U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 PM

80 posts, read 354,511 times

Advertisements

I know that my relatives date back to Rebecca Bryan, who was married to Daniel Boone. So that has to go back to at least 1775. My dad has all this stuff traced out, I'd have to check with him to get more details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:05 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,556,777 times
My family originally settled in Virginia once they arrived from Germany. Then they moved to Eastern Kentucky in the late 1800's. Dad's family are as German as it gets.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 PM

9,770 posts, read 21,075,512 times
I have actually found the will of one of my great... grandparents who lived in South Carolina in the 1800s. His estate was sued because he gave all his slaves farm equipment and farm animals and large amounts of land to be owned by them - not any White man, but only theirs. I am very proud that my lineage includes a man of such character

"Further I Bequeath unto the aforesaid Negroes all that Plantation or tract of land I now live upon with all appurtenance thereunto Belonging to be theirs and their Heirs forever
I also give unto the said Negroes One Mare ,a Cow and Calf a Sow and Pigs with all my farming utensils to be theirs forever" - Hugh McDonald July 22, 1813

I also found detailed info about one of my great... grandfathers who was killed in a 'skirmish' during the Civil War in Wise County, VA (Just across from Harlan Co, KY). It turns out he was killed when someone stole his horse and he retaliated.

Hugh McDonald Will*-*Blwkk
The Search Continues

Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 PM

7,358 posts, read 12,890,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
How interesting! How hard is it to do? What I have is based on what my great grandma wrote and a few others.
missy, she's been working on her family geneology for over 30 years. You have to look at a lot of census records and birth and death records. She does a lot of research at the Hopkinsville Library. They have a great geneology dept. upstairs. Paducah library is supposed to have a good one too. She gets copies of birth and death certificates, marriage license, etc. Some will cost a few bucks if you have to order them through the state archives.
If you want to know how to get started drop me a direct message. She can give you some pointers. She belongs to an "LBL pals" email list made up of descendants of families who used to live in the land between the lakes

Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 AM

149 posts, read 701,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have actually found the will of one of my great... grandparents who lived in South Carolina in the 1800s. His estate was sued because he gave all his slaves farm equipment and farm animals and large amounts of land to be owned by them - not any White man, but only theirs. I am very proud that my lineage includes a man of such character

"Further I Bequeath unto the aforesaid Negroes all that Plantation or tract of land I now live upon with all appurtenance thereunto Belonging to be theirs and their Heirs forever
I also give unto the said Negroes One Mare ,a Cow and Calf a Sow and Pigs with all my farming utensils to be theirs forever" - Hugh McDonald July 22, 1813

I also found detailed info about one of my great... grandfathers who was killed in a 'skirmish' during the Civil War in Wise County, VA (Just across from Harlan Co, KY). It turns out he was killed when someone stole his horse and he retaliated.

Hugh McDonald Will - Blwkk
The Search Continues
Hmm, in contrast to this my great-great-uncle John J. "Crittenden" authored kentucky compromise bill to US.Senate to duck entry into Civil War - basically askin we keep our slaves yet not succeed from the Union.

Acting on the Memorial Day thread (and lacking a date for chasing Rough River gators) I went to Frankfort Cemetary on Saturday to visit John J.'s grave. Weird Crittenden political dynasty circa 1800's - straight genealogy search has me bein great great grandchild of New York Crittenton for whose daughter "Florence" Ky is named, also he's uncle/brother(?) to John J. Crittenden through Arkansas Nathaniel Crittentin, chief magistrate to western territories before Arkansas became a state.

Beaucoup changes in name spellings occured back then, could be on account of family riffs or just court clerk follies. Doin my own genealogy research found official court ducuments with spellings crossed out and makin the changes from "Crittentin" to "Crittenden" and "Crittenton."

(edit: Yet for y'all oldest old-timers here, reckon ther was 16 original familes followed Daniel Boone early through Cumberland Gap. Critt's were not amongst em.

Last edited by KYcoyote; 05-29-2008 at 12:50 AM..

Old 05-29-2008, 05:09 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,913,116 times
I love hearing all about y'all's history! Keep it coming!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 AM

9,770 posts, read 21,075,512 times
Here is something interesting/ scary: the declining height of my male forebears

On my dad's side:
Great grandfather stood 6'8
Grandfather stood 6'5
My father stood 5'9
I am 5'6

At this rate my grandchildren will be midgets!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:27 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,913,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Here is something interesting/ scary: the declining height of my male forebears

On my dad's side:
Great grandfather stood 6'8
Grandfather stood 6'5
My father stood 5'9
I am 5'6

At this rate my grandchildren will be midgets!
lol lol that's funny! My husband is 5'5"

Old 05-30-2008, 07:42 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,696,715 times
We came to Kentucky two years ago. We wanted to be sure the problems with the Shawnees, Wyandots and Torys were over with.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:49 PM

763 posts, read 2,256,874 times
Although we arrived in America early in the 1700's from Ireland, our family came to Kentucky in the early 1800's and settled near Harlan. My Dad actually authored 2 geneology books, "Caldwells and their Cousins of S.E. Kentucky" after spedning much of his life doing research. We still have an annual Caldwell family reunion in Corbin every July. It's facinating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky