cost? $10,000 maybe? More?

Fourth, they will do the jobs we won't do. You may disagree, but you know it is true. And in some cases they work harder we do.

Before you go pointing the figure and judging people, especially assuming that they are all, "illegals" I would say, look at life from their point of view. Do you know what their living conditions were like before they came to the states? I don't know. Most likely, they were not the fine living conditions we experience here in the states. Would y'all not come if you could have a better life than you have ever had in your home country? Most likely, you probably would come here too. Being married to an immigrant I can tell you that not all immigrants are illegals. My point is, the next time you come across another immigrant, don't just assume they are illegals and don't judge them! You have no right. After all, weren't our white ancestors immigrants from Europe? Oh yes, they were. If y'all are so concerned about the supposed illegals or the individuals you think are, why not help them insted of judging them!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:38 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
Fourth, they will do the jobs we won't do. You may disagree, but you know it is true. And in some cases they work harder we do.
Wait a minute, isn't that being racist, too?

The notion that Americans won't do certain jobs, whether it's in Kentucky or in Tennessee, is not only offensive but it is outrageously untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky