Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 18,317 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...

I hope there is someone out there who currently resides in Greenville, Kentucky (or knows someone). My wife and two children plan to relocate to this particular area within a couple of months. It is our understanding that the small town would be ideal to raise our children.

Since it has been difficult finding information, we hope someone will be kind enough to possibly put us in touch with a few landlords with available rentals in Greenville. For the moment, we want to rent with option to buy. Would it be difficult to find a 4-bedroom (2 bath) home with a 2 car garage?

Thank you for your time and consideration. We look forward to your reply.

Kindest Regards,

Steve & Stacy Plessinger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 10:20 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
I grew up in Madisonville, Kentucky (1965-1984) and my parent still live there now. I have been along the former Western Kentucky Parkway numerous times...and there are businesses and even a Wal-Mart in Central City at the that exit north of Greenville. Greenville is the county seat but I have not been there. Muhlenburg county H.S schools (North and South) competed with Hopkins/Madisonville schools. As the area there was a post by someone else on another topic in the Kentucky forum about Greenville which summed it up good.

Muhlenburg County:County Population: 31,839
County Houses: 13,675
Land area: 474.7 sq. mi.
Water area: 4.7 sq. mi.
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (20.0%), Manufacturing (18.6%), Retail trade (13.3%).
Type of workers:
Private wage or salary: 75%
Government: 17%
Self-employed, not incorporated: 8%
Muhlenburg County is a county with two central cities. The largest city pop about 5,200 is Central City which has a Wal-MArt and a busness district in it. The county city of Greenville Pop 4,300 a good city with a very beautiful downtown area. Both cities have sounthern values religion and church are very important and UK basketball and football and king esp Basketball. The area was once a coal mining town a few things happened the enviromental people didn't like Coal;s poulation and air pollution can;t spell sorry about that so most of the strip mining was outlawed Muhlenburg county is suffering but there are good factories, energy plants, and Lake Malone, plus friendy busnessess which are helping Muhlenburg County gain ground. In the smaller communites like powdery or drakesboro it will take a long time to get accepted but if your patient and have good southern values it should work well. Muhlenburg County is close to Owensburo, Hopkinsville, Bowling Green, and Madisonville depending on what part of the county you are in you are at least within 35 miles of these towns.

I agree with the his points above. When I grew up....the three things of most important was God, family and UK basketball. UK fans there are fanatics about it and high school sports and UK basketball are huge there and throughout rural Kentucky. People are southern, open to ya, but at the same time, You will be an outsider, accepted but never "from" there.

As for rentals and homes, may be very slim pickens. I would contact a realtor who works in the area. Rentals of what you describe will be few and far between I would think, but you might get lucky. Just not enough population, and new people moving in and people leaving to get that much turnover. Its a fine place, quiet, slow paced of life, and you can travel well to different larger cities for more shopping, movies, etc. Oh...Muhlenberg county is a dry county, so any alcohol will need to be bought elsewhere. And baptists and religion in general are important on Sunday's.

Dan

Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,396 times
I agree with the comment about local rentals. Not too much available, but your best bet would be to contact a local realtor. Top Realtors are:

Moderator cut: no realtor info please

I have lived in Muhlenberg County all my life and in Greenville for many years. Beautiful town with lots of "beautiful" people. I do not agree with the comment about the smaller communities such as Powderly and Drakesboro. Both towns, as well as other small towns, are filled with friendly folks.

Great schools in the county. If you want details cut and paste the URL

http://www.greatschools.net/schools....ct=75&state=KY

Last edited by Marka; 01-12-2007 at 01:32 AM..

Old 04-27-2007, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,235 times
Default Greenville Ky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_bound View Post
Hello everyone...

I hope there is someone out there who currently resides in Greenville, Kentucky (or knows someone). My wife and two children plan to relocate to this particular area within a couple of months. It is our understanding that the small town would be ideal to raise our children.

Since it has been difficult finding information, we hope someone will be kind enough to possibly put us in touch with a few landlords with available rentals in Greenville. For the moment, we want to rent with option to buy. Would it be difficult to find a 4-bedroom (2 bath) home with a 2 car garage?

Thank you for your time and consideration. We look forward to your reply.

Kindest Regards,

Steve & Stacy Plessinger

YOU ARE CORRECT GREENVILLE IS A BEAUTIFUL, QUIET AND COMFORTABLE CITY. HOWEVER DO NOT COME HERE LOOKING FOR WORK! MUHLENBURG COUNTY HAS ONE OF THE HIGHEST RATES OF UNEMPLOYMENT IN THE US. MOST PEOPLE HERE HAVE TO DRIVE MANY, MANY MILES TO FIND WORK. THERE IS WORK HERE BUT YOU PRETTY MUCH HAVE TO BE BORN AND RAISED HERE TO GET IT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO KNOW PEOPLE TO PULL STRINGS TO GET YOU IN SOMEWHERE. THE OLD TIMERS THAT LIVE HERE ARE TOO SET IN THEIR WAYS TO ALLOW THE COMMUNITY TO GROW.
IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A STEADY INCOME OR A CAREER LINED UP I RECOMMEND YOU FOLLOW THROUGH WITH YOUR MOVE GREENVILLE IS A WONDERFUL PLACE TO BRING UP KIDS. I JUST WANTED TO WARN YOU OF THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION HERE.

GOOD LUCK!
JEN

Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 13,956 times
I would be interested in knowing what part of the educational ratings website listed above is indicative of Muhlenberg County's "great schools". 13 years of experience within Muhlenberg's system proved very different for me, and from what I have heard, the schools' scores have gone down significantly since I lived there. My first year of college was spent trying to make up for the abysmal preparation I received there. There is a reason why the illustrious county seat of Greenville only boasts a 12.9% rate of college degree holders.

The most informative look into the Muhlenberg worldview cited thus far was Dan's comment about Sunday Baptists. If you would like for you and your family to be judged by uneducated verse-slingers, Muhlenberg would be an optimal place to raise your children. While the meth exposure and schools might make it difficult for them to form a coherent thought, they will be inculcated with good Southern values like hate, ignorance, hypocrisy, and prejudice.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 14,982 times
I read an awful lot of anger and bitterness in your posting. I am truly sorry that you had such a bad experience. I am from the North, Ohio to be exact and I've lived in many places, such as Chicago, New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia as well. I intend to move to Kentucky to the Lake Malone area and I have to say, that all but just one of the people that I have met, have been kind and giving. It was one of the the things that impressed me enough to buy property there. If you think people treat you poorly in Kentucky, then for pete's sake don't go to N.Y.C. I got spit on there for simply walking down the street. Unfortunately, the lesser traits you attribute to good Southern values are everywhere in a few sad people.

Education at times, is what you make of it. Is it possible that you didn't apply yourself as much as you could have? Not making a judgement, just
asking. I hope your future gets brighter and happier. Truly.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:46 PM

104 posts, read 417,263 times
I would be interested in knowing why you are moving to Greenville. If you are looking for a place to raise children I would choose Princeton or Cadiz over Greenville. Greenville is coal town. It's very pro union, and republicans are rare. There are some really poor areas near Greenville. Powderly, Drakesboro, Beechmont, and Depoy are not very attractive. It's very dusty with all the coal mines and with the Paradise energy plant. I would rate the air quality poor. There are some great people in the area for sure, but it is what it is, and Greenville is not a place that many people would choose to live if they could live anywhere they wanted. It's small and clannish. Just keep your eyes open and be aware what you're getting into.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,918 times
Default Hater

Get a clue our air quality is not poor And we are not clannish, We are just a community that is banded together. It's called Small town PRIDE. As for the so called poor areas here the're better than most. My husband's family has lived in Greenville for around 90 years. Yes it's small, but not suffocatingly so like some towns.

Last edited by Az turned Ky; 08-28-2007 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 PM

104 posts, read 417,263 times
I've got a clue. I have family in Greenville and lived there myself for three years. You would probably be surprised at some of the people I am related to in the area. I might even be more of an insider than you are. Ky-bound doesn't have to take my word for it, he can simply drive through those places himself and make up his own mind. I would highly suggest Cleaton to start. As far as air quality is concerned, are you willing to state on this forum that Muhlenberg County doesn't have any strip mines or coal trucks? Are you further willing to deny the existence of the Paradise Fossil Fuels plant? Unless a person is in the area up around Bremen or down towards the Todd county line the dust in and around those mines can be terrible. Every time it rains the mixture of coal dust and water makes for a fine paste for a person's car. I suppose you are going to deny that strip mines produce coal dust. As far as the locals being clannish, all I can say is that it's a very small town in which the big money is primarily centered in one way or another around one industry. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together and figure that out. I do appreciate, to a certain degree, your willingness to defend the area where you live. However, when it comes to someone considering a move into a place that they are totally unfamiliar with; they deserve to know the truth as opposed to some local's, (with "small town pride") point of view.Your initial rude response to my previous post, however, did more to exemplify the local attitude than anything I could have ever written. It was pretty typical Muhlenberg County. I'm just surprised you called me "hater" instead of bud. Anyway, thanks for making my point.

Last edited by watchmanonthewall; 08-28-2007 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-02-2007, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 13,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmstearns View Post
I read an awful lot of anger and bitterness in your posting. I am truly sorry that you had such a bad experience. I am from the North, Ohio to be exact and I've lived in many places, such as Chicago, New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia as well. I intend to move to Kentucky to the Lake Malone area and I have to say, that all but just one of the people that I have met, have been kind and giving. It was one of the the things that impressed me enough to buy property there. If you think people treat you poorly in Kentucky, then for pete's sake don't go to N.Y.C. I got spit on there for simply walking down the street. Unfortunately, the lesser traits you attribute to good Southern values are everywhere in a few sad people.

Education at times, is what you make of it. Is it possible that you didn't apply yourself as much as you could have? Not making a judgement, just
asking. I hope your future gets brighter and happier. Truly.
In response to your question, I applied myself in school much more than most, in fact, enough to graduate in the top 3 of my class. The educational issue was not with me, but rather with the system itself. I wouldn't expect you to know about education in Western KY, however, given that Muhlenberg County does not figure among the numerous places you have lived.

I have travelled to all of the cities/states you mention as well as lived in a number of other states, and I can honestly say that the people I encountered in those places were in general less judgmental, exposed to less ignorance, and fortunate enough to have a better educational system. I was never spit on in NYC, Chicago, or NJ; but I was, conversely, amazed by their incredible public transportation systems, art, architecture, history, lack of xenophobia, and limitless opportunities to learn from people of other cultures and traditions.

With respect to the anger you noted, it truly does take a village (to raise a curmudgeon, in my case). I will concede that I am bitter when I think about where I grew up, mainly because I no longer feel like it is home. I suspect everyone would like to be able to hold fond memories of his or her childhood surroundings, but for us non-Baptists who were raised in an area so resistant to progress and free thinking, it is difficult to do so. In happier news, you'll be glad to know that my rancor is normally confined to rare moments such as these when I spend time dwelling on your beloved home-to-be.

In closing, perhaps we can agree to disagree about the merits of small town Western KY. I don't really believe that your or anyone else's posting on a blog will change my opinion that the proverbial grass is greener outside of Greenville. I do, however, appreciate your concern for my future to the full extent of its sincerity. Similarly, I thank you for your premature judgment about my work ethic; it leads me to believe that you will get along very well in Muhlenberg Co.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky