U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,553,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Ok - I have a question. For most of my life, the "official" purpose of Memorial Day was to honor fallen soldiers, and our communities often had little memorials, parades, etc. Now, though, living in KY I've met lots of people who use Memorial Day as a time to remember all loved ones that have passed away...and I've seen lots of roadside stands selling memorial flowers for moms, sisters, etc.

My husband's family (who live in Louisville) said that they have always celebrated Memorial Day by traveling to where their family members are buried.

So, is this a KY thing? A southern thing? Or just a less specific regional thing that I just haven't noticed before?
Ya know I'm not sure. How do other places do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 PM

237 posts, read 756,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Dig I have a feeling it's mainly lips and hooves lol
That's nicer than I would have put it....lol

Dig~

Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 PM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
We're leaving this weekend for Georgia! Wife's grand daughter is graduating then we're watching THREE teenage grand daughters while their mom and dad take a well deserved trip alone. Dad just got home from deployment #4 to Iraq. Watching the girls might be a break for us too! We just bought a house! Moving is a PAIN! But the house is nice!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:23 AM

237 posts, read 756,845 times
Enjoy your trip to Georgia, kygman! But, if you drive anywhere close to Atlanta, be careful. I just got tagged in the rear this morning by a cab driver. Grrrr......

Dig~

Old 05-22-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post
Enjoy your trip to Georgia, kygman! But, if you drive anywhere close to Atlanta, be careful. I just got tagged in the rear this morning by a cab driver. Grrrr......

Dig~
Y'all have fun!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:21 AM

108 posts, read 399,133 times
We're going to visit our friends in Hampton Roads (the Va. Beach/Norfolk, VA area). We haven't seen them since we moved away last year. This will be the first time they get to see our eight-month-old twin boys!

One of the boys doesn't like being strapped into his car seat (I can't really blame him), so we're probably going to have to listen to him crying for most of the trip.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
We're going to visit our friends in Hampton Roads (the Va. Beach/Norfolk, VA area). We haven't seen them since we moved away last year. This will be the first time they get to see our eight-month-old twin boys!

One of the boys doesn't like being strapped into his car seat (I can't really blame him), so we're probably going to have to listen to him crying for most of the trip.
Oh honey, that will be fun lol.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post

Dig~
I told my parents once that I'm usually driving 80-85 through downtown Atlanta on I-75. My mother asked me why I wanted to drive that fast. I told it wasn't that I want to, it's just that I don't want to get knocked out of the road by those going faster than that! lol

Old 05-22-2008, 04:32 PM

295 posts, read 813,180 times
I'll be doing overtime on Sunday morning trying to get some extra money for gas for our Ky vacation in July, lol.

Monday night, same o same o. I work in a hospital. We never close.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,232 times
anyone interested in dog grooming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or