U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 11,225 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

My family will be relocating to KY (from WY) this next spring. My wife and I have zeroed in on these four small, friendly areas...

1. Bardstown / Nelson County
2. Elizabethtown / Hardin County
3. Cadiz / Trigg County
4. Benton / Marshall County

This goes out to anyone who is (or knows) an RN...

Since my wife prefers a junior college, which of the 4 counties above would be better for her to finish her medical classes? Which would have better employment opportunities for her once she is state certified? How long are the clinicals?

To be an RN (specializing in pediatrics) has been her dream for quite some time now. There is nothing I want more than to see it come true. She really does deserve it.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to your replies.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 PM

12 posts, read 29,849 times
Kentucky has a 2 year college system now that has a campus nearly in every county. Many of them have RN programs....They also have an agreement with many 4 year institutions and universities that you can transfer to (the credits transfer)
It is the Kentucky community and technical college system..

Go to...

www.kctcs.edu

I am sure that you can find what you need here. Ky is a great place to get an education.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:47 PM

120 posts, read 434,999 times
Default re

I'm a Registered Nurse, and I interviewed once in KY (Kings Daughters Medical Center in Ashland KY to be exact). My experience with the KY Board of Nursing and prospective employment led me to believe that working in KY as an RN would be a positive experience. The Board of Nursing is helpful, prompt, and makes licensing an uncomplicated process. The hospital environment that I was exposed to was very competitive...as in competitive with other places around the country. IE good wages in comparison to cost of living, good working conditions (nurse to patient ratio was excellent), human resources were friendly and professional. They really made me feel wanted and valued as a prospective team member, not just another number. Keep in mind, this is the experience of one person with one facility. I chose to hit the beaches in NC instead, but should I desire to return to work in the mid-atlantic/south central region of the country, I would not be for a moment in opposition of seeking work in KY again.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:17 AM

850 posts, read 2,116,306 times
Elizabethtown by far. The college ther is right in town, and they have one of the better nursing programs in the state. I attended myself - but was unable to finish.

Living there is wonderful, too. It is 50 minutes south of Louisville, so if she decided she wanted her BSN instead of just the 2 year - a drive to U oF L would not be that bad. Additionally, once she finishes school - E-town has a very up-to-date hopsital system - but if she chose to work in Louisville -again, it would not be a bad commute.

The south end of Louisville - straight up 31W (Dixie Hwy) leads to a hospital just 30 minutes away and many docors facilities. Lots of opportunities.

The area has a wonderful school district, all the modern shopping facilities - Walmart, Kroger, Target, Lowes, Pier One, Old, Navy, etc. You really never have to leave town to do all you need to do.

That would be my pick. Bardstown is a beautiful place, and not far from the college system in E-town, but a little farther to Louisville. The area also is not as large. Less shopping choices, housing, etc.

Just depends on your preference.

Not sure about the other two towns, other than the fact that they are very homey, too.

Welcome to the State!

KimmieyKY

Old 01-05-2007, 04:58 PM

76 posts, read 248,006 times
Cadiz, KY is a small, friendly town. A great area for hunting & fishing.
Check out http://www.barkleylake.com/ (broken link)
A great place to raise your children. School system is all on one campus. Check out http://www.trigg.k12.ky.us/
We have a small hospital. Check out http://www.trigghospital.org/
But you can travel 30 minutes to the east and be at Jennie Sturat Medical Center in Hopkinsville. Check out http://www.jsmc.org/index.php?section=1 (broken link)
Also to the west there is Murray Calloway County Hospital. Check out /http://www.murrayhospital.org/
I have heard that Hopkinsville has a good nursing program. Check out http://www.kctcs.edu
I hope I have given you some information you needed. If you need anything else about Cadiz, KY just let me know

Old 01-05-2007, 07:05 PM

17 posts, read 35,134 times
i agree with kimmieyky. Live in Elizabeth town if you want to pursue your RN career. I'm not very familiar with Etown, but it is close to Louisville and Southern IN, which have schools with really good nursing programs. A good friend of mine is a Nurse Practitioner, and started her education from Western KY University in Bowling Green and finished her education at USI (University of SOuthern Indiana). She works in Louisville and loves it.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:13 PM

12 posts, read 32,424 times
Default RN Jobs and Education in Owensboro

Check out my home community of Owensboro. Great place to live with a nice small town feel, but all the amenites expected in the 3rd largest city in the State. Good economy with low cost but high standard of living. Low unemployment means lots of jobs. Owensboro Mercy Health Systems has just announced a new 500 bed medical campus on 140 acres. They have big need for RN's and will pay for your education!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,645 times
Default lpnky

I agree with kimmie. E-town is nice friendly town with alot of shopping centers and their school I hear is great and that is right in town. The hosptial is there within close, dr. offices and such and then 50 miles up heading to louisville with multiple places for RN to get work with good pay I hear. Going south have small area hosptial town leitchfield, Ky. very small town but if I had to make choice out of the following towns I would choose elizabethtown also another great town with alot of nursing opportunities would be owensboro, Ky.

lpnky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky