Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 PM

246 posts, read 1,056,937 times

Advertisements

to Watchmanonthewall: How ya doin' ,bud? Its been years since I last went to Muhlenberg County, but I'm confident that it still sucks. Congrats on your escape. By the way, are or were you a C/O at GRCC/KSP/WKCC? Your screen name intrigues me, a former LLCC C/O. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 03:50 AM

14 posts, read 59,739 times
Is Paradise related to a coal plant that environmentalists keep blocking? There is one that wants to go in Central City. Strip mining and an electrical power plant.

My mom is in her 70's now but she lived in Luzerne in her teens. Occasionally she used to visit some family and friends over the years. She said she can still remember one relative say something like, "I wouldn't want to die a Catholic."

That must verify the one poster that stated it is a strong Baptist area. C'mon now, really. Most of us our Christians, right?! There is good and bad in anything.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:58 PM

180 posts, read 596,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake92839 View Post
Is Paradise related to a coal plant that environmentalists keep blocking? There is one that wants to go in Central City. Strip mining and an electrical power plant.

My mom is in her 70's now but she lived in Luzerne in her teens. Occasionally she used to visit some family and friends over the years. She said she can still remember one relative say something like, "I wouldn't want to die a Catholic."

That must verify the one poster that stated it is a strong Baptist area. C'mon now, really. Most of us our Christians, right?! There is good and bad in anything.
Well, Paradise is the TVA power plant located just outside of Drakesboro, KY. Paradise was a town that resided on the banks of the Green River where the TVA plant is now located. Well, the plant itself is just a little due south of the old town itself. The town is gone thanks to the P & M Coal Company.

Peabody Energy is trying very hard to build a new power plant in Central City called Thoroughbred Energy Campus. We'll see how that goes, but so far it's not been good. Too many county leaders still stake their hope, and future, on coal and the disillusioned idea that it will revive this once great part of Kentucky. They need to move on and expand their horizions, but alas, it may be too late.

I lived over 20 years of my life in Central City, my family is from there, I am from there, and I still go back frequently. I love it, even if it's backwoods and redneck. It's my home and I certainly wouldn't trade it for anything. Some of the best people you'll ever meet are in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. You can book it.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,957 times
Steve,
I'm not sure where you're coming from, buddy, but to come here at such a random time so spontaneously, I really hope you and your family don't have to worry about working ever again. If you are planning to find work when you get here, good luck, buddy. As stated above from someone else, if you don't have the right last name or "know" the right person, you are NOT going to find a good job. The only decent job here is TVA, which is in Drakesboro, right next to Greenville, good luck getting a job there. Unless, of course, you wouldn't mind hauling coal up and down the road, which there again, I hope your last name is Jones or know someone with that last name. I am having to drive 30 minutes to work everyday to Madisonville, KY for a decent job, but as soon as I find something in Owensboro, my wife and I will be moving there. I guess this is an o.k. place to raise children, it's very boring and limited as far as entertainment, which is probably why Muhlenberg county has been deemed the #1 meth county in the world, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING TO DO!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it, buddy, Owensboro or Bowling Green would be much better choices as far as opportunity and a positive environment.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,957 times
Steve,
I'm not sure where you're coming from, buddy, but to come here at such a random time so spontaneously, I really hope you and your family don't have to worry about working ever again. If you are planning to find work when you get here, good luck, buddy. As stated above from someone else, if you don't have the right last name or "know" the right person, you are NOT going to find a good job. The only decent job here is TVA, which is in Drakesboro, right next to Greenville, good luck getting a job there. Unless, of course, you wouldn't mind hauling coal up and down the road, which there again, I hope your last name is Jones or know someone with that last name. I am having to drive 30 minutes to work everyday to Madisonville, KY for a decent job, but as soon as I find something in Owensboro, my wife and I will be moving there. I guess this is an o.k. place to raise children, it's very boring and limited as far as entertainment, which is probably why Muhlenberg county has been deemed the #1 meth county in the world, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING TO DO!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it, buddy, Owensboro or Bowling Green would be much better choices as far as opportunity and a positive environment.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 10,737 times
Default Greenville

Greenville is a Place where Southern Hospitality and comfort greets you Warm cookies made fresh daily and available to our guests upon check-in A cozy lobby with an inviting fireplace to nestle by in the winter Complimentary Deluxe Breakfast Local Newspaper Clean rooms, Great value and a staff dedicated to guest satisfaction Free Wireless High Speed Internet access Guest Laundry Huddle House within walking distance, discounts available with stay.
--------------------
altheakim

Kentucky Treatment Centers

Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 AM

22 posts, read 80,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised in Muhlenberg View Post
I would be interested in knowing what part of the educational ratings website listed above is indicative of Muhlenberg County's "great schools". 13 years of experience within Muhlenberg's system proved very different for me, and from what I have heard, the schools' scores have gone down significantly since I lived there. My first year of college was spent trying to make up for the abysmal preparation I received there. There is a reason why the illustrious county seat of Greenville only boasts a 12.9% rate of college degree holders.

The most informative look into the Muhlenberg worldview cited thus far was Dan's comment about Sunday Baptists. If you would like for you and your family to be judged by uneducated verse-slingers, Muhlenberg would be an optimal place to raise your children. While the meth exposure and schools might make it difficult for them to form a coherent thought, they will be inculcated with good Southern values like hate, ignorance, hypocrisy, and prejudice.
Actually the schools in the county are not as bad as you may think and they may have improved since you have been there. Muhlenberg County is the 23th top district out of 155 districts in the state and if you exclude the independent schools, then Muhlenberg is the 9th top county out of Kentucky's 120 counties. It seems that southern Muhlenberg have higher ranked schools than the northern part of the county.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,167 times
The schools in Muhlenberg Co. are in shambles at the moment. Our poor students have scored so low on their tests the state has stepped in.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:18 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Steve and Stacy, isn't it great having the Welcome Wagon try to run you over like this? lol

Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmstearns View Post
I read an awful lot of anger and bitterness in your posting. I am truly sorry that you had such a bad experience. If you think people treat you poorly in Kentucky, then for pete's sake don't go to N.Y.C. I got spit on there for simply walking down the street. Unfortunately, the lesser traits you attribute to good Southern values are everywhere in a few sad people.

Education at times, is what you make of it. Is it possible that you didn't apply yourself as much as you could have? Not making a judgement, just
asking. I hope your future gets brighter and happier. Truly.
You have NO idea. It's not if you do or do not apply yourself, it's just the way things area in that area. Schools do NOT prepare children in that area to work for NASA, they prepare them to work in the tobacco fields and coal mines and factories and that's it.

I know I grew up there too. He's not bitter, he's truthful.

And when he means poor treatment, you will never fit in there. Maybe your grandkids will eventually, but you will never be from there. You will always be the newcomer. It's just how it is. What was also meant by that, you will have a hard time fitting in, since you will be cold shouldered and blackballed.

In fact, no offense to your experiences, but down home poor treatment is MUCH worse than NYC poor treatment. In nyc you get spit on, and you reply with a big fat F U, and it's over. Down home, well......it's not that easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky