Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 05:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,489 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to buy our first home, and we've found a BEAUTIFUL old building, however it's located in the south west part of Newport. At first look we didn't like the area, but for the price and possibility of the area improving we are thinking of taking the risk.

Does anyone have an opinion of this area (between 8th and 9th a few blocks west of Monmouth)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 21,892 times
Default Newport

Dear USMCbuckeye,

I just showed 5 homes in Newport to out of towners over the weekend (i'm an agent), including one in the area you refer to at 329 W. 9th. Is this the home you saw? Since they were from out of town, they wanted to see a variety of homes by price so they could get a feel for prices and what they could get for their money. The house on 9th offers a lot, but I doubt you will find anyone who would say this area is on its way up or being revitalized.

Generally speaking, the housing inventory west of Mommouth does not lend itself to being revitalized. The basic problem is the original housing stock. Drive around and mostly you'll see so many of the homes are small saltbox homes, cottages, tiny 1 floor ranches or shotgun homes. Even if you restored them to their original condition or fixed them up with new kitchens, carpet, you name it, buyers would never be interested in them because they original floor plans and size are just obsolete. Secondly, very few of the streets on the west side have homes with front yards, even a little strip of grass and very few trees. Contrast this to the housing stock east of Mommouth and Washington where the homes were much larger to begin with and there was much more green as you drive down the street. The pioneering remodelers and rehabbers who go into these areas and start the ball rolling on revitalization look for these features and thus I would say are much more likely to invest in Bellvue before they invest in the west side of Newport for the same reasons. So if you are counting on or expecting this area to be revitalized, I would strongly not agree with your outlook.

We did see another property on the east side listed for 19,000 more that was not as fixed up as the property on 9th but in the long run, would probably make more sense so there are alternatives out there

Well, hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:07 AM

310 posts, read 1,204,580 times
Default Move to Newport

I actually moved from Columbus to Covington several years ago and never regretted it. Love the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. You may want to contact the local police to get a police report of that area. Here's a link to them Newport Police Department Also, here is the phone number(859-292-3622)

Old 04-25-2008, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 17,607 times
Default You will love Newport!

USMC Buckeye,

I am a resident of this area of Newport (Central Avenue) and I have to disagree with northernkentuckyjoe's comments. Some of the oldest and most architecturally significant homes are located west of Monmouth. This area has seen a tremendous revitalization in the past few years and continues to improve. It consistently rivals the East Row (in quantity and dollar amounts) for building permits and housing rehabilitation.

This neighborhood is recognized by the city as having the largest and most active neighborhood group, and efforts to improve the community are being made by the city commissioners and city staff. Some of our goals which we are currently developing plans for are increasing trees and green space in the area, improving bike and pedestrian friendliness and acquiring historic district status for some of our neighborhoods.

My home has a small front yard, but a larger back yard than many in the East Row, as well as a garage. It is a great house, and certainly not the only one in this area with these features. From your post I think you may be referring to York Street, which has some incredible homes and is very safe. If you continue looking, I would recommend York, Columbia, Central and Isabella as some of the streets with the nicest homes.

This is absolutely a neighborhood in transition, and it is a transition upward not downward. I realize that northernkentuckyjoe is trying to help, but this is an outdated perception that is propogated by many real estate agents and certainly does not help the community to attract more quality homeowners into the area.

Is this neighborhood without its problems- no. But in most areas it is perfectly safe, even walking at night or by yourself. Sometimes you will have loud car stereos and loud neighbors. This is part of urban living. The police in Newport are fantastic and will treat these "quality of life" issues with as much seriousness as actual crime. If you were on a bad block (such as 800 Ann), you would have known immediately.

I would urge you to consider this neighborhood. I have lived here for 6 1/2 years and love it. It has only gotten better every year, and my property value has more than doubled. If you have any more questions I would be glad to help out.

Lorelei

Last edited by lorelei_b; 04-25-2008 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add title

Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Default And the West Side of Newport is an excellent value...

I would like to add that your likelihood of finding a great home at an affordable price is much higher on the west side, as is the chance you will see a large increase in value. While the East Row is undoubtedly very nice, it has stabilized past the point where values rise dramatically. Unless you find a great fixer upper (and do the fixing up) you are unlikely to see a change in value much higher than the average appreciation.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 6,958 times
The west side is actually older then the east side but the eastside is nicer.. I enjoyed growing up in newport overall but if you got kids you should do em a favor and pick a better spot.. I've been jumped since I was a kid living here and still have to look over my shoulder for punks.. Come to think of it I don't know anybody who lives under the hill who hasn't been jumped at least once as far as males.. I've had 3 friends shot, 1 paralyzed, and luckily nothing nothing fatal..

Not trying to scare you away but it isn't fair for people to make it out as perfect.. It's not... If I had money to move knowing what I know about the area I'd pick a better spot which I will eventually.. If you really want to live here I'd go with the clifton area which is the hill above 12th st... I'd go with a spot in ft.thomas if you want to be close to the entertainment that the crappier towns offer ...I think when I get enough money up and catch up with bills I'll be heading towards erlanger to be closer to the better paying jobs..

again not to diss on the city..It's tamed down a lot since I was a kid..the cops do a better job than most other places..**** still happens..

Old 04-28-2008, 10:52 AM

Default I still say give Newport a chance...

Of course the east side is nicer, no one is arguing that. I am also not trying to say this neighborhood is perfect- I apologize if it came off that way. However, when you compare it to most "bad" neighborhoods in greater Cincinnati Newport is very low on the risk of danger to random citizens. Furthermore, the east side did not become what it is now overnight or without some early adopters taking a risk in the hope of the neighborhood improving.

Again, I am a transplant here from Kenwood via Northside so I do not have an entire life's worth of experience in the city to draw from. In Northside I was legitimately concerned about getting caught in someone's crossfire. Here in all but a few areas I have very little fear for my safety. We have experienced a small amount of petty crime (pretty much all perpetrated by kids) such as worthless things being stolen out of unlocked cars and 1 broken window in an unoccupied property we were rehabbing. I have not experienced or witnessed any violent crime, nor has anything happened to anyone I know in the neighborhood, for the entire time I have lived here. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I think it is very rare if you are decently streetwise.

I think in my previous posts I made some assumptions about what USMC Buckeye is looking for in a neighborhood. I am assuming if you are looking here in Newport, you want an urban lifestyle. If you are looking for an idyllic place where you can let your kids roam free then this neighborhood (or the East Row or any other urban area) is not for you.

I don’t have kids, but if I did I certainly would not let them wander the streets here. I also would not allow them to hang out with most of the neighborhood kids, who I would agree are about 75% “punks”. Along these lines, I would be hesitant to send them to Newport Schools (although I have hope for the schools to continue to improve) as that would put them in the vicinity of these same kids. The unfortunate part is that most of these kids are that way because they have been failed by their parents. The kids with parents who actually parent and care about them turn out just fine. For the record, this is not a Newport specific problem and I would feel the same way about Cincinnati Public and most other urban school systems…

That said, I do know people who are raising kids here and are perfectly happy. Furthermore, the reasonable pricing of the housing makes it more practical to afford private school if you choose.

Clifton is nice, but it is really not the same city as the basin area. It is much more suburban, which is great if that is what you are looking for. Ditto that on Fort Thomas.

I will reiterate that I love living here. I think it is reasonable to assume that there is a big difference in happiness with the neighborhood between people who choose to live here and people who are here but would live somewhere else given the means.

Here are a few of the things I think make this a good place to live:
1) Fabulous houses at very affordable prices
2) Walk/bike to Levee, work, downtown, Findlay Market, Covington, et cetera
3) Purple people bridge
4) Diversity in citizens, architecture & businesses
5) Very nice, authentic neighbors
6) Great city staff
7) Best combination of small town and big city atmosphere
8) Ability to be a part of changing the neighborhood for the better

Things I don’t like:
1) A rotation of crappy neighbors (who are generally confined to the same several rental properties)
2) The propensity of these same people to move any argument they are having onto the front lawn (even if it is over the phone!)
3) Litter
4) Punk kids (who sometimes make me angry but most of the time just sad for their circumstances)
5) Bad landlords who allow their beautiful buildings to waste away

Things on the horizon (hopefully) that I am looking forward to:
1) Licking River Greenway
2) Riverwalk
3) Ovation
4) Route 9 extension (to take traffic off of residential streets)

I guess it comes down to what kind of lifestyle you want and how much risk you are willing to take. It is not for everyone, but every year I have seen an increase in (primarily young) people who choose this neighborhood and are very happy that they did. This is a neighborhood you choose when you are looking at downtown Cincinnati, Clifton, Price Hill, Covington, et cetera. It is not reasonable to compare it to Madeira, Highland Heights, Fort Thomas, Loveland or other suburbs. These areas appeal to different types of people, and it depends on who you are whether or not this is the neighborhood for you. I hope this helps…

Old 04-29-2008, 01:10 PM

156 posts, read 628,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei_b View Post
Of course the east side is nicer, no one is arguing that. I am also not trying to say this neighborhood is perfect- I apologize if it came off that way. However, when you compare it to most "bad" neighborhoods in greater Cincinnati Newport is very low on the risk of danger to random citizens. Furthermore, the east side did not become what it is now overnight or without some early adopters taking a risk in the hope of the neighborhood improving.

Again, I am a transplant here from Kenwood via Northside so I do not have an entire life's worth of experience in the city to draw from. In Northside I was legitimately concerned about getting caught in someone's crossfire. Here in all but a few areas I have very little fear for my safety. We have experienced a small amount of petty crime (pretty much all perpetrated by kids) such as worthless things being stolen out of unlocked cars and 1 broken window in an unoccupied property we were rehabbing. I have not experienced or witnessed any violent crime, nor has anything happened to anyone I know in the neighborhood, for the entire time I have lived here. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I think it is very rare if you are decently streetwise.

I think in my previous posts I made some assumptions about what USMC Buckeye is looking for in a neighborhood. I am assuming if you are looking here in Newport, you want an urban lifestyle. If you are looking for an idyllic place where you can let your kids roam free then this neighborhood (or the East Row or any other urban area) is not for you.

I don’t have kids, but if I did I certainly would not let them wander the streets here. I also would not allow them to hang out with most of the neighborhood kids, who I would agree are about 75% “punks”. Along these lines, I would be hesitant to send them to Newport Schools (although I have hope for the schools to continue to improve) as that would put them in the vicinity of these same kids. The unfortunate part is that most of these kids are that way because they have been failed by their parents. The kids with parents who actually parent and care about them turn out just fine. For the record, this is not a Newport specific problem and I would feel the same way about Cincinnati Public and most other urban school systems…

That said, I do know people who are raising kids here and are perfectly happy. Furthermore, the reasonable pricing of the housing makes it more practical to afford private school if you choose.

Clifton is nice, but it is really not the same city as the basin area. It is much more suburban, which is great if that is what you are looking for. Ditto that on Fort Thomas.

I will reiterate that I love living here. I think it is reasonable to assume that there is a big difference in happiness with the neighborhood between people who choose to live here and people who are here but would live somewhere else given the means.

3) Purple people bridge
6) Great city staff

Things I don’t like:
1) A rotation of crappy neighbors (who are generally confined to the same several rental properties)
2) The propensity of these same people to move any argument they are having onto the front lawn (even if it is over the phone!)
3) Litter
4) Punk kids (who sometimes make me angry but most of the time just sad for their circumstances)

2) Riverwalk
3) Ovation

I guess it comes down to what kind of lifestyle you want and how much risk you are willing to take. It is not for everyone, but every year I have seen an increase in (primarily young) people who choose this neighborhood and are very happy that they did. This is a neighborhood you choose when you are looking at downtown Cincinnati, Clifton, Price Hill, Covington, et cetera. It is not reasonable to compare it to Madeira, Highland Heights, Fort Thomas, Loveland or other suburbs. These areas appeal to different types of people, and it depends on who you are whether or not this is the neighborhood for you. I hope this helps…

Wow.... what a great post!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:02 PM

thank you!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM

5 posts, read 6,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei_b View Post

3) Purple people bridge
6) Great city staff

Things I don’t like:
3) Litter

2) Riverwalk
3) Ovation

Price hill sucks Most of my problems here in newport come from growing up here with out a doubt..I'm not gonna go in to all that but I'd say its 95 percent true.. For younger adults just moving here your chances of getting in to trouble is far less likely..It happens though.. If you want things to do with in walking distance than the east end might be perfect for you..I'm just saying if I had kids I would re-locate some where else..

What helped newport look better than some of the other neighborhoods you mentioned was the side walks they forced everybody to pay for and install in the late 90s/early 2000(cant remember)..They broke my moms stairs and made her fix that too.. THem great city people... Anyway I'm tired but look...Came across this some time ago..

the good ol slummy days as a child.. Brings back good memories for real..crazy what a little cement,paint, and a tree can do..

Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky