Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,408,043 times

Advertisements

As a rule I ignore the folk in the general threads that bash Kentucky as a some backwoods, inbred, barefoot, toothless hick bunch of people. However, with the recent primary election here there has been a lot of talk about KY and WV and most of it is a just insults. Most of them are lashing out since KY didn't much care for Obama ... that makes us racist, not perceptive that he is a liar.
Now I rarely bash any other state unless it's a legitimate complaint and not a stereotype. I believe you should stick to facts not just random hateful comments to make yourself feel better. Not only does it undermine any meaningful point you have to make, it's just childish. I'm not naming names, but in the Political threads there are many repeat offenders. I ignore them, but it does get old that these stereotypes continue to be spouted to the uninformed.
Now I have thick skin, but some of the comments about our glorious state are just rude and that the nicest way I can say it. I know we are not going to change these 'iggits' mind nor do I care. The irony is most of the people making these comments are trolls that do not list what state or area they are from, I guess putting down "Mommy's Basement" is just to embarrassing.
So do you see these comments and what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,124,206 times
Yes, I have seen them and they infuriate me, but you have to consider the source. They really are ignorant to the facts. They don't know anything at all about Kentucky or West Virginia for that matter.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,653,518 times
Well yeah, I think it's true than many Kentuckians didn't vote for Obama because they're racist, Hell, I've talked to a few myself. Of course it's certainly not true that anyone who voted for Clinton (as I did) is a racist but it's naive to deny that racism was at work in many decisions.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well yeah, I think it's true than many Kentuckians didn't vote for Obama because they're racist, Hell, I've talked to a few myself. Of course it's certainly not true that anyone who voted for Clinton (as I did) is a racist but it's naive to deny that racism was at work in many decisions.

And you don't think there are people in every state that won't vote for him because of race? It is not limited to West Virginia and Kentucky. His race makes no difference to me, it is his political agenda I don't agree with.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
I'm with y'all Dixie and Davart. I think the comment he made about guns and religion and the church he chose to attend had a great deal to do with the election outcome as well.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,774,824 times
I love Kentucky but let's not sugar-coat this. Our state has a lot of problems. We are at the bottom of almost every health ranking. We are at the bottom of almost every health educational ranking. We have a dysfunctional legislature. We seem to have an anti-intellectual bias. And anyone who thinks that a lot of Kentuckians didn't vote against Obama for one reason and one reason only just isn't listening. I heard lots of comments about his race, just like I heard lots of comments about Tubby's race.

Now I hasten to add that I don't think all Kentuckians are prejudiced. Moreover, there were legitimate reasons to vote against Obama. And certainly this is not an issue limited strictly to Kentucky and West Virginia. But it's just as bad to underestimate this problem as it is to overestimate it.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:56 PM

714 posts, read 1,533,974 times
There are just as many people that WILL vote for him JUST BECAUSE he is black, as the people who won't vote for him because he is black. Who cares what color he is, if people are that ignorant that they will or won't vote because of the color of skin....they need help...and an iq test before they are allowed to vote.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I love Kentucky but let's not sugar-coat this. Our state has a lot of problems. We are at the bottom of almost every health ranking. We are at the bottom of almost every health educational ranking. We have a dysfunctional legislature. We seem to have an anti-intellectual bias. And anyone who thinks that a lot of Kentuckians didn't vote against Obama for one reason and one reason only just isn't listening. I heard lots of comments about his race, just like I heard lots of comments about Tubby's race.

Now I hasten to add that I don't think all Kentuckians are prejudiced. Moreover, there were legitimate reasons to vote against Obama. And certainly this is not an issue limited strictly to Kentucky and West Virginia. But it's just as bad to underestimate this problem as it is to overestimate it.

I think he won in Louisville. I do realize that racism exists all over the nation and more in some demographics than others, but have you read some of things posted about Kentucky and the people of Kentucky? Very hate filled rhetoric that is just as stereotypical as someone that is a racist.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,408,043 times
Nobody is sugar coating anything I find a bucket of negative out any state/commonwealth, it's not just KY or WV or TN or any of the classically rural states that have their negatives. I'd like to see someone in NY or CA go off and leave their doors unlocked or their keys in their truck ... I can and not worry about it because I know no one is going to mess with anything.
To be fair I don't have much use for Hillary McBama (that's all 3) but Obama stated that Hillary won KY because Arkansas is closer to KY than his home state ... excuse me??!! Since when Mr. Harvard grad? This ole uneducated redneck, clinging to my guns and bible knows that IL actually boarders KY and AR doesn't, I didn't even go to Harvard (good thing or I'd be clueless on geography) I also know there us only 50 states and not 58, as Obama stated. I also know Germany and Japan were small countries, so what's you're point about Iran, Cuba and North Korea being small and posing no threat, tell that to the 100 million that died in WWII about no threat from a small country. I can tell the difference between a 8 year old girl reading poetry on a airstrip and sniper fire, Hillary. (don't worry she has a lot more lies no need to list them all here) All of them lie, all 3 and they think that a lot of the country folks in rural America are just to stupid to see it. Well we're not, at least the ones I know are not. Sure there are a few that believe Obama is Muslim, he's not and there are those that believe Hillary really cares about the country and not her own self interest, she doesn't. And there are those that believe McCain will actually secure the boarders and be a good conservative, he won't and there are still more people that actually believe the people in congress are really going to clean things up and make the country better ... that's laughable.
But as far as racism goes, if there is NOT nation wide racism and not just in the south or rural America then why does Obama get nearly 90-100% of the black vote regardless for the city or state? Is it that he is the best canidate? Or is it something else? I'm guessing the latter.
As I've said, I don't know anyone that voted for Obama and I don't know anyone that didn't because he black and the folks I know would say so openly if that was the reason. They didn't vote for him because he is inexperienced, naive, a poor judge of character, and his story changes with the wind ... but he did say his campaign was about change, just didn't say it was his position and stories that were the change. I HOPE he can find the truth.
Hillary's pretty much out, but at least she did spend time in KY. I don't trust her any further than I can throw her, but she's a known evil. McCain, well what can I say I'd rather have a veteran that I agree with about 40% of the time than someone I agree with 0% of the time.
Well I got off topic while I was clinging to my guns and bibles, but point is I just get sick and tired of seeing people that know so little about KY and have likely never even been here trash our state, is KY perfect, no ... but no place is perfect. However I'd rather have my glass half full than half empty.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,653,518 times
Come again Davart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky