U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:08 PM

938 posts, read 2,589,728 times

Advertisements

...the media is prepared to ride the Kentucky countryside in search of the biggest hilljacks they can find in order to bait them into making racist comments about Obama on camera. They've been doing it
all week in West Virginia. Sure, they could interview people in Charleston, Morgantown, Huntinton, Lexington, Louisville, or any other populated area in either state and get some great, articulate opinions....but what kind of misleading sensationalist journalism would that be?

Just a warning. Try not to get too mad at them.....they have families to feed with their BS, I suppose....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:33 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,925,042 times
Oh MY goodness!!!!! Things like this is why people across the nation see us all as no toothed, shoeless, racist hicks. It is sad that the media uses people to sensationalize.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,784,230 times
Heck, I am a hick. I am an educated redneck. I drink my bourbon straight, dance all night, sowing wild oats, then get up and go to church to pray for a crop failure. My kid has shoes, but they are more like boots. My momma made souse, caned chairs, and won teddy bear contests in Yankee cities. We wave the Dixie Flag, the American flag, and of course both of those fly under the Christian flag. Come on CNN, Fox, NY Times, Time Mag., CBS, NBC, ABC, London Times. Y'all come now, sit a spell, and I'll teach ya what Forrest Gump never dreamed.

Darn toot'n I am proud to be one of them confusers.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 AM

241 posts, read 1,200,715 times
A recent poll of Kentucky Democrats has Clinton leading Obama 62% to 30%. I find that margin to be surprising considering how strong Obama has run in other southern states. I've read a lot of stories lately that attribute his lack of popularity here to the fact that many voters can't get beyond his race and ethnicity. Whether or not you support him, that kind of thinking reflects very poorly on this state.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,562,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
A recent poll of Kentucky Democrats has Clinton leading Obama 62% to 30%. I find that margin to be surprising considering how strong Obama has run in other southern states. I've read a lot of stories lately that attribute his lack of popularity here to the fact that many voters can't get beyond his race and ethnicity. Whether or not you support him, that kind of thinking reflects very poorly on this state.
What about Obama's wife saying she had never been proud of her country until now. What's up with that? That's very disturbing....

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,862,456 times
I'm in Western KY and I've gotten at least 5 Obama mailers and they are covered in his quotes and I've read them and I re-read them and they didn't say a thing. They were covered in quotes that said nothing. All they did was to repeat things that nearly every American has said, but they failed to provide a solution ... pointing out the problem is fine, but what you going to do to fix it? Nothing on the flier about that.
I'm guessing where getting hit hard with his propaganda is because we're close to Illinois.

All I know that with Hillary McBama we've got 3 very poor choices. It's a worst choices we've had since Carter and Ford.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,925,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Heck, I am a hick. I am an educated redneck. I drink my bourbon straight, dance all night, sowing wild oats, then get up and go to church to pray for a crop failure. My kid has shoes, but they are more like boots. My momma made souse, caned chairs, and won teddy bear contests in Yankee cities. We wave the Dixie Flag, the American flag, and of course both of those fly under the Christian flag. Come on CNN, Fox, NY Times, Time Mag., CBS, NBC, ABC, London Times. Y'all come now, sit a spell, and I'll teach ya what Forrest Gump never dreamed.

Darn toot'n I am proud to be one of them confusers.
Yeah baby!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 AM

241 posts, read 1,200,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
What about Obama's wife saying she had never been proud of her country until now. What's up with that? That's very disturbing....
My post wasn't made to encourage support for Obama. If you disagree with his ideology and political positions, that's completely fair. I just find it disheartening that many Kentuckian's judge him solely on the basis of his race, not his ideas. Personally, I wouldn't judge him on his wife's comments either, since she's not running for office.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,862,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
My post wasn't made to encourage support for Obama. If you disagree with his ideology and political positions, that's completely fair. I just find it disheartening that many Kentuckian's judge him solely on the basis of his race, not his ideas. Personally, I wouldn't judge him on his wife's comments either, since she's not running for office.
It's got nothing to do with his race, I think a lot of people believe that you are the company you keep and southerns tend to form opinions along that line.

Regardless of what Obama says, his long term relationship with his hatin' friends is a indicator of his REAL character and IMHO proof of his poor judgment. Understand I'm equally unimpressed with Clinton and McCain. Clinton is corrupt and McCain is a do as I say not as I do person.

I'm really debating just writing in Scooby-Doo, I hate the thought if pitching my vote in the trash, but I can't stand the thought of contributing to the downfall of this country with the choices we have ... and I'm afraid we are in just that, if things don't improve we're going to be a second rate nation.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,311,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Oh MY goodness!!!!! Things like this is why people across the nation see us all as no toothed, shoeless, racist hicks. It is sad that the media uses people to sensationalize.
I think portraying us that way is clearly the lazy way out. However, unfortunately we give them a lot of ammunition. It's difficult to read this story and not be a little sad for our state.

Race is 'elephant' in booth (http://www.kentucky.com/668/story/401580.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or