U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,898,310 times

Advertisements

It's like any other small town in Kentucky. It has a Wal-Mart and some fast-food joints, all of which the locals gravitate toward because there's nothing else to offer. Oh wait, Mid-Continent University, a small Bible college essentially, is about four miles or so out on US 45 north.

It is really in the middle of nowhere. But at least you're closer to a few more options in Murray and Paducah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 AM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
It's like any other small town in Kentucky. It has a Wal-Mart and some fast-food joints, all of which the locals gravitate toward because there's nothing else to offer. Oh wait, Mid-Continent University, a small Bible college essentially, is about four miles or so out on US 45 north.

It is really in the middle of nowhere. But at least you're closer to a few more options in Murray and Paducah.
jcm, a national business magazine named Mayfield as one of the top "micropolitan" areas in the country for last year. New business is coming to town and things are picking up.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 14,626 times
wow kentuckydad, if you are that miserable there, maybe you would love to change places with me. I live in Sebastian, FL (east coast) I would gladly take small town, friendly people, and not many places to eat over mosquitoes, hurricanes, and enough humidity to choke a horse. By the way, we are thinking of relocating to that area. My hubby is an over the road truck driver and one of our issues is that he has no place to park his rig when he's on hometime. Is this an area of concern for your area? I also have a 9 year old daughter and would love info on the schools.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:43 PM

jrampy, he shouldn't have trouble with his rig. Plus Mayfield is right on the Purchase Parkway, which is in the Kentucky section of I-69 that will run from south Texas, near Brownsville, to Detroit, Mich.
I grew up in Mayfield but couldn't tell you much on the schools there now. Seems to me somebody in another thread once said that the Graves County school system rated high in the state testing. If I'm wrong on that I know I'll be corrected! lol

Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,039,360 times
Quote:
jcm, a national business magazine named Mayfield as one of the top "micropolitan" areas in the country for last year. New business is coming to town and things are picking up.
Yeah, new businesses of chicken houses and the things that are picking up are chicken feathers....

Mayfield's nice, but jobs? No; unless you want to work at McDonald's, Wal-Mart, etc.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 PM

Just had a new business start up last week. It's making clothes hangers and chemicals used in dry cleaning. Not the biggest industry but there's 40 jobs with another 20 hired later on.

Gonna be different looking at the corner of 7th and college and seeing a Walgreen's instead of the Church of Christ!

Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,752,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Just had a new business start up last week. It's making clothes hangers and chemicals used in dry cleaning. Not the biggest industry but there's 40 jobs with another 20 hired later on.

Gonna be different looking at the corner of 7th and college and seeing a Walgreen's instead of the Church of Christ!
Church of Christ has been gone awhile, at least 2 years. Been a empty lot since then.

There also building a new bank, a Arby's, a telemarketing place, and a couple of other things .... not bad growth for a small town.

The new factory going to hire 40 to start and expand to 150 within a year.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 PM

200 posts, read 714,329 times
i think kentuckydad should just cut his loses change his screen name and get outta the bluegrass... he seems miserable here

Old 07-12-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Church of Christ has been gone awhile, at least 2 years. Been a empty lot since then.
O know it's ben gone awhile but when you grew up there and it's been there all these years, it still looks odd to pull up at the light by Majestic and not see it there.

Where is that clothes hangar business? My dad thinks in the industrial park on 45 N.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:21 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,562,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
O know it's ben gone awhile but when you grew up there and it's been there all these years, it still looks odd to pull up at the light by Majestic and not see it there.

Where is that clothes hangar business? My dad thinks in the industrial park on 45 N.
Majestic is gone??? Shows you how much I get to Mayfield. I loved their food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky