U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM

285 posts, read 792,645 times

Advertisements

In London here is ours.
Highways ~ Construction Projects (http://www.dot.state.az.us/Highways/Active_Projects.asp - broken link)
In looking at yours I wonder what you think of ours vs yours. The one thing I see that is way different between KY and AZ we have a handful of counties while you have 122. Which means more people to deal with on implementing improvements and new work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:08 PM

52 posts, read 117,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Kentucky has Kentucky Dept. of Transportation..... Kentucky Transportation Cabinet - Welcome (http://www.transportation.ky.gov/default2.html - broken link)
Shilo missed that on the website. I guess we need to make it clearer.
There is a link to the folks there.
Even tho we have a dept' of transportation and a transportation cabinet, the job is only getting done where there are people with money or the potential for money : Louisville, Lexington and the like.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM

285 posts, read 792,645 times
What I'm hearing from other posts is that KY is seeing growth in areas that were somewhat small. Our state has had to build many freeways and highways and streets because of our growth. I wish your DOT would talk with ours and see how to improve their process in KY. We even have ADOT Doug come on our radio station 99.9 FM KESZ. So people can call and express concerns, recomendation and failures. Also as a side our Gov. comes on once a month for callers to call in with issues. It's awesome. Maybe KY has this already but if not they might talk to other states in making there DOT system better. Also ours doesn't have a whole lot of politicians involved. Which we know slows everything almost to a halt or to get things done.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:46 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,396,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
In London here is ours.
Highways ~ Construction Projects (http://www.dot.state.az.us/Highways/Active_Projects.asp - broken link)
In looking at yours I wonder what you think of ours vs yours. The one thing I see that is way different between KY and AZ we have a handful of counties while you have 122. Which means more people to deal with on implementing improvements and new work.
KY actually has 120 counties. Just thought I'd let you know.

AZ is having major growth so their dept of transportation is probably super busy. I'm not sure how they can handle the growth actually. Since 2000 Arizona's population has increased by 1.2 million people!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:56 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,396,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
What I'm hearing from other posts is that KY is seeing growth in areas that were somewhat small. Our state has had to build many freeways and highways and streets because of our growth. I wish your DOT would talk with ours and see how to improve their process in KY. We even have ADOT Doug come on our radio station 99.9 FM KESZ. So people can call and express concerns, recomendation and failures. Also as a side our Gov. comes on once a month for callers to call in with issues. It's awesome. Maybe KY has this already but if not they might talk to other states in making there DOT system better. Also ours doesn't have a whole lot of politicians involved. Which we know slows everything almost to a halt or to get things done.
What is it exactly that KY Dept of transportation needs to improve?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:33 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,905,824 times
As a temporary measure: install cable barriers along the length of I-65 in the entire state, except for the "concrete-barrier" areas in Bowling Green and Louisville.

For that matter, install the barriers along our busiest portions I-24, I-64, I-71, and I-75, as well as the Gene Snyder Freeway, I-275, I-471, the eastern end of the Watterson Expressway, and New Circle Road.

A lot of mileage and a lot of road, but all things considered: every single road above covers just under 750 miles in the state. Assume $200,000 per mile x 250 miles to cover these "busiest" parts that don't already have concrete medians, and this will be a $50 million investment. Expensive, yes, but a good course of safety for our state to take until they opt for my preferred option: widen these roads to six or more lanes in their busiest parts.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
jcm198: As a temporary measure: install cable barriers along the length of I-65 in the entire state, except for the "concrete-barrier" areas in Bowling Green and Louisville.
Lets concentrate on the worst sections first, from mm 48 to mm 74. Thats actually THE busiest portion of any interstate highway in Ky. $4 million will cover the parts of those miles that have no natural or artificial barrier.

Quote:

InLondonQuote:

What is it exactly that KY Dept of transportation needs to improve?
OMG.... where do I start? How about prioritizing? Over $40 mill spent so far on research for I-66. Where is I-66? What does it do?
How many millions have we spent to plan 2 new bridges in Louisville? They may save time (if Indiana will build the connecting roads ..... BIG if) but will they save lives?
Do we need another $20 mill to extend a 2 lane highway in Hardin county because it is named after the secretary of transportation? Yep, "Joe Prather Highway" aka S.R. 313.

Lets concentrate on the deadliest stretches of highway, at least provide a temporary fix, quit stalling for "6 lanes" and save a life or two.

The last stats I could find that Kentucky posted on their own transportation website say that as of 2005, one life lost has an economic impact (on Kentucky) of almost $1.2 mill. The March 19th accident took 5 lives. $6 mill?
30 miles of barriers!!!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Default BarriersNow

I've spent the last few hours revamping the website Barriers Now - Powered by vBulletin .
There are several new sections and sub-forums for people from Ky and elsewhere.

Maybe we could move this whole conversation over there.
I wish I could copy each and every post to our site. Ya'll have been helpful, informative, and stimulating.

Please, join the site , move this conversation there, and help us do something. Even if we can't do the right thing, at least we should try.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 PM

Default What's it take?

I guess the May 3rd losses of life weren't enough to keep interest going in the Barriers for I-65. Maybe I AM wasting my time.
I will, however, keep trying and keep asking everyone to join the fight. Our state government MUST do something about the most dangerous piece of highway in Kentucky. They cannot ignore even one voice forever.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:36 AM

Default Louisville, 05/23/2008

WDRB FOX 41
Metro police say a cable barrier likely kept five elderly women from suffering even more serious injuries when their church van tumbled in rush hour Friday afternoon.

It happened just before 5:30 Friday evening along the Gene Snyder Freeway between Taylorsville Road and Interstate 64.

At last word doctors were treating those five people at University Hospital. Police say their injuries are not life threatening.

The church van had just stopped its rolling when Chris McNulty drove upon it.

"We were able to get the back door open and pull two people out," said McNulty.

The van carried five women, all members of the Southern Jefferson Christian Church in Valley Station. A church secretary said they were headed south and returning home from a patriotic rally out of town. They were in the midst of heavy rush hour and heavy holiday weekend traffic.

"It appears it ahd a tire that blew out, the driver lost control and the van rolled over three or four times," said Detective Phil Russell with LMPD.

The van crossed the median, where police say one of those recently-installed cable barriers worked. "We at least know it stopped it from rolling any further," said Russell.
Police said oncoming drivers were able to stop without hitting the van. Chris McNulty was one of them. He and several others helped the driver and the others hurt as best they could.

Family and church members rushed to the hospital to help the women. Police have not released their names. Witnesses described them as perhaps in their sixties or older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or