Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:25 PM

36 posts, read 64,848 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I am very interested in possibly relocating to Richmond, KY. I have heard plenty of great things about Richmond but am starting to wonder, what's wrong with it? lol. Are there certain areas of the town that I should stay away from? Any dangerous areas? Where is the safest place to live? In general, what's bad about Richmond. Any info is great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:02 PM

439 posts, read 1,228,440 times
I wnet ot EKU and lived in Richmond year round for about three. I loved it. I think the main problem was the traffic. everyone seems to be on the bypass and it makes a long drive from one end of the town to the other. I used side roads alot. Also, I lived in the foxglove apartments by Gibson bay,and around there they had some less than great places. All in all though I love Richmond, and it's getting bigger more stores are being added, good choice.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,533,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatyourvegetables View Post
Hello.
In general, what's bad about Richmond. Any info is great. Thanks!
Nothing that I can think of. Although, the Bluegrass Army Depot is an area I would rather not have as my neighbor. West and South of Richmond seems to be where most of the growth is taking place. There's a huge new shopping center under construction off the interstate called Richmond Centre. And it's already been mentioned that traffic on the Eastern Bypass can be bad.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 PM

Yikes! The Bluegrass Army Depot sounds terrifying! Where is it located in Richmond? (N, E, S, W???) And is the water contaminated because of this facility?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,257,798 times
Quote:
Yikes! The Bluegrass Army Depot sounds terrifying! Where is it located in Richmond? (N, E, S, W???) And is the water contaminated because of this facility?
Bluegrass Army Depot is the site where many of the US military's nerve and biological weapons have been stored for many decades. When I was in college at UK in the early 70's, the Army wanted to destroy the weapons, but the public outcry prevented the transportation of those weapons, so now some 30 plus years later, the destruction is going to be done on-site.

But that being said, a key to Richmond's reputation occured to me several years ago when I tried to find the county's property valuation administrator (PVA). It was during that research, I discovered that Kentucky, which has 120 counties, has only 119 PVA's while Madison County still has a Tax Commissioner. The change from Tax Commissioner to PVA was made by the Kentucky Legislature in the circa 1968. It might also be noted that the PVA is supposed to inspect all properties occasionally to ascertain all property's fair market value. I found it odd that the Tax Commissioner or properly PVA had photo's of all the Richmond area properties, but none of Berea or Waco.

Interesting, maybe or maybe not, but very indictive of Richmond's backwards attitude with regard to government.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:55 AM

Hmm...that is interested.

But, does anyone know where the depot is locating in richmond (N, E, S, or W). And is the water contaminated in the town?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:58 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,257,798 times
Quote:
Hmm...that is interested.

But, does anyone know where the depot is locating in richmond (N, E, S, or W). And is the water contaminated in the town?
The depot is south of town on US 25 towards Berea. No, it is safe in every way right now.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 AM

I noticed on one of my maps that it says there's an industrial park called "Bluegrass Station." Is the depot near this station? Also, what kind of industries (factories) are in Richmond? Lastly, is there a certain area of Richmond that's run down and you'd recommend not living in?

Old 05-29-2008, 02:38 PM

439 posts, read 1,228,440 times
My room mate was a fire guy at EKU, and his Prof told him that if there were ever a fire at the Depot the falmes would be so strong they would destroy the chemicals and there really wasnt anything to worry about. I would belive some one with a masters and former fire fighter.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,747,982 times
I'm not a Richmond fan. Some of the townspeople don't, uhmmmm...keep up with appearances. Meaning, Richmond is not a poor or lazy community but some choose to dress in a scroungy manner thinking it's more "country," when in fact it really isn't "country." I think a person from out-of-state could only move here and live a while to really begin to understand it.

EKU has a beautiful campus and a large shopping center is going up along KY 876. Otherwise, Richmond isn't a very nice town at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky