U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:13 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,567,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I'm always leery of small towns that derive their self-worth from a high school football team.
Now THAT is so true!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 PM

26 posts, read 74,129 times
OK, Mayfield just rose exponentially in my mind with a Lowes. Can't live without one closeby. I an a "Closet tool junkie". Not that I know how to use them, but I love having them and thinking someday I'll learn to use them. How sad is that?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,755,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Are you my spokesperson now??? That is NOT what I meant and I find your comments to be racist. Please don't voice YOUR opinion on MY behalf.
You've made comments about Mayfield Hispanic population before so get off your high horse. I can't voice your opinion I'm just not that negative.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
You've made comments about Mayfield Hispanic population before so get off your high horse. I can't voice your opinion I'm just not that negative.
Yeah...and??? What does that have to do with THIS thread? You seem to ASSume too much.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSCantrell View Post
OK, Mayfield just rose exponentially in my mind with a Lowes. Can't live without one closeby. I an a "Closet tool junkie". Not that I know how to use them, but I love having them and thinking someday I'll learn to use them. How sad is that?
I don't think you will go wrong with Mayfield. They have the usual fast-food joints and a bunch of good BBQ restaurants if you like that. If you need a mall, you are 20 mintues from Paducah, which has even more chain-type restaurants. As far as safety, Mayfield/Graves County have their usual happenings, but NOTHING like on the scale of Phoenix. You will enjoy the area.

Check out Murray too before making your final decision. It is also a nice area.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 PM

I'm sure we will check out several of the surrounding areas. Your input has been helpful and entertaining. If you can think of anything else I should know...feel free to let me know.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM

6,971 posts, read 12,388,074 times
I got to read this one a little late but I grew up in Mayfield. First graduating class in the "new" Mayfield High School (Class of "74). My parents still live there and I enjoy going back to visit. Mayfield is one of those small towns where everybody knows each other. Growing up in town, if there was a death somewhere on your block, usually somebody in the neighborhood would take up a collection for flowers. On our block, my mother usually volunteered me! lol I know it's changed a lot since then but it still has that home town feel. When my wife and I were house looking we checked out several in town online. TS, even without a Lowes, it was a good town! lol

Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 PM

Kygman,

I agree with you. Mayfield seems like a very nice town and we are very serious about coming out there and taking a look around. My comment about Lowe's was very tongue-in-cheek, but I may have ended up having to live thru Lowe's withdrawals...lol

Old 06-04-2008, 03:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,755,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I got to read this one a little late but I grew up in Mayfield. First graduating class in the "new" Mayfield High School (Class of "74). My parents still live there and I enjoy going back to visit. Mayfield is one of those small towns where everybody knows each other. Growing up in town, if there was a death somewhere on your block, usually somebody in the neighborhood would take up a collection for flowers. On our block, my mother usually volunteered me! lol I know it's changed a lot since then but it still has that home town feel. When my wife and I were house looking we checked out several in town online. TS, even without a Lowes, it was a good town! lol
They still collect money for flowers and in the small outer towns (Farmington, Lowes [the town, not the store], Fancy Farm, Wingo etc.) they'll have a jar with a note taped on it at the store for flowers. They also do it if someone is sick and in need of money or help. They'll even have the jars at the mom and pop stores in town.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 PM

Wow, that money collecting business is very foreign to me. But I certainly like the idea of neighbors caring for neighbors. Mayfield just keeps sounding better and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky