U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:53 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times

Advertisements

It is pretty silly about all the 'studies' the transportation department has to do, has if cable barriers were just invented yesterday.

In Louisville they left a 1/4 of a mile GAP w/o barriers on a major curve on I-64 (in the middle of the Grinstead Drive exit)- talk about stupid!

In the meantime they could not mow the grass in all interstate medians - 3 feet of grass would at least slow a car down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 PM

52 posts, read 117,867 times
Default joiners

Thanks missy for joining the Barriers Now.
And thanks to all others who have joined and will.
The real power is in numbers.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:11 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,553,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lawson View Post
Thanks missy for joining the Barriers Now.
And thanks to all others who have joined and will.
The real power is in numbers.
You're welcome hun.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 PM

285 posts, read 792,194 times
What is the speed limit on I-65? What is the major cause of the crossover. I'm just wondering since I never thought to ask what the highway speed limit is. Our freeway and long stretches is 75 mph. Many of our big accidents are sleeping at the wheel usually big rigs, speed and under the influence. We have cement barriers on the freeways. Dave I'm so sorry the state can't get it together to get this done to prevent innocent loss of lives. My prayers are with you and your family.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
What is the speed limit on I-65? What is the major cause of the crossover. I'm just wondering since I never thought to ask what the highway speed limit is. Our freeway and long stretches is 75 mph. Many of our big accidents are sleeping at the wheel usually big rigs, speed and under the influence. We have cement barriers on the freeways. Dave I'm so sorry the state can't get it together to get this done to prevent innocent loss of lives. My prayers are with you and your family.
Thank you, shilo.

As far as speed, our limit is only 70. Of course, no one goes that slow. The 4 wheelers cause most of the accidents in this state and the big rigs get blamed. ( no, I am not a truck driver, just a truth teller )
Your state tried the cable barriers at one time. The problem was that they went with the 2-wire cable system. That has since proven to be ineffective at even moderate speeds.
The 3-wire system works at highway speeds. Louisville has had them for only a few years and the cables have prevented nearly 300 cross-over accidents.
The biggest cause of cross-overs in this state seems to be speed coupled with stone-aged road construction and weather conditions. In the case of the last 2 fatal wrecks, the vehicle that crossed over was doing 80 or more, it was raining and water was pooling, and the road slanted slightly toward the median. It was a perfect recipe for disaster.

Out of the last 3 fatal accidents (03/04/2008, 03/19/2008, 05/03/2008), my daughter has been the only survivor. I lost 2 of my family but have my little miracle, her remaining sis and her brother. 10 other people have died in only 2 months, with many more injured. But we should rest assured because the government is "studying" it.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:41 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Dave, do you have any numbers for how many WKU students have been killed on I-65 in the past 10 years?

Separately, I saw this article in BG news about widening I-65 from Mammoth Cave to E-town

Old 05-08-2008, 04:27 PM

Default numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Dave, do you have any numbers for how many WKU students have been killed on I-65 in the past 10 years?

Separately, I saw this article in BG news about widening I-65 from Mammoth Cave to E-town
What got me into this was the sheer numbers of people killed in such a short time frame, and so many people asking "why doesn't somebody do something?". It didn't matter to me where the deceased were from.

Unless someone has the time to go thru archives for 3 different KSP posts, 10 different newspapers and at least a dozen TV stations, it would be impossible to discover how many were WKU students, if it is indeed possible to do so. Some of the TV and newspaper archives are only available on a paid basis. I don't have the time or money to do it. Right now I help run the web site, spread the word personally, and thru TV and newspapers; And contact all 100 representatives, 37 senators, the governor, 5 members of the transportion cabinet, and local officials in what has now become 5 or counties. I have also invested much of my monetary resources in this fight.

Your first question on another thread was, "why doesn't somebody do something about it?" That was the question my family, our freinds, and I heard echoed from many people who could have and should have already done something. Somebody told us that it took a spokesperson who had suffered a personal loss. So here we are!
Some of the questions being asked here have answers at www.BarriersNow.com . Join, please. If you see something that hasn't been researched yet, help us find it and verify it. Too much of the information we have found can not be backed up. Send it to me, an administrator, a moderator, or the webmaster. Your help could make a big difference.

What BG news article or broadcast are you referring to?
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
I-65 accidents and what to do-04_02_0.jpeg  

Last edited by Dave Lawson; 05-08-2008 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 07:04 PM

Well Dave I will sign up when I move down there. But I'm hoping this will be addressed by 2009. Just a thought can you put up big white crosses for each person at each location so with the hope people will see and slow down??? Or signs with pics of the accidents and numbers? At least till KY gets on the band wagon.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM

Default crosses and signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
Well Dave I will sign up when I move down there. But I'm hoping this will be addressed by 2009. Just a thought can you put up big white crosses for each person at each location so with the hope people will see and slow down??? Or signs with pics of the accidents and numbers? At least till KY gets on the band wagon.
shilo, when I told you to "sign up", I was suggesting that you join before you get here to help make changes Now. Good luck when you get here.
As for big white crosses or signs with pics and numbers: I'd love to do it. Will you come help? Will you buy half of them? Seriously, if you read my response to censusdata, you'll see that i have very little free time to erect the signs. Money for the signs, and crosses? I have yet to collect a penny from the life insurance, the accident insurance, or the multiple law-suits. It took a month for the accident report and death certificates. My remaining kids and I haven't even had time or money to erect something for our own 2 family members.
The webmaster is working on an intro series for our 30 day old site that will include a map of I-65 with markers or crosses or pointers that will link to names, dates, etc.
It has only been 50 days since my wife, daughter, and 3 others were killed. We cannot not get it all done over night. I personally feel we've done a lot in those 50 days. At least the government is listening to us!!!!!!!!!

I hope I haven't insulted you. I only want to pointedly state that we are trying to do something . We may not be doing the best, and we know we aren't perfect. We just know that everyone in the beginning said "somebody should do something."

Old 05-08-2008, 11:16 PM

No Dave I'm not insulted. I was just putting out suggestions to you and others to help. I know you are doing something. Plus with many other things going on and dealing with everything.

Folks on this board if there is anything you can do please help Dave spread the word. Radio and papers should publish his web site just to help. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or