Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:06 AM

103 posts, read 447,092 times

Advertisements

I saw the 6' or so high cement barriers in Canada years ago and wondered why the US didn't use more of them. One drawback to them, i found out in Montreal, was on curves you can't see what's going on around the bend. That can be detrimental to the health also. Maybe a combination of the 3 wire and the cement ones would work. From Bowling Green south to the Tn. line they are widening the road and putting in the cement barriers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 06:41 PM

52 posts, read 133,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMarketSlave View Post
I saw the 6' or so high cement barriers in Canada years ago and wondered why the US didn't use more of them. One drawback to them, i found out in Montreal, was on curves you can't see what's going on around the bend. .
6' !!!! No wonder you can't see. That's taller than a lot of people and unnecessary. According to six different state studies I've seen, 3' to 3.5' will stop a semi.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMarketSlave View Post
they are widening the road and putting in the cement barriers.
Who is?
All of the newspapers and TV stations, I have seen say things such as : "they are planning ..." , " they are thinking .... ", " they don't have the funds to ....", "they are studying ... " , ad nauseum.
In each case the "they" refers to an arm or branch of the Kentucky goverment, and I truly believe it is "lip service".
After researching this, I have found that they have played the same tune thru 3 governors so far. The projected date for action is always 2 years from now (insert any date).
Give me a firm start date. Show me concrete trucks, or cable trucks, construction signs, and a workman or 3.

In memory of this year's ten:

05/03/2008, Mile marker 119
60-year-old James C. Henson III from Hoover, Alabama and 23-year-old Jesse Keeling of Louisville,

03/19/2008, Mile marker 61
A family from Auburn – David H. McGrath, 49; his wife, Madeline K. McGrath, 52; and their daughter, Megan S. McGrath, 15 – and a mother and daughter from Elizabethtown – Myra Lawson, 51; and Cassandra Lawson, 22

03/04/2008, Mile marker 74
Amparo Zamora, 41, of Indianapolis, and two passengers, Henry Araneiba, 19, and Lea E. Osorio, 15, both of Indianapolis, were all killed in the collision

Last edited by Dave Lawson; 05-10-2008 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 05-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Default Join

As an administrator of our web site, I have the express priveledge of being able to identify new members. I have noticed 3 new members that I believe to be from this site.
Thank you.
Every member on our site, Barriers Now - Powered by vBulletin , is another number that this government cannot ignore.
I have been asked to talk to the transportation commitees of both the house and senate and could use some more factual information to help.
Who built Louisville's barriers?
how much did they cost per mile?
were they ever maintained before the 287th hit went thru?
can anybody actually decypher the budget?
How much are we spending for I-66, the eastern Louisville bridge, Ky rte 313 (ironically : Joe Prather Highway), widenning US 31W in and around Radcliff, horse parks in Knott county, etc.
Post it here or on our site if you can find answers for us.
Dave

Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM

From Bowling green south to the Tn. border(at least) on I65, the road is being widened to 4 lane on each side with the cement median down the center. I'm thinking as they redo I65 over the coming years the barriers will be used from seeing what they are doing down here. As far as them going through and just adding the barrier, i doubt they will for some reason, but they should. It would be nice if they did something on 2 lane roads like 31w, too. It's like stop lights, they won't put them in until after a BUNCH of people are killed.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:55 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me freemarket.
It's funny that the people in power are fixing that stretch of highway when the most fatalities for the last 5 years have happened between mile 48 and 74.
Good old boys must have a friend somwhere.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Your in Etown? That Etown hill on I65 used to scare me before they redid it in the 80's. That wasn't a good stretch of road, either. Sorry about your loss, and all the other losses, too. The way gas is going, everyone will be driving small cars which will really add to fatalities also. I really just don't know what to think.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,863 times
I have also seen the articles claiming that they are considering barriers on I-65. However I won't believe it until I see the construction underway. The barriers should have already been there, then my mom and my sister would still be here. I wonder how many "delays" they will run into before they can actually start it?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:40 AM

285 posts, read 901,971 times
In seeing how this is getting addressed I see a big change that should be made by your Gov. in AZ we have ADOT (Ariz Dept of Transportation). There job is to see our roads are maintain/sched the maint./do analysis of problem areas and implement the fix/deal with city expansion road work. It looks like you goverment should talk to states that have this type of set up and then set up one for Kentucky. You might want to get a petition going. The way KY is doing it will take forever as you all probably see. Just a FYI

Old 05-13-2008, 12:55 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
In seeing how this is getting addressed I see a big change that should be made by your Gov. in AZ we have ADOT (Ariz Dept of Transportation). There job is to see our roads are maintain/sched the maint./do analysis of problem areas and implement the fix/deal with city expansion road work. It looks like you goverment should talk to states that have this type of set up and then set up one for Kentucky. You might want to get a petition going. The way KY is doing it will take forever as you all probably see. Just a FYI
Kentucky has Kentucky Dept. of Transportation..... Kentucky Transportation Cabinet - Welcome (http://www.transportation.ky.gov/default2.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky