U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 AM

7 posts, read 19,566 times

Advertisements

My husband just got transfered to the Corvette Assembly plant, he starts work on 6/23 we will be following him in three weeks. We have already rented a place in the Fairways at Hartland, and we know that they will be in the Briarwood schools. We have been on here reading your posts and talking to people and figured this would be the best start for us. We have only locked ourselves into a short term lease just in case......I just found out however that school starts on August 5th, my kids aren't even out of school till next week.......boy is that going to be a fun conversation when they get home!! Anyway I need to find a good pediatrician in the area because they will have to have a physical in KY before they can begin school. Any help in that area would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:50 PM

149 posts, read 688,800 times
Doesnt Briarwood schools know any docs they can recommend? And dont worry, it aint like they're gonna shut anybody out for paperwork on first day. Meanwhile ask the school if they serve breakfast for the kids, some counties do. And finally dont be surprised if paperwork's involved that allows the school to spank yer kids if they git outa line. Am not jokin, we had great fun with this when we transfered to more rural Metcalf coupla counties away - shocked our 7th grader that this was possible. Heck, I even fibbed and suggested they probly held public whippings of unruly kids in town square. Swear to god, never seen daughter look so horrified in her life but the paperwork was real.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,634,626 times
Here are two you might call and ask for a pediatrician: Graves Gilbert Clinic - 270-781-5111, Pediatric Associates 270-782-8700. Both of these have several pediatricians in their group of doctors.

We DO NOT allow spanking in either of our school systems. I can't believe anyone does. That is unheard of here. Also, they do take the paperwork and shot records very seriously, so go ahead and get it done early. Briarwood is one of the newer elementary schools and it is excellent. I never hear anything but good about it.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:07 PM

Mandatory drugging and doping of kids but no optional spanking clause with parents permission? I've heard about drug companies pushing all kinds of junk on kids these days. Assigning psyche diagnosis at an early age too. Nowadays most 3 yr olds have already been given more drugs than yer typical adult takes in a decade. Are schools allowed to push dope on trouble makers in the classroom?

Dont get me wrong, I've got alot of respect for the American Medicine Show - wonderful to see em inventing illnesses and cookin up remedies. Listen to em sell drugs on television, listing hilarious side effects. And the mandatory market of drugging school children, gittin em strung out on dope from an early age, makes perfect sense to me. Already we've got 40% of USA population takin some kinda drugs, makin us the most overly medicated nation on earth - lets try for 60%.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:43 PM

School systems are not allowed to prescribe drugs. If a child is seen by a medical professional, they might prescribe drugs if need be and would advise and give permission for somone in the school to administer if they need it during the day. You made quite a leap from permission to spank children to drugging them. Are you trying to scare this lady to death before she gets to Kentucky? Please don't help further the stereotypes that already exist about Kentucky and it's residents? I am curious to know which school district your children are in that allows spanking. I know several superintendents in Kentucky and would like to check into that.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:41 PM

As I've said, it was metcalf that offers the spanking option with parental permission. Yet these whippings are not held in public at town square, that part was exaggerated. Wish I'd saved a copy of the spanking form, we had great fun with it. The school also provides both breakfast and lunch for kids, another good idea. And during hunting season you can drive through the highschool parking lot and see rifles in gun racks of unlocked pickup trucks, some with windows rolled down - no problemo. In fact did ye hear about the bus driver at Ullyses Kentucky? She stopped her school bus to give a ride to hunter carrying a shotgun walkin down the road during turkey season. His grand-children were on the bus and the driver recognized the fellow. School authorities found out and the driver was suspended a month. Parents of all the kids decorated her bus and held a party to welcome her back with balloons and cake at the school yard when the suspension was over. She was a very popular driver and beloved by the community. This happened a year or two ago.

Am glad to hear Bowling Green does NOT prescribe drugs and push psyche diagnosis on troublesome kids, inventing weird illnesses. With lots of medical facilities and medical training at WKU down there i wasnt sure if the medicine show had snuck into the school system, pushing mandatory drugs'n dope on kids. But i guess thats mostly a california idea aint it?

Really the American Medicine Show has changed very little since olden days when doctors would travel in wagons peddling snake oil, traveling with gimp or crippled guy they planted in the crowd and *miraculously* cured. One of the healthiest people i know is 72 yr old neighbor who aint seen a doctor in 20 years. Meanwhile up at Louisville the U of L Dentistry School actually advertizes for *paid* volunteers to git their teeth cleaned and pulled by dentistry students, can ye believe it? And i dunno anybody who's been to U of L Hospital leaving in better shape they were in arriving.

Anyhow, I hope this thread has been helpful to calm the panic of newcomer moving to Bowling Green. Another thing you'll find at Kentucky is high school students put to work within the community, televising and broadcasting their own football games, operating radio programs and writing local newspaper articles. Many high schools also operate small farming operations with cattle, cows and chickens. You will be pressed to find a better place to raise your family.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:45 PM

Metcalfe County is just up the road from Bowling Green and it bothers me that the school systems are this drastically different. With school shootings occuring practically every month, no one should have a gun on school premises much less in the open window of a truck. I hope you are kidding. One of my son's friends in high school got expelled for several days for having a toy gun that shoots pellets in the seat of his truck because someone saw it and reported it.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
....just up the road from Bowling Green and it bothers me that the school systems are this drastically different.
Huh?? Y'all can travel just 15-20 miles in any direction outa Bowling Green and find none of the same politics, no mall/ chain store sell-out, zero interest in BG-styled sterile McMansion gated communities, no apartment complexes scared of dogs, none of the timid and transient college crowd settin the pace either. What makes ye think Bowling Green is representative of KY at large? Everywhere else in the commonwealth folks work out their own system of self government bereft of crybabies and tattle-tales (from outa county and outa state especially) tellin us what to do.

Quote:
.....got expelled for several days for having a toy gun
Really they kicked somebody outa school for bb-gun in the car?? Can understand if he was brandishing it as some kinda weapon, otherwise WTF. Otherwise sounds like a toss up which city Lexington or Bowling Green has the most base and petty rules and ordinances. God save the place from insufferable crybabies callin the shots, says me.

Can recollect similar story I've heard with somebody actually gettin kicked out of downtown Lexington Restaurant/Bar for sittin at the table with an *unlighted* cigar. This happened just after no-smokin legislation passed with anti-tobacco nazis goin berzerk. Yep, the fellow knew about anti-smokin ordinances so didnt light up outa curtesy to others. Nevertheless an old woman at opposite end of the place just *seein* the cigar started coughing, wheezing and thumpin her chest like she couldnt breath. It was pitiful - seemed like the old gal was gonna keel over and die right then and there. Maybe the *same* old lady bawled and bitchd about somebody havin a bb gun in the car at yer kid's high school?

Now for cryin out loud, do NOT tell yer son about the demolition derby with drivers young as high school age each summer at county fair just the other side of barren at metcalf as well. LOL, he might wanna enter - and that would twist yer panties into knot. Any jallopy can register with glass removed, doors roped shut. Helmets, harness and roll bar required. Its an hilarious event like you will never see at "politically correct" bowling green. But then BG has practically nothin in common with its neighbors, not alot in common with other warren co communities too - doncha think?

Old 06-14-2008, 03:44 AM

No matter your disdain for PC Bowling Green, you have to know that kids having guns in their trucks on school premises is crazy and irresponsible. The principal of Metcalfe County High was my son's baseball coach at Bowling Green High and I know he would never allow this. I am not one for over doing it with ordinances and yes Bowling Green gets a little ordinance crazy at times. I thought being expelled for a pellet gun was crazy also...it wasn't even real bb gun but shot those little plastic pellets. Bowling Green stil has a county fair and the county schools still have FFA so it is still a rural area. You can see chickens in certain parts of town, and I know the communities outside of Bowling Green and Warren County well. I have worked in most of them, but what you are describing is just careless.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:56 PM

47 posts, read 123,430 times
Welcome to the Bowling Green area! Like DixieGirl, I also live in Bowling Green. In fact, I worked at the Corvette plant for 11 years (about 15 years ago!) I quit when my second child was born. Bowling Green is a really nice place to live and raise a family. It is a lively community with a small-town feel to it. Briarwood is part of the Warren County system. I don't have personal knowledge of it but it is a fairly new school. My children attended McNeill Elementary (one of the top elementaries in the state), BG Jr. High, and BG High School which are City Schools. The districts are quite different although they both have some excellent schools. Before you buy a home, you might want to give some thought to the pros and cons of both districts. I have been very happy with Bowling Green City Schools. The academic standards are very high and their athletic programs are among the best in the state. I agree with DixieGirls recommendations on pediatricians. Both of my children saw doctors at Pediatric Associates when they were small. Dr. Chris Smith is especially nice. If you have other questions about the community, just ask. Good luck! (P.S. Don't let that other commenter scare you! Obviously, he/she doesn't know much about Bowling Green.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky