Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
I still feel Louisville has much better historic architecture overall but the Richland area is definitely posh.
Louisville is a much older city, so it should. In 1900 Jefferson Co had 232,000 residents, nearly double Davidson Co's 132,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 04:26 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville is a much older city, so it should. In 1900 Jefferson Co had 232,000 residents, nearly double Davidson Co's 132,000
I would think the difference would be larger than that...to this day, Jefferson County is still SIGNIFICANTLY more in population than Nashville/Davidson. So even though Nashville has a larger metro area, it is only because all the sprawl that surrounds the city in outer counties. If you drive all the neighborhoods, Louisville feels like a much larger city IMO. You woundn't find dense urban areas like Beechmont 6-7 miles from downtown Nashville. Downtown Nashville is definitely much more vibrant than downtown Louisville, and has more to do and more tourists. If Louisville builds all its downtown proposals, the two downtowns should be roughly equal in five years, though. We will see.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:11 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I would think the difference would be larger than that...to this day, Jefferson County is still SIGNIFICANTLY more in population than Nashville/Davidson. So even though Nashville has a larger metro area, it is only because all the sprawl that surrounds the city in outer counties. If you drive all the neighborhoods, Louisville feels like a much larger city IMO. You woundn't find dense urban areas like Beechmont 6-7 miles from downtown Nashville. Downtown Nashville is definitely much more vibrant than downtown Louisville, and has more to do and more tourists. If Louisville builds all its downtown proposals, the two downtowns should be roughly equal in five years, though. We will see.
I kinda wish Louisville would get more "touristy", we need the money.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
As opposed to this mess???

I will say that L'ville does have better bypasses. The Nashville area is larger than L'ville yet they don't have a bypass worth a flip. And don't tell me I-440 is one because that would be a joke.
I just thank God for backroads

Old 06-01-2008, 07:01 AM

I was just curious and looking at houses for sale in nashville and just wondering why it is so much more expensive? Houses similar to mine are quite a bit more expensive. I paid 100,000 for my brick ranch but ones that are very similar in Nashville are 150,000 and up.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:10 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I was just curious and looking at houses for sale in nashville and just wondering why it is so much more expensive? Houses similar to mine are quite a bit more expensive. I paid 100,000 for my brick ranch but ones that are very similar in Nashville are 150,000 and up.

It depends on what area you are looking in. How long ago did you buy your house?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It depends on what area you are looking in. How long ago did you buy your house?
a year and half ago but in all fairness this was an estate and not just a seller selling.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:24 AM

813 posts, read 2,030,844 times
Quote:
Louisville is definitely more contiguous than Nashville due to it's history. Nashville's core, however, (Downtown and Midtown) definitely let's you know your in larger metro with more than 1.6 million. The two cities are very different to be so close. Nashville's strength is it's booming downtown and midtown and popular satelite cities (Murfreesboro, Franklin, etc.). Louisville's, rather, is it's old neighborhoods with the bulk of it's population in Jefferson County. I've always thought it was strange how downtown Nashville and midtown and some of West and East Nashville is very dense and then it ends six miles out either way. It's a matter of when these cities matured.

I don't think there's any way Louisville's core can catch up with Nashville's any time in the near future just as I don't think Davidson County's density will ever match Louisville's historic neighborhoods. Although the arena and Museum Plaza amongst others will bring a great new era for Louisville, Nashville has too many more projects already underway or about to start. With that said, I've really enjoyed Louisville the few times I've visited and feel the city has a number of great things going for it such as its arts community. So I look forward to coming up again very soon to see how you guys are progressing.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:25 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
too bad signature tower is not gonna get built. sorry nashville.
I wouldn't count Siggy out just yet. Giarratana just announced that he's overhauling the development to make it doable. He plans to decrease the number of condos, increase the number of hotel rooms, and add a commerical office segment of the tower. He apparently already has a very large suitor for the commercial floors that may guarentee this tower gets built. The new tower may have more square footage than before due to the configuration of office space vs residential space. The height, he said, would be the same.

Signature Tower might be more likely to succeed now than Museum Plaza, which is sad because I love the design of Museum Plaza.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:33 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,494 times
Quote:
It's not that significant of a difference, and Davidson County may pass Jefferson County in the next few years.

2000:
Davidson County - 570,000
Jefferson County - 694,000

2007:
Davidson County - 620,000
Jefferson County - 709,000

Davidson grew by 50,000 people in 7 years. Jefferson grew by 15,000 people in 7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky