U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 14,034 times

Advertisements

We are a large family in today's world...three children. We are looking for a family friendly town/city, with normal amenities, job, schools etc. We really appreciate all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:11 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,476,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenyla View Post
We are a large family in today's world...three children. We are looking for a family friendly town/city, with normal amenities, job, schools etc. We really appreciate all your help.
Ok, if you participate on this forum often, you will know how much I love Oldham County, but that being said, there are 119 more counties in Kentucky, which means there are at least 20 places that I could recommend, but the only way I would recommend a particular place would be after knowing more of your criteria.

Things such as how often will you travel and to where? (how important are highways & airports). What skills/trainin do you and/or your spouse have for employment? What is your rural/suburban/urban factor? How many miles do you wish to drive to work, to shopping, etc? Do your children need special educational services including advanced classes? What about college for you and/or members of your family?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
Quote:
I have a large family of three children too

Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 14,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Ok, if you participate on this forum often, you will know how much I love Oldham County, but that being said, there are 119 more counties in Kentucky, which means there are at least 20 places that I could recommend, but the only way I would recommend a particular place would be after knowing more of your criteria.

Things such as how often will you travel and to where? (how important are highways & airports). What skills/trainin do you and/or your spouse have for employment? What is your rural/suburban/urban factor? How many miles do you wish to drive to work, to shopping, etc? Do your children need special educational services including advanced classes? What about college for you and/or members of your family?
Wow - a lot of questions....let me try to answer. My husband is able to relocate from his employer - the city must be at least 5k people. We have lived in the stereotypical burbs but are looking from something less "Jones' like" (if possible). If that makes sense. Our children are under eight and are advanced in math and reading, so maybe a school that will challenge them? We simply want a town that is family friendly, ability to know your neighbor...a home town....

Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,476,629 times
Quote:
Wow - a lot of questions....let me try to answer. My husband is able to relocate from his employer - the city must be at least 5k people. We have lived in the stereotypical burbs but are looking from something less "Jones' like" (if possible). If that makes sense. Our children are under eight and are advanced in math and reading, so maybe a school that will challenge them? We simply want a town that is family friendly, ability to know your neighbor...a home town....
Boone County (near Cincinnati) and Oldham County (Near Louisville) have the most in terms of closeness to big city amenities but still not in cookie cutters. Warren County is outstanding due to being home to Western Kentucky State Teachers College, AKA: Western Kentucky University. Calloway County is near Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, and the Land between the Lakes and is home to one of America's annually best rated small public colleges in Murray. Typically, the counties with the colleges have the best public k-12's. An exception is Daviess County. While Owensboro is a bit boring, its a wonderful place to raise a child. Just be sure to live in the Daviess County School district.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 PM

8 posts, read 148,912 times
PIKEVILLE
It was voted on of the 100 best small towns in America. I couldn't begin to describe how wonderful this town is. Visit one time and your decision is made.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:29 AM

18 posts, read 48,248 times
Maysville or Flemingsburg

Just another suggestion.........

I can PM a bunch of links for real estate listings if you want 'em.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:24 AM

8,758 posts, read 8,633,533 times
I live in Bowling Green which is in southern Kentucky. It is a growing city and is a college town. The population of Warren County is a little over 100,000 but it still has a small town feel to it. We have two very good school systems and a lot of private school choices. Also, we are about an hour from Nashville and little over an hour from Louisville.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:54 AM

22 posts, read 72,455 times
I would have to say Owensboro. Owensboro is known as a family town and has some of the best schools in the state of Kentucky. All elementary schools score above 90 on the CATS test and all middle schools are in the top 30 in the state out of like 215 schools. This is in the Daviess County school district. I lived there for 20 years and will probably go back after college.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:16 PM

47 posts, read 123,424 times
Bowling Green is a great place to live and raise a family. Having a university here, WKU, provides amenities and cultural opportunities that aren't found in other similar-sized communities. There is good shopping, many restaurants, excellent medical care and a great parks and recreation system. We have 2 excellent school systems that include some of the best rated schools in the state. There are a wide variety of options in housing. I think the cost of living here is very reasonable. In addition, our location on I65 is very convenient and we are 1 hour north of Nashville, TN and about 1 1/2 hours south of Louisville, KY. You should really check Bowling Green out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or