U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,393,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
I m probably calling them by the wrong name. Back in the day, many years ago when Route 25 was the main road,l there would be these little roadside places that sold dishes, etc. They would have the chenille bedspreads, most of them with an ostrich in the middle of them hanging on what looked to be clothes lines.

A lot has changed on that old road. Not a lot of businesses left. I guess I75 did a real number on them.

LOL, I am probably talking about way before your time.
Oh, that's interesting to know! I think the interstate was built in Laurel Co in the late 50's?? Not for sure about that though. There is the Rockcastle River Trading Company on the river (Rockcastle / Laurel County line), it used to be some kind of Indian village that had canoes that you could ride on the river with? That's what I've heard anyway. Way before my time though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 PM

308 posts, read 507,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh, that's interesting to know! I think the interstate was built in Laurel Co in the late 50's?? Not for sure about that though. There is the Rockcastle River Trading Company on the river (Rockcastle / Laurel County line), it used to be some kind of Indian village that had canoes that you could ride on the river with? That's what I've heard anyway. Way before my time though.
I think the section of I-75 through Laurel County opened around late 68 or early 69, Dec. Jan. Possibly from the state line to Mt. Vernon. There was a lot of things on north 25 before the interstate opened. Does anyone remember the original dog patch? Or the London hall restaurant? I'll try to remember some more.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 AM

295 posts, read 813,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
I think the section of I-75 through Laurel County opened around late 68 or early 69, Dec. Jan. Possibly from the state line to Mt. Vernon. There was a lot of things on north 25 before the interstate opened. Does anyone remember the original dog patch? Or the London hall restaurant? I'll try to remember some more.

I think you may be right about when the interstate opened. I know for the longest time, when we would be traveling from here in Cincy to down home, it was only interstate to Lexington. Seems like once it got to Richmond, it got built faster.

I remember the original Dog Patch. If I am remembering correctly, they had a snake in some kind of box and you could drop coins down into the box and try to talk the snake up the wall. I seem to remember my grandmaw talking about a young girl who almost got the snake all the way to the top of the cage/container it lived in. We stopped at the Dog Patch Trading Post a few years ago. LOL, they were still selling those silly hill billy hats.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
Ok, so I was off by about 10 years. lol

Original Dog Patch? Where was it located?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 PM

295 posts, read 813,312 times
Quote:
Ok, so I was off by about 10 years. lol

Original Dog Patch? Where was it located?
It was on 25.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:51 PM

The original Dog patch was on north 25 ...about where the log yard is now. If I remember correctly there was a restaurant at the log yard location and Dog Patch was just north a little. When the Interstate was built it took a lot if not all of the property.

The London Hall restaurant was in the narrow section on South 25 where Dixie street enters 25 (between 25 and Dixie). London Hall was famous for it's country hams.They built some kind of restaurant there a few years back but, it didn't make it. I think there are some kind of offices in the building now. The old London Hall motel is still there across the street...but not the same name now.

There was a Stuckey's where Laminated Timbers is now on South 25 between London and Corbin.

Someone mentioned the Indian Village that was near the Rockcastle, laurel line....I think, I could be wrong on the location.

Does anyone remember when London had a commercial airline that made a stop at the London/Corbin Airport. Piedmont Airlines I believe out of north Carolina.

I'll try to think of some more. Hope I don't tell my age but, it's fun to look back...I guess that's what you do when you get old.

Oh ya...does anyone remember King's truck stop and where it was?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:14 PM

HiBall, I don't remember any of that stuff so thanks for the info! I'm 31 by the way.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
HiBall, I don't remember any of that stuff so thanks for the info! I'm 31 by the way.
Well...I'm 56. I remember a lot but, I wish we had some more people on here that remembers. It's fun to look back. I'll keep thinking.

King's Truck stop was on South 25 where the Fed X depot is now.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:29 PM

11 posts, read 24,662 times
Looks like a beautiful town!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:39 PM

15 posts, read 40,833 times
Smile Great Place to Live!!

London is a great place to live. You may go to the church of your choice, send your kids to some of the nicest schools in the state, visit flea markets on the weekend, enjoy the new hospital that is a state of art for the medical field. There are many other reasons to visit or move to London, it is your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky