U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2008, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
1,448 posts, read 4,218,431 times
Reputation: 881

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
So if only 20% of the people report that race is an issue, but nearly 100% of the folks the MSM interview reflect that view. That's our problem and not biased/stereotypical reporting?
Right, because they were presenting those people as representative of the 20% and not the entire 100%. You think they were presenting those people as typical of all Kentuckians and I don't. They were presented as typical of the 20% of Kentuckians who admitted they would not vote for a qualified black candidate. And that's not biased reporting, imo.

Again, if our percent hadn't been as high as 20%, this would not be a news story. But it is and it was.

Quote:
What's interesting is that the 20% of white that wouldn't vote for Obama because he's black, is racist. But the 90%+ of blacks that voted for Obama because he is, is not.
But those 90% of blacks have consistently voted for qualified white candidates on numerous occasions while that 20% of whites has never voted for a qualified black candidate ever. There is a distinction here.

Quote:
As for Lincoln, you can not compare the world of 1860 with the world of 2008.
I'm thinking that Lincoln faced far, far more severe problems in his day than we are facing in ours. He was coping with an incredibly destructive civil war. For example, in just one day of battle at Antietam, there were four times as many casualties as there were on D-Day. There are differences in the times, to be sure. But even for his day Lincoln was less qualified based on experience that any of his competitors like Sewart, Bates, or Chase in the primary, and Stephen Douglas or John Breckenridge in the general election. And he was far less qualified than Jefferson Davis, who Lincoln ran political rings around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,147 posts, read 18,123,288 times
Reputation: 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
What's interesting is that the 20% of white that wouldn't vote for Obama because he's black, is racist. But the 90%+ of blacks that voted for Obama because he is, is not. What a strange, strange world.

This reasoning is what I call the Goebbels Twist---making the victim out as the victimizer. Like when Protestants in Ulster complain they're getting a raw deal because they can no longer give Catholics a raw deal.

Racism is bad because it can harm people, hold them back and treat them unfairly. The Black people in this country lack the power to do those things to whites. After several hundred years of bondage and Jim Crow Blacks are now accused of racism because they vote just like any other ethnic group up in Chicago would? Irish favor Irish, Poles favor Poles, Mexicans favor Mexicans etc. Just when the Blacks get to play the game we should change the rules and yank the rug out from under them? "Oh, that's how the game was played when it worked for me. Now that it works for you we're gonna change the rules." ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,911 posts, read 6,576,063 times
Reputation: 5441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I have a better idea; we give Texas back to the Mexicans and Comanches.
http://www.sslzone.com/emflag/images/come-and-take-it.jpg (broken link)

God bless WASP's defiant to authoritarian governments and the savages that scalped innocent women and children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,911 posts, read 6,576,063 times
Reputation: 5441
Blacks have it better here than any other country in the world. We did them a favor by bringing them over here. Instead of sitting in famine, pestilence, squaller, and under constant duress from war lord thugs, they live like kings compared to 95% of the world population. there is no such thing as a poor person in America. stop whining and stop asking for more entitlements filthy leftists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
1,448 posts, read 4,218,431 times
Reputation: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Blacks have it better here than any other country in the world. We did them a favor by bringing them over here.
I am hoping that this is some kind of joke and you're not saying that two centuries of slavery followed by a century of almost complete discrimination is somehow balanced out by their lives today. I'm thinking that blacks historically earned the right to their current treatment.

If you are not joking, then I can only say that I'm proud to be on the opposite side of the argument from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 09:35 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,147 posts, read 18,123,288 times
Reputation: 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
http://www.sslzone.com/emflag/images/come-and-take-it.jpg (broken link)

God bless WASP's defiant to authoritarian governments and the savages that scalped innocent women and children.

The Gonzales gun eh?

Come and take it? Why, I don't want it.

Remember what Little Phil Sheridan said; if he owned Hell and Texas he'd live in Hell and rent out Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
Reputation: 2116
Irishtom are you and Visvidalis friends? Y'all remind me of each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Far Western KY
1,833 posts, read 5,751,677 times
Reputation: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
This reasoning is what I call the Goebbels Twist---making the victim out as the victimizer. Like when Protestants in Ulster complain they're getting a raw deal because they can no longer give Catholics a raw deal.

Racism is bad because it can harm people, hold them back and treat them unfairly. The Black people in this country lack the power to do those things to whites. After several hundred years of bondage and Jim Crow Blacks are now accused of racism because they vote just like any other ethnic group up in Chicago would? Irish favor Irish, Poles favor Poles, Mexicans favor Mexicans etc. Just when the Blacks get to play the game we should change the rules and yank the rug out from under them? "Oh, that's how the game was played when it worked for me. Now that it works for you we're gonna change the rules." ???
Black people lack power? Is not a black man running for president? Are there no blacks working it very high positions in government? The only power black lost is by taking government hand out and turning it into a way of life, that how you give up personal power is by not DOING for YOURSELF. You become helpless and dependent on the system and by doing that and you regardless of skin your color relinquish personal power and you can thank the democrats for that. Oddly they want to take more power away from the people because they think they know what's best for you, well I'll be the judge of what best for my family, because I'm not going to relinquish person power to choose.
Blaming "the man" is a cop out as there are plenty of people from all walks of life, including blacks that started with nothing, even less than nothing and now have something.
You can blame racism but I'm not buying it, it's a lack of person drive and that is not divided along ethnic lines. If people only voted for people like them, then Richardson would have won the Hispanic vote, he didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,147 posts, read 18,123,288 times
Reputation: 9848
Davart---Individual Blacks have power but as a group they have very little and certainly not enough to <as a group> screw over whites and I doubt any black individual has the power to do you much harm either. Black racism can't harm you, white racism can and still does harm Blacks.

Now there's less racism against Blacks than there used to be but I've no doubt it's still there and still harmful to many Blacks. Hell, I've seen it myself in the workplace, seen qualified black people held back because they were black, I've had to fight against such decisions.

You say people should pull themselves up and I agree but I also realize it's HARDER for a Black to do so. That it's harder is evidence of the results of racism.

Classism also makes it harder for working class Whites to pull themselves up; racism is far from being the only evil out there. But classism is another story.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 02:12 AM
 
Location: central Kentucky
246 posts, read 940,516 times
Reputation: 77
Default highliner

IrishTom, please stop telling us how hard it is to be black in America. I am, I don't think you are, and it gives me the heebie jeebies to read your posts about how we think, vote, or live. That being said, however, I believe that you are quite intelligent, and I agree with some of what you've written here. As far as that guy from Texas is concerned, I hope some band of N***as drags your tail off to Mozambique for some REAL real world education. After all, I'm sure it would be in your own best interest, so you can thank me now, not in 400+ years. Davart, I've read your posts with interest, but I remain unsure of your ultimate point of view, so I'll refrain from comment...for now. Peace out. Post Script: I didn't vote for Obama. He comes off to me as another empty, rattling head, and I think we've mostly all had enough of that, in this presidency. I cast mine for Hillary- in thought only, as I am registered Independent- but would select John Mccain over Uncle Obama and his bs fairy tales, any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top