Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 02:23 PM

24 posts, read 56,476 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,
I've been visiting Kentucky for the last few years, each time it's been harder and harder for me to return home. So a few months ago I decided that I would pack up and start over in the Bluegrass State. I've recently finalized the details for a rental house in Radcliff, and while thats not my longterm solution, (no offense to anybody in Radcliff!) I wanted to start with something that would at least get me in the state, and then figure out where to actually buy a house with some property.

I did have a few questions that I hope some of you may be able to help me out with.

I'm a technology worker, and I haven't seen much in the local area as far as jobs that fall into my line of work. I am hoping that I can find a job at Fort Knox doing some type of computer work, but the usajobs.gov website isn't showing much for what I do at the present time. Louisville is my next choice for a computer job, but again, checking monster.com and craigslist isn't showing an awful lot for potential employment. My question is this: Are there any IT/Technology workers here? And what are you opinions of employment potential in these areas?

Next, there are some things that are new to me, and please notice I'm not saying "strange, or unusual, etc" I understand that this is all going ot be a new experience for me. But some things are new, for example the area I'm going to doesn't have public trash pickup. What does trash pickup typically cost? Next item, I requested a new auto insurance quote, and found my current rate was nearly doubled. I've read in other threads here that Kentucky has high auto insurance costs. Any ideas why this is the case? I was surprised that I-65 (south) was completely closed down Friday evening due to a truck accident (I think it lost it's load.) and traffic was halted for more than an hour. I have to admit I've never seen an entire interstate "closed" like that before, similarly this happened on my way back home going north on I-65, again, a car accident, and all lanes were shut down. Is this typical of I-65?

Finally, the house I've rented showed the signs of mold on the inner window sills. I've read here that this is typical in Kentucky, what does everyone usually do to manage the mold?

Thanks again everyone for posting so many informative threads here, this forum was a considerable resource for me during my decision to pack up and move to Kentucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:45 AM

149 posts, read 764,328 times
Quote:
I-65, again, a car accident, and all lanes were shut down. Is this typical of I-65?
Heck, at Hart Co just South of Hardin we shut down *both* sides (North & South for wrecks with injuries that need flown out with helicopter.

Meanwhile if yer livin near Muldraugh at North side of Radcliff then shouldnt have to rely on I-65 depending where in Louisville ye wanna go. But if yer at/near rt.313 closer to Etown reconnoitre yer commute probly double that of North side for bein I-65 dependent.

Quote:
I've read in other threads here that Kentucky has high auto insurance costs.
Not true, am payin about $360 per yr myself - aint filed a claim in my life though, so i guess on paper that makes me a perfect driver. Car's a beater too, 1977 that probly blue book's $1200 tops.

Quote:
I'm a technology worker... hoping that I can find a job at Fort Knox doing some type of computer work, but the usajobs.gov website isn't showing much. Louisville is my next choice for a computer job, but again, checking monster.com and craigslist....
Just 'cause ye work with computers dont mean you gotta rely on em for finding work. Bldg#1109 at the army post houses state employment office, touch base and see what they got cookin. Spun my resume threw em myself, was hopin for high dollar overseas deployment at Logistics/Transport notso long ago via Haliburton thats got an office on post. Plus y'all darned well oughta be readin "Turret" freebie newspaper all over town that includes Ft.Knox events cover to cover, specially checkin for USGov jobfair happenings every few weeks that welcomes civilians too.

Finally it spaeks well of neighborly trust that ye got house lease without having a job - so dont pester the landlord about them moldy windows

Old 05-15-2008, 04:07 PM

24 posts, read 56,476 times
Thanks for the info KYCoyote!

I'm not complaining about the mold, just wondering how folks typically deal with it

I'll definitely check that building on the post, as you said I don't have to do computer work.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:49 AM

149 posts, read 764,328 times
Enter the army base at Wilson Rd near Walmart. Tell em at the gate you're heading for State Employment Office Bldg#1109. It will be the 2nd left after the gate and then right couple of miles down, red brick building. There are no maps of the base, you will probly get lost. The office will have database and computer terminals you can use, regular postings of job fairs. Employment counselors offer direct letter of introduction for job openings, very professional. Probly the best state employment office in Kentucky. Other facilities on base include public gun range and military px. I once drove through the gate with couple of mausers in the back seat and boxes of ammo for shooting at the range, no problemo. Also got an amazing cell phone deal at the px. Interestingly you can also buy whiskey at the gas station on base though Hardin itself is moist county with no liquor stores, beer and whiskey available at couple of restaurants is all.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:44 PM

52 posts, read 133,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Enter the army base at Wilson Rd near Walmart. Tell em at the gate you're heading for State Employment Office Bldg#1109. It will be the 2nd left after the gate and then right couple of miles down, red brick building. There are no maps of the base, you will probly get lost. The office will have database and computer terminals you can use, regular postings of job fairs. Employment counselors offer direct letter of introduction for job openings, very professional. Probly the best state employment office in Kentucky. Other facilities on base include public gun range and military px. I once drove through the gate with couple of mausers in the back seat and boxes of ammo for shooting at the range, no problemo. Also got an amazing cell phone deal at the px. Interestingly you can also buy whiskey at the gas station on base though Hardin itself is moist county with no liquor stores, beer and whiskey available at couple of restaurants is all.
Actually, it's the fourth "stop light left". There are many other left turns. Just count the lights. There are maps, you can get them in the basement of 1110 next door.
As for buying the whiskey: I know of only 2 gas stations on post and didn't know they sell whiskey. Neither sells anything to a person who does not possess a military, retiree, or dependant I.D. card. And I've been here (retired from Army in 1992) since 1989 and go to post daily for my job.
There are many IT jobs in the area. They just aren't widely published. I don't know where you're from so I can't compare the pay scale for them. Email me and I may be able to help on that and most of your other questions.

In reference to I-65 problems, visit my family's website Barriers Now - Powered by vBulletin and see why "death alley" has so many shut downs and closings.

Last edited by Dave Lawson; 05-22-2008 at 09:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky