Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 08:52 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't understand the stubbornness by KY's govt at tweaking the tax system to improve growth. Probably many legislators don't want growth as it would threaten their power. The only geographic advantage TN has is their Appalachian Mountains are large. Nashville's boom status is solely due to smart govt at local and state levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 09:26 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I honestly don't understand the stubbornness by KY's govt at tweaking the tax system to improve growth. Probably many legislators don't want growth as it would threaten their power. The only geographic advantage TN has is their Appalachian Mountains are large. Nashville's boom status is solely due to smart govt at local and state levels.
It's being done. The plan is to gradually reduce the individual income tax to zero .5% at a time which is the slow and cautious approach. The state tax has already been reduced with more reductions planned. The current tax reduction has saved tax payers $500 million.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:15 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I have several friends who spend most of the summer at camps they set up along the Ohio River. Lots of fishing, swimming, boating with crowds every weekend. The Ohio isn't a bad river. Lived in a county on the edge of the Ohio for 30 years.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:00 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Just a little funny story in this thread for a minute. With Marino living in Maysville I had to tell this one. Back in the mid-1960s everybody at the Mayfield High School Junior/Senior Prom were on the dance floor, but no band. The school got a phone call about an hour later from the band...in Maysville! Needless to say the local radio station brought a lot of records over for the night.
Now I don't feel quite as dense.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:08 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Now I don't feel quite as dense.
Nothing to worry about. I think that night of the tornadoes even one or two newscasters were getting the two towns confused.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:29 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
There's a lot of work going on, but it will be a long long time before things are back to normal. There are several groups, including Mennonites, who are coming in and building homes for families with little or no insurance. Had another school group come to town last week just to help people clean up their yards.
I just quoted my own post because I wanted to show how much work is being done by one group. Really one man! He has a bar b que restaurant in the southern part of the county that is very small but always packed. After the tornado he started making sure that anybody that needed kerosene or propane for heat always had some, along with food and other needs. He and others are now building Camp Graves, about 10 miles or so south of Mayfield. Somebody on Facebook just asked what Camp Grave was. I'm going to copy and paste it here so you can see how much work is being done by just this one group of volunteers. When he mentions taking meals from Dawson Springs through Tennessee, Dawson Springs is about 75 miles east of here and was also hit by the same tornado.

https://www.facebook.com/Campgravesky

"So after the tornado hit most know the different things we were involved in with amazing volunteers from all over the community and abroad.
We initially used our existing non profit facility to house displaced families and our restaurant to feed meals from Dawson springs all the way through Tennessee.
We also took on the task of taking heating fuel (kerosene and propane to homes that lacked heat )
In doing this we saw the increasing need for housing and not just that but growth and help them expand their horizons and break so many cycles we all see.
So due to these missions being so far outside our existing non profits mission statement we had to create a new non profit to fit the government required mission statement.
Currently we have worked on empty homes in the county and repaired them in trade for free one year of rent to displaced families .
We are in the process of installing tiny homes on our private property which will also include an education center to help with job and life training which will include budget skills and mortgage ready programs so once their time with us is up they can purchase their own home .
This facility will be able to be used after victims of the tornado are placed on the right path and have achieved their goals . For things like house fires or hopefully not but another disaster. We are also looking towards programs to help foster kids that are aging out of the system and many other similar programs to help promote growth and independence.
We are also putting in a veterans housing and work center in mayfield also a housing apartment for Hispanic families. Both which will be utilized to help them grow and be able to succeed and get back into a normal life and society.
This is just a real brief quickly written statement while I had a couple minutes. Hope this helps .
We are not government and have not received an abundance of money and doing the things we do on private property we do have a larger amount of rules all bent towards people doing better such as no drugs, drinking etc on the property. Must have a job if able to work . If you don't have a HS diploma or GED we will help you but you must get it ."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky