U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,564,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
True, the loss of those stores is a hit, but to say that this is happening only in Paducah is wrong. Dawahares, CC, and Linens and Things are all bankrupt and have closed all of their stores. Office Max is in a similar position, but I don't think they've closed 100% of their stores. These stores closed in Paducah just like they closed in Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, and other cities around the country. Store closings are happening everywhere. However, there will be stores that come along that will take their place as the economy recovers. It's going to take decades for Paducah to not be the retail center of the Purchase area. Even though it is essentially at a neutral growth rate, McCracken county will be the largest county in the Purchase for the foreseeable future and is also in the enviable position of being in the center of the population as opposed to places like Mayfield or Murray.
Paducah is losing population, but anyway. Murray will become the largest city in the Purchase within 15 years.

Even though this thread is nearly three years old, I can't seem to recall any stores closing in Murray. What helps Paducah is the interstate and what helps Murray is the 10K students that are here nine months a year and the influx daily of people from TN who come here to save tax money. Anyway, those empty stores came in handy. They had to have some place to hold the quilt show. Really, both cities will be fine. Well, Murray will be fine and Paducah will be fine if they can find a way to stop the population from fleeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,761,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Paducah is losing population, but anyway. Murray will become the largest city in the Purchase within 15 years.

Even though this thread is nearly three years old, I can't seem to recall any stores closing in Murray. What helps Paducah is the interstate and what helps Murray is the 10K students that are here nine months a year and the influx daily of people from TN who come here to save tax money. Anyway, those empty stores came in handy. They had to have some place to hold the quilt show. Really, both cities will be fine. Well, Murray will be fine and Paducah will be fine if they can find a way to stop the population from fleeing.
Paducah's population within it's city limits is irrelevant as it pertains to retail business in the mall area. The strategic location, gives those within a 50 mile radius access to national retail chains, that otherwise would require a 2+ hour drive.

Retail hub wise, Murray has issues similar to those of Marion, IL. Marion's market area is limited by the proximity of St. Louis and Paducah. Murray's by Nashville and Paducah. Neither town can attract the population base in the outlying areas, the same as Paducah does. It's not a matter of business acumen, inept city politics, or core city population. It's simply a geographical issue.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Paducah's population within it's city limits is irrelevant as it pertains to retail business in the mall area. The strategic location, gives those within a 50 mile radius access to national retail chains, that otherwise would require a 2+ hour drive.

Retail hub wise, Murray has issues similar to those of Marion, IL. Marion's market area is limited by the proximity of St. Louis and Paducah. Murray's by Nashville and Paducah. Neither town can attract the population base in the outlying areas, the same as Paducah does. It's not a matter of business acumen, inept city politics, or core city population. It's simply a geographical issue.
If you consider a cities population as "irrelevant"...OK. However you want to spin it. BTW, Target has repeatedly said no to Paducah for a reason.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
If you consider a cities population as "irrelevant"...OK. However you want to spin it. BTW, Target has repeatedly said no to Paducah for a reason.
I don't have to spin anything. The mall area is comparable to any in a large suburban area, and I'm glad it's there. As for Target, who knows what their business model is? And perhaps some local business leaders have spit in Target's Wheaties, to the point they'll never put a store in Paducah. Target aside, you can't deny the presence and success of the many other chain establishments in Paducah.

I would be interested in your "spin" on Murray State building a new branch campus in Paducah.

Last edited by BLS2753; 05-23-2011 at 02:29 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Murray State has had a campus in Paducah for years and years. It will just be a more modern building. And Paducah does have a good retail presence. That doesn't bring in people to live however. I just find it odd that Paducah is/looks like a clean town, but for some reason, people are leaving. Why?

Old 05-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Murray State has had a campus in Paducah for years and years. It will just be a more modern building. And Paducah does have a good retail presence. That doesn't bring in people to live however. I just find it odd that Paducah is/looks like a clean town, but for some reason, people are leaving. Why?
I think the issue with the housing is that Paducah has a lot of old undesirable houses, that nobody wants. These are mostly smaller homes on small lots, and would require the redevelopment of entire city blocks if newer, larger homes were to be built.

There's also some racial issues involved, but difficult to quantify how much.

The other situation is that land in the outlying areas is cheap and accessible. 50 years ago, many of these areas were only served by gravel and dirt roads. That's no longer the case. So now what's the point of living "in town"?

This phenomenon affects most towns in the region. Any population growth will be reflected in county totals, not city ones. With the abundance of land and modern highways, it really doesn't make sense to live within these towns, that basically consist of old housing stock, petty politicians, and often less than desirable neighbors.

Paducah's not alone with population loss, it's just the most noticeable.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 PM

But McCracken County only gained 51 people (if I recall correctly) in the last ten years. I dunno...

Old 05-25-2011, 05:14 PM

I think looking at Marshall County is a good indicator of where many have moved. Gains of 2000-5000 every decade, and has doubled in population over the last 50 years.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I think looking at Marshall County is a good indicator of where many have moved. Gains of 2000-5000 every decade, and has doubled in population over the last 50 years.
Good point. I think McCracken/Paducah politics will finally do in that county/city.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:15 AM

868 posts, read 1,513,272 times
The population loss in the city of Paducah is multifactorial, but there are cities across the countries, both large and small, that have very similar problems. Fortunately for these areas, the population of the city proper doesn't mean a whole lot. What's more important is the population base and economic base of the service area. The city of Paducah only makes up ~15-20% of the population base that is serviced by the retail establishments in the city. Every population decline in the city has been met with a population increase in the surrounding areas that has maintained the economic base for the retail businesses.

No one really cares about city population because it really doesn't make a difference. If it did, Atlanta would be behind cities like Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville, Nashville, and Memphis in importance. Clearly, that's not the case. The city of St Louis has hemorrhaged population faster than Paducah, but the St Louis MSA has continued to increase in both population numbers and economic numbers. The city of Chicago losing population, yet construction of big-name developments downtown has continued because Chicagoland has not lost population.

While the scale of Paducah's population is different than those cities, the underlying principles of development of economic expansion are not. I will say that Paducah area's economic footprint has not kept of with other parts of the state. Bowling Green, Northern Kentucky, and Elizabethtown have all gained population and economic power in relationship to Paducah. But that doesn't mean the economic center of the Jackson Purchase is going to move to Benton or Murray or Mayfield anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky