U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,872 times

Advertisements

Well, hi there people, guess I'll get streight down to it.
Basicly I met a guy from Kentucky a few years back, I cant remember where abouts he was from, but basicly he was visiting our motorbike club over hear, and we showed him around ect. And now he has invited me and a few others over to Ky for a few days, personly, I would like to stay for 10 days or so, partly so that I can have a look around, and so I dont die of sleep deprivation the flights back.
So basicly, Im just wondering about the best places to visit, what there is to see ect, I dont care much for hotel conditions since at the end of the day, its the bed im intrested in.
And the important question... do you sell tea over there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 04:59 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,394,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeey View Post
Well, hi there people, guess I'll get streight down to it.
Basicly I met a guy from Kentucky a few years back, I cant remember where abouts he was from, but basicly he was visiting our motorbike club over hear, and we showed him around ect. And now he has invited me and a few others over to Ky for a few days, personly, I would like to stay for 10 days or so, partly so that I can have a look around, and so I dont die of sleep deprivation the flights back.
So basicly, Im just wondering about the best places to visit, what there is to see ect, I dont care much for hotel conditions since at the end of the day, its the bed im intrested in.
I'm not sure which area of Kentucky you will be visiting so I have listed a few places throughout the state. We do have tea, you can easily find it.

Here's a few good links:
Home - Kentucky Department of Tourism
Welcome to the Kentucky Horse Park - Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington
Creation Museum - Creation, Evolution, Science, Dinosaurs, Family, Christian Worldview - Creation Museum - Creation Museum in Boone County
National Corvette Museum - Corvette Museum in Bowling Green
My Old Kentucky Home.com - And of course My Old KY Home in Bardstown.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,754,229 times
Quote:
Yes, we sell sugar with a little tea in it. But it is rare for folks to put cream in their tea here.

Are you bringing your bikes or renting some bikes here? KY is about over 400 miles (650 km) from end to end. I'm guessing you'll fly into Northern KY Airport (outside Cincinnati, Ohio)

There is a lot to see in KY from end to the other. The mountains are a nice ride, down through horse country into the knobs and on into bourbon country, down to the flat lands of western KY all the way over the the Mississippi River (my end).
I would stay of the interstates and take the backroads, you'll miss a lot on the interstates they are for point A to point B don't see anything. So take the backroads, lots of hidden gems on those, small towns and shops that you'd otherwise pass over on a map.
To promote my end of the state, I'd go see the Land Between the Lakes, nice wooded ride, real good eating in Grand Rivers, KY as Patti's 1880, many local artist and crafts in Paducah, KY on the Ohio River. Down to the cotton fields and cypress swamps of the far western end on the Mississippi River. There is no way you'll see it all in 10 days, anymore than seeing all of Britain in 10 days. Beautiful country by the way, been that a few times, mainly the ancestral homeland of Scotland.

But here is a nice place to start planning your trip ...
Home - Kentucky Department of Tourism

Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 PM

9,585 posts, read 20,468,292 times
My top places to visit for a non native would be:

1. A tour of the Horse Farms around Lexington
2. Mammoth Cave - the world's longest cave system
3. Abraham Lincoln Birthplace in Hodgenville
4. Churchill Downs/ KY Derby Museum / Louisville Slugger Museum / Muhammad Ali Center
5. Cumberland Falls

Old 06-07-2008, 07:44 PM

34 posts, read 259,470 times
You can get you some good sweet tea anywhere while you cruise the back roads... Make sure you try some hickory-smoked pulled pork between two corncakes with some good sides. The southern cuisine of kentucky is unbeatable. Patti's is a great place to get some, in Grand Rivers, because its got stuff for visitors to look at and authentic cuisine, but make sure to find you a hole-in-the-wall bbq joint... Cumberland falls should be seen..... Breaks Interstate Park..... Land between the Lakes............ and louisville if you must

Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,564,960 times
Find some good ol' Kentucky bourbon and get sloshed. Just be sure you have somewhere air-conditioned to enjoy your beverage or else you will be sorry with this kind of heat and humidity!!! ENJOY!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 09:06 PM

820 posts, read 2,528,379 times
Sweet tea!!! Ummm!!!

There are lots of wineries and distilleries that you can tour - many around Franklin/Lawrenceburg/Woodford County area.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:25 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,902,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My top places to visit for a non native would be:

1. A tour of the Horse Farms around Lexington
2. Mammoth Cave - the world's longest cave system
3. Abraham Lincoln Birthplace in Hodgenville
4. Churchill Downs/ KY Derby Museum / Louisville Slugger Museum / Muhammad Ali Center
5. Cumberland Falls
I agree with censusdata. May I also suggest Land Between the Lakes in far west Kentucky, Cumberland Gap National Historical Park in far southeast Kentucky, and the city of Louisville in general. If you make it to any of these regions, I would also consider these musts!

Kentucky is a nice place to visit, but to live...well, not all of us enjoy living here. Nonetheless, enjoy your visit.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:44 AM

6,966 posts, read 12,382,114 times
Glad somebody mentioned the Land Between the Lakes. Also Paducah has quite a bit to offer. If you're going to be here around Aug. 24, you can go to Henderson, check out John James Audubon Park, then slip across the river to Evansville In. to see Bob Dylan in concert.
I have lived in Kentucky all my life (so far! lol) Wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Old 06-08-2008, 06:49 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,559,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernky View Post
You can get you some good sweet tea anywhere while you cruise the back roads... Make sure you try some hickory-smoked pulled pork between two corncakes with some good sides. The southern cuisine of kentucky is unbeatable. Patti's is a great place to get some, in Grand Rivers, because its got stuff for visitors to look at and authentic cuisine, but make sure to find you a hole-in-the-wall bbq joint... Cumberland falls should be seen..... Breaks Interstate Park..... Land between the Lakes............ and louisville if you must
You can get sweet tea in my neck of the woods too and I agree with everything else you said too Oh and if you like cute shops/flea markets go to Glendale about an hour south of Louisville: http://www.historicglendale.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky