U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,878,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I don't understand the appeal of minor league baseball. I can see a Reds game for cheaper than a Louisville Bats game. The quality of minor leagues is the same as college, and I can see a college baseball game for FREE at U of L and UK has very cheap ticket prices
Minor league games are usually fun and laid back and geared toward families. Typically you can get much better seats for cheaper than big leagues. Reds tickets are cheap for MLB, check out ticket prices at Fenway, Wrigley, Dodgers Stadium, Yankee stadium... Those are the top dogs, but the Reds probably have some of the cheapest ticket prices in the country. I love minor league baseball, it seems more "pure" than big league games, although I like MLB as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:47 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,633,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Plus, if you live 60 miles north of BG, you'll go to the Riverbats, if you were 60 miles south, you are in Nashville, you'd go to the Sounds. My point about Lexington is that much of central KY and all of eastern KY goes to Lexington for entertainment: concerts, UK basketball/football, weekend in the "big city"... because there are no other options. As far as I know, the Legends do pretty well attendance wise for a single A team. I just don't think there is enough people to pull from around BG for this to be successful. Hopefully, I am proven wrong.
My son played on that field in Lexington in a tournament when he was playing on a traveling team.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:24 PM

101 posts, read 376,146 times
I don't think a minor league baseball field in the downtown district is really what Bowling Green needs. The ground was actually just broken today and it has been two years since the whole thing started.

I would rather have seen a performing arts center, better restaurants, and less focus on sports.
Emmie

Old 06-05-2008, 09:35 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,633,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie3g View Post
I don't think a minor league baseball field in the downtown district is really what Bowling Green needs. The ground was actually just broken today and it has been two years since the whole thing started.

I would rather have seen a performing arts center, better restaurants, and less focus on sports.
Emmie

Look at the youtube video where it shows Skypac, that is going to be a nice performing arts center downtown. I love sports, but I just feel the baseball thing was not in the best interest of everyone and is being built for the special interests of a few.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:39 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
is being built for the special interests of a few.
Wow that sounds like Louisville!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 AM

3,790 posts, read 7,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Minor league games are usually fun and laid back and geared toward families. Typically you can get much better seats for cheaper than big leagues. Reds tickets are cheap for MLB, check out ticket prices at Fenway, Wrigley, Dodgers Stadium, Yankee stadium... Those are the top dogs, but the Reds probably have some of the cheapest ticket prices in the country. I love minor league baseball, it seems more "pure" than big league games, although I like MLB as well.
The ticket prices are usually set against the teams salary. The higher the team salary, the higher the ticket prices. Reds tickets are cheap because their roster is as well. Their wins and losses reflect that.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:45 AM

31 posts, read 79,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie3g View Post

Emmie
Thats also a part of the plan...the baseball stadium is first along with a huge parking structure. Then there will be all sorts of commercial space, condos, restaurants.

Circus square park is almost ready to be opened and will provide a big boost to green space downtown, it will also have commercial restaurant space.

There is also a Performing Arts Center that was built a few years back next to WKU. Theres always live performances on campus at FAC's theater and also at the Capitol Arts Center

Bowling Green is really a city of potential I think...theres more here than just the urban sprawl of campbell lane and scottsville road. Thats more than many Kentucky towns I've lived in or visited can say. We've also got a new bus system that seems to be doing well.

Then theres WKU with it's explosion of population and construction projects. The campus is caring more about the environment as well, their seeking LEED accreditation with their latest project and recycling materials from the PFT renovation....Sports usually get all the headlines, but there is more there if you look beyond!!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:16 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,560,619 times
The best part is that people will still go to Nashville and L'ville instead of staying in town.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:15 PM

I live in Bowling Green and right now there is no funding for SkyPac. Donations and sponsors have been low low low. Bowling Green does a lot of talking but it takes money to have action. I have lived here 12 years and have never gone to a performance at WKU. We go to Nashville for Broadway plays. The Capitol has children's show and dance recitals and very little inbetween that is the same caliber as major cities. Circus Square is basically a green space. No restaurants or anything around it. They are fighting over what to do with the building of an old gas station on the corner.
Emmie

Old 06-08-2008, 04:26 PM

I just watched the YouTube video. A Crown Plaza hotel? I doubt it. We get the cheaper versions of all hotels-Courtyard By Marriott, Hilton Garden, Hampton, Holiday Inn. Restaurants open and close all the time near the square.
Emmie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky