U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:02 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,754,925 times

Advertisements

$4.00 gallon gas ... I'm not going anywhere but the backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:10 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,638,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Ok - I have a question. For most of my life, the "official" purpose of Memorial Day was to honor fallen soldiers, and our communities often had little memorials, parades, etc. Now, though, living in KY I've met lots of people who use Memorial Day as a time to remember all loved ones that have passed away...and I've seen lots of roadside stands selling memorial flowers for moms, sisters, etc.

My husband's family (who live in Louisville) said that they have always celebrated Memorial Day by traveling to where their family members are buried.

So, is this a KY thing? A southern thing? Or just a less specific regional thing that I just haven't noticed before?
People have always placed flowers on their relative's graves during Memorial Day weekend around here. I thought most places did. Maybe it is a southern thing...not sure now.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,236 times
Hi .I have a maltese dog .For 7 years I took her to be groomed.she didn't like going.I finally took an action,enrolled in Nash academy dog grooming school,learned everything I need t know,and Now I groom my own dog,and she is one happy camper!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:38 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,395,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy baruch View Post
Hi .I have a maltese dog .For 7 years I took her to be groomed.she didn't like going.I finally took an action,enrolled in Nash academy dog grooming school,learned everything I need t know,and Now I groom my own dog,and she is one happy camper!
How interesting Sandy.....

Old 05-22-2008, 06:40 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,395,791 times
Quote:
Ok - I have a question. For most of my life, the "official" purpose of Memorial Day was to honor fallen soldiers, and our communities often had little memorials, parades, etc. Now, though, living in KY I've met lots of people who use Memorial Day as a time to remember all loved ones that have passed away...and I've seen lots of roadside stands selling memorial flowers for moms, sisters, etc.

My husband's family (who live in Louisville) said that they have always celebrated Memorial Day by traveling to where their family members are buried.

So, is this a KY thing? A southern thing? Or just a less specific regional thing that I just haven't noticed before?
I thought it was typical of the whole country to do this on Memorial Day?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:07 AM

70 posts, read 186,111 times
Quote:

I'm a little puzzled by this because I thought everyone does it. The local VFW has a ceremony at the local cemetery during the Memorial Day weekend, usually on Saturday morning. We always place flowers on the graves of family members during this weekend but also throughout the year. We make sure the gravesite is well kept and not just one day a year. We feel it shows respect for your loved ones.

I just assumed everyone did this for their loved ones who have passed on. I've never lived anywhere else but the south so I dunno how the traditions are elsewhere.

Missy, I always seem to end up with more people than I expect during holidays so ya might as well come on down, rofl Once you get a reputation for being a pretty good cook, people just seem to show up! rofl

Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 AM

237 posts, read 757,115 times
Unfortunately, I won't be in Morgantown to put flowers on Mom & Dad's grave this weekend. But I do every time I'm in town!

Dig~

Old 05-23-2008, 09:23 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,208,025 times
This Memorial day, I will be remembering all the men and women who gave their lives so that we may continue to enjoy all the freedoms of this nation that I am blessed to be a part of..I will also honor the living who are now serving and I will pray that God will allow them to return to their loved ones, and that this Nation will..I will honor the veterans by supporting their various needs and causes..When "taps" is played by the aged veteran in the cemetary, I will shed a tear as I humbly thank God for the sacrifice of the people we are now honoring...

Old 05-23-2008, 01:21 PM

688 posts, read 2,724,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I'm a little puzzled by this because I thought everyone does it. The local VFW has a ceremony at the local cemetery during the Memorial Day weekend, usually on Saturday morning. We always place flowers on the graves of family members during this weekend but also throughout the year. We make sure the gravesite is well kept and not just one day a year. We feel it shows respect for your loved ones.
Oh - I definitely have visited gravesites of loved ones to bring flowers, etc across the year. It's just I've never heard of it being a tradition specific for Memorial Day because where I've lived, Memorial Day is always about celebrating fallen veterans, and maybe other "heroes" like firefighters, etc, who have passed away. I've seen the services at Arlington, etc, for fallen soldiers on Memorial Day, and that is very similar to what I've always noticed before.

The first time I noticed it was after moving to KY, we visited a Wal-mart store and I saw stacks of wreaths for "mother", "father", "sister", etc. I said something to my husband about it, wondering what they were all doing there, and he just looked at me and said, "They're for Memorial Day"...and I learned that in his family (Louisville natives), they always get decorations to take to the gravesites of loved ones on Memorial Day.

I just honestly have not seen that before, although I don't think it is a bad tradition.

Of course, I am guilty of making my Memorial Day weekend all about the cookout!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 PM

9,588 posts, read 20,471,944 times
I will be taking a roadtrip to Nashville going the backway - actually way around the mulberry bush. We will stop in Owensboro to eat at Moonlight Barb-e-que for lunch tomorrow than go to the Audubon Museum in Henderson, then head down the Pennyrile Parkway to go through Madisonville and Hopkinsville before taking I-24 to the motel in Goodletsville, TN. I plan to go to the Nashville Parthenon and The Hermitage on Sunday or Monday, as well as shooting some 'freeway video' (yes, I'm a road geek )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or