U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:51 PM

69 posts, read 303,027 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the northern Kentucky area within a few months a wanted to know what the interracial dating scense is like there. I know that interracial dating has become very acceptable in most parts of the country and I just wanted to make sure I would not be "shocked" moving to NKY. I love the urban and historic neighborhoods of Covington and Newport which is one of the many reason my girlfriend and I are deciding to move there. Oh and by the way, not that it is of any real significance but I am a 23 year old black male and my girlfriend is a 27 year old white female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,478,331 times
No one in Kentucky will be "shocked" with interracial relationships. It won't be a status symbol and you won't get invited to the women's club ball, but if you can be happy in your nest, you'll be happy in Kentucky as most Kentuckians I know will just leave you alone and consider your relationship as "unremarkable". Or in the words of a famous American, "no big deal."

Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 AM

241 posts, read 1,176,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet View Post
I will be moving to the northern Kentucky area within a few months a wanted to know what the interracial dating scense is like there. I know that interracial dating has become very acceptable in most parts of the country and I just wanted to make sure I would not be "shocked" moving to NKY. I love the urban and historic neighborhoods of Covington and Newport which is one of the many reason my girlfriend and I are deciding to move there. Oh and by the way, not that it is of any real significance but I am a 23 year old black male and my girlfriend is a 27 year old white female.
You'll be fine. Interracial couples are increasingly common in NKY as they are nearly everywhere else. While it is a conservative region, people tend to be more open minded because it's part of pretty large urban area.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 PM

137 posts, read 385,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet View Post
I don't think you will have a problem at all. I am a caucasian married to an Asian. We live in NKY and have never really had any problems concerning racism or anything of that nature. We have a child (bi-racial obviously) and she has never been discriminated against in anyway that we are aware of. If anything you might be treated better by folks here as I have found them to be very accepting of our marriage and our family in general, than some other places that I have lived. I hope you truly decide on NKY to live as we need more diversity over here! LOL. Take care. I hope you find the perfect place for you and your girlfriend! If you don't mind me asking, where are y'all moving from?

Last edited by Kentuckyguy; 05-29-2008 at 08:27 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 12:49 AM

10,148 posts, read 18,127,033 times
I've met a couple of interracial couples in Lexington, prosperous working class people too, not your stereotypical social liberal types. Nobody I met seems to care about that kind of thing here. See many Gay couples here too. To me seeing those things are signs a town is civilized.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,553,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
To me seeing those things are signs a town is civilized.
Really? Why is that?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Really? Why is that?
Tolerance is a civilized thing; it's cosmopoliton and indicitive of those who welcome change and social intercourse. One could argue that such attitudes are important in creating or at least improving civilization.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Tolerance is a civilized thing; it's cosmopoliton and indicitive of those who welcome change and social intercourse. One could argue that such attitudes are important in creating or at least improving civilization.
Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything. Those who believe that deversity is always good are dead wrong.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything. Those who believe that deversity (sic) is always good are dead wrong.
The Devil you say. And this has what to do with tolerance and civilization? You seem to imply you approve of neither.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM

Default You must be kidding?

Quote:
The Devil you say. And this has what to do with tolerance and civilization? You seem to imply you approve of neither.
I was quite clear in my prose. Diversity is not always a good thing! I speak especially in a political sense, not a faith-based attitude; however, I have never seen a successful society that embraced all diversity. Typically, politically correct diversity is a lame excuse for undisciplined people to do whatever they feel without regard to others or even the well being of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky